What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

Normal People - Sally Rooney: Didn't get the praise for this one at all - cipher-like characters, a story that never really ends up anywhere satisfactory, un-believable turns of events (more plot points than any actual narrative development) and too much telling, not showing.

I have to say, I was also underwhelmed by this one. Thought it was a perfectly grand book, just completely baffled by the hype surrounding it.

Normal People was good, it wasn't this guardian article good

Normal People: how Sally Rooney’s novel became the literary phenomenon of the decade

but it was decent. Would recommend, didn't change my life. I probably agree the only real characters were the two main ones but that's her shtick isn't it? Purely internal writing.

As for telling, not showing, whatever, that's just received wisdom about writing crap, i've never had someone show me a story.*

*plz mark this post with burn thank u

I picked up The Left hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin - was there some discussion of her work on here recently? I'm finding it slow going and hard to get into, but am sticking with it in the hope that it picks up.
Also got Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Preludes and Nocturns Vol 1 graphic novel.

What’s the funniest book you’ve read recently? Been reading lots of grim and violent books of late and need something light and life affirming next! Darkly funny book suggestions also welcome. Just sick of reading about greed, murder and corruption!

Blindboy's book ain't bad. It's better at funny than it is at clever. It certainly made me laugh quite a few times.

But looking through what I've read in recent years my humorous reading is mostly Terry Pratchett and in 2019 we all fairly have our mind made up on where we stand with him.

What’s the funniest book you’ve read recently? Been reading lots of grim and violent books of late and need something light and life affirming next! Darkly funny book suggestions also welcome. Just sick of reading about greed, murder and corruption!
Good Omens - Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman; a good fun read

A Long Way From Home by Peter Carey. I really liked it, classic Carey really, I suppose, in a kind of a low-key way - mostly likable characters, a few assholes for good measure, a plot that's cool and engaging on it's own terms (husband and wife in a car race around Australia in the 50s or 60s) while also getting into some fairly serious stuff (Aborigines). I think it'd have been even better if I'd read it a bit faster, it's very easy to read.

A Long Way From Home by Peter Carey. I really liked it, classic Carey really, I suppose, in a kind of a low-key way - mostly likable characters, a few assholes for good measure, a plot that's cool and engaging on it's own terms (husband and wife in a car race around Australia in the 50s or 60s) while also getting into some fairly serious stuff (Aborigines). I think it'd have been even better if I'd read it a bit faster, it's very easy to read.
I really didn't find it that easy to read. It wasn't purposely going out of its way to challenge you but I couldn't breeze over pages or anything. I mostly found it grim going.

After reading American Gods I wasn't in a hurry to get back to Gaiman
Hey Dez, I just got American Gods, to read after my current book. I read Sandman a few years ago and it wasn't really my thing, but I was recently really impressed by the Graveyard Book. As it's quite substantial, what's AG like? I don't really fancy getting tied up in something that proves to be a chore.

Hey Dez, I just got American Gods, to read after my current book. I read Sandman a few years ago and it wasn't really my thing, but I was recently really impressed by the Graveyard Book. As it's quite substantial, what's AG like? I don't really fancy getting tied up in something that proves to be a chore.
Howdy Mike; I should actually adjust that quote; I must have been a bit cranky posting that!. I enjoyed AG, it's sprawling and kind of veers off here and there, and I think I got a bit fed up at times but it's worth reading tbh. I liked the whole premise of it.
I've read more Gaiman since then - Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett) is great, as is The Ocean at the end of the lane. I haven't read the Graveyard Book yet, but have heard good things.

Yes but The Corn Maiden is definitely the best of the two.

The photographer did a series of photos based on Hopper's paintings so you're bang on the money. One of the stories is based on the same painting, hence it being used.
I'm reading The Corn Maiden based on your recommendation. It's terrific. The title story and the story about the twin brothers gave me the heebie jeebies. Just started the last story today.

Howdy Mike; I should actually adjust that quote; I must have been a bit cranky posting that!. I enjoyed AG, it's sprawling and kind of veers off here and there, and I think I got a bit fed up at times but it's worth reading tbh. I liked the whole premise of it.
I've read more Gaiman since then - Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett) is great, as is The Ocean at the end of the lane. I haven't read the Graveyard Book yet, but have heard good things.
deadly, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back