What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

shidheat

Threads
i'm reading the plague by alert camus - haha!! no seriously though, i am. i'm half terrified to pick it up and at the same time morbidly obsessed with wanting to read more of it. it's like a rubbernecking at a car crash or something. all that said, it's pretty good reading - well written, like.

riath

Supporter
Threads
I’m reading Mark Lawerence’s Red Sister.
It’s pretty good so far but I preferred the dark humour of Broken Empire and Red Queens War.
Still, highly recommended for any Fantasy readers.

hugh

Supporter
Contributor
Since 2000
Threads
i'm reading the plague by alert camus - haha!! no seriously though, i am. i'm half terrified to pick it up and at the same time morbidly obsessed with wanting to read more of it. it's like a rubbernecking at a car crash or something. all that said, it's pretty good reading - well written, like.
I read that last year. Not going to re-read.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
I read The Plague again at the beginning of the month, it really got into a lot of the psychology that we're seeing at the moment. Similarly I'm currently reading The Last Man by Mary Shelley (humanity dies of a plague) and The Journal of a Plague Year by Daniel Defoe. The Shelley is very silly (and turgid) and the Defoe is wonderful, again really cuts to the psychology of being caught in this situation (and is another re-read for me).

hiadudiad?

Supporter
Threads
I haven't finished a single book this year. I started reading Middle C by William Gass in early January and it's a great read but I only got to page 200 the other day.

hugh

Supporter
Contributor
Since 2000
Threads
Reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and enjoying it. It’s the sort of blockbusting doorstopping pageturner I need right now. And there’s plenty of plague.

MacDara

Contributor
Threads
Website
macdaraconroy.com
I’ve started Mutations by Sam McPheeters (essays on his relationship with hardcore), and next up is Heavy by Dan Franklin (a thesis on metal as a lens to see the world). I’ve also been reading an oral history of MTV for the last year or so, picking it up on and off. I’ve been a terrible reader the last few years, mostly because I read for a ‘living’. I haven’t read fiction properly in the longest time, I just cannot get in the headspace for it.

shidheat

Threads
i read lonesome dove by larry mcmurty recently. really enjoyed it, and very relaxing escapism it is too.

hugh

Supporter
Contributor
Since 2000
Threads
I’ve started Mutations by Sam McPheeters (essays on his relationship with hardcore), and next up is Heavy by Dan Franklin (a thesis on metal as a lens to see the world). I’ve also been reading an oral history of MTV for the last year or so, picking it up on and off. I’ve been a terrible reader the last few years, mostly because I read for a ‘living’. I haven’t read fiction properly in the longest time, I just cannot get in the headspace for it.
Like the look of the metal book. Thanks for the heads up.

GARYXKNIFEDX

Supporter
Threads
Website
Visit site
Read so much of sam mcpheeters stuff scattered here and there and am a huge fan of Born Against ( and to a lesser degree Mens Recovery Project) but have never read any of his books.

jonah

Threads
last 2 reads:
Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982

My Sister the Serial Killer

Both great 4 star reads, very different, but loved both.

hugh

Supporter
Contributor
Since 2000
Threads
My god the preamble set up character stuff in this is SO BORING. Get to the fucking pandemic already!
A lot of his books are pretty long-winded as far as I remember. Which brings me to this:

My 14 year old has just started reading SK. Been through Carrie and Salem's Lot. What next? I think both The Stand and IT are way too long. I'm thinking either Pet Semetary or Needful Things. What say ye? I read them all a long time ago but that was ... a long time ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads