What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

Mormon Nailer

Supporter
Threads
Website
skin-of-our-teeth.blogspot.com
amazing writer. amazing guy
I reread The Wrench lately. I hadn't read him in years, but there was a time when I read his books obsessively.

Of the Auschwitz books I think The Drowned and the Saved is more interesting than If This is A Man. Though I think overall If Not Now When is my favourite of his.

It's surprising how little scholarship there is around his writing, the Auschwitz books are constantly namechecked, but there seems to be a polite disregard for his other work, which I think is a shame.

rettucs

Supporter
Threads
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013

picked up a penguin classics version for 2 euro in Easons a while back. Started it yesterday. Pretty compelling. I don't know the story of Dracula (know who he is/was but not the story behind the novel) so its all new to me.

diauhdiad?

Supporter
Threads
Dracula is great

Dracula Unbound bt Brian Aldiss is also well worth a read, Frankenstein Unbound by Aldiss is essential.

I've been reading Bandits by Eric Hobsbawm for the last week and a half, got as far as page 24 so far. its a history of bandits

diauhdiad?

Supporter
Threads
Inside Out: a Personal History of Pink Floyd by Nick Mason

Pretty entertaining. No really juicy scandalous revelations but lots of trivia. Norman Smith comes out of it very well, i never knew that it was he played drums on Remember A Day

MDR

Did you get my email?
Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Out Stealing Horse by Per Peterson. A norwegian writer with a book that splits between old age and childhood memories, sprinkled with episodes that suggest a connection between the two life periods without really being able to draw a clear link. Like many modern books, reading this was a nice place to be and it did leave me with the impression that it was meaningful, but I'd be hard pressed to say what it was about or what i could take from it.

It goes in the 'worth reading once' pile.

MDR

Did you get my email?
Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Just started Felix Holt the Radical by George Eliot. I was a bit disappointed by the Mill on the Floss but this has started out well.

I also read the august edition of WhatCar magazine, which compared the new Polo to nine other supermini contenders - the Polo came out of top.

Moods For Mallards

Threads
I reread The Wrench lately. I hadn't read him in years, but there was a time when I read his books obsessively.

Of the Auschwitz books I think The Drowned and the Saved is more interesting than If This is A Man. Though I think overall If Not Now When is my favourite of his.

It's surprising how little scholarship there is around his writing, the Auschwitz books are constantly namechecked, but there seems to be a polite disregard for his other work, which I think is a shame.
Yeah, I had an obsessive Levi phase too. My favourite one is The Periodic Table, without a doubt. The Drowned and the Saved cuts to the bone though. I underlined most of it when I was 16. Read it again a couple of years ago. Wished I hadn't ruined the book.
If Not Now, When? is a great action story besides anything else.

Cryptid

Threads
Offline for a few weeks - I needs to get some work
Website
thecrocodilequarter.tumblr.com
Yeah, I had an obsessive Levi phase too. My favourite one is The Periodic Table, without a doubt. The Drowned and the Saved cuts to the bone though. I underlined most of it when I was 16. Read it again a couple of years ago. Wished I hadn't ruined the book.
If Not Now, When? is a great action story besides anything else.
The Truce is pretty great as well. I love the Periodic Table too - the story of the lead miner is very memorable. Many of the stories are quite metaphysical, which is pretty unusual.

hugh

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
I've never read any Primo Levi but would like to. If one was to read one which one should it be?

Bernie Lomax

Threads
I've never read any Primo Levi but would like to. If one was to read one which one should it be?
at this point i've only read if this is a man and its sequel the truce, but i'd imagine they're the best intro to his work. if this is a man was written immediately after his return home from auschwitz and is about his time there. the truce is about the return journey home. if this is a man is his first book on the subject and it's astonishing. i can't wait to read more

Moods For Mallards

Threads
Hmm.
You can go straight to the pure Auschwitz stuff or the other stuff that has Auschwitz always looming in the background.
If the former, read The Drowned and the Saved and then move onto If This is a Man/The Truce (they come together in the usual edition you'll find).
If the latter, try The Periodic Table or If Not Now, When?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 3)

• pete
  • Bernie Lomax

We're listening to...

• O.Y. in Hi-Fi
    This Heart
    Optiganally Yours
    O.Y. in Hi-Fi

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads