What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

jonah

Threads
Normal People - Sally Rooney: Didn't get the praise for this one at all - cipher-like characters, a story that never really ends up anywhere satisfactory, un-believable turns of events (more plot points than any actual narrative development) and too much telling, not showing.
I have to say, I was also underwhelmed by this one. Thought it was a perfectly grand book, just completely baffled by the hype surrounding it.

Lili Marlene

Wanna Get Out
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Normal People was good, it wasn't this guardian article good

Normal People: how Sally Rooney’s novel became the literary phenomenon of the decade

but it was decent. Would recommend, didn't change my life. I probably agree the only real characters were the two main ones but that's her shtick isn't it? Purely internal writing.

As for telling, not showing, whatever, that's just received wisdom about writing crap, i've never had someone show me a story.*

*plz mark this post with burn thank u

nooleen

bad ape
Threads
i remember thinking the observations about social interactions in it were very sharp, otherwise pretty much agree with travispickle

travispickle

Supporter
Threads
I picked up The Left hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin - was there some discussion of her work on here recently? I'm finding it slow going and hard to get into, but am sticking with it in the hope that it picks up.
Also got Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Preludes and Nocturns Vol 1 graphic novel.

Bernie Lomax

Threads
What’s the funniest book you’ve read recently? Been reading lots of grim and violent books of late and need something light and life affirming next! Darkly funny book suggestions also welcome. Just sick of reading about greed, murder and corruption!

Lili Marlene

Wanna Get Out
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
But looking through what I've read in recent years my humorous reading is mostly Terry Pratchett and in 2019 we all fairly have our mind made up on where we stand with him.

travispickle

Supporter
Threads
What’s the funniest book you’ve read recently? Been reading lots of grim and violent books of late and need something light and life affirming next! Darkly funny book suggestions also welcome. Just sick of reading about greed, murder and corruption!
Good Omens - Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman; a good fun read

hiadudiad?

Threads
A Long Way From Home by Peter Carey. I really liked it, classic Carey really, I suppose, in a kind of a low-key way - mostly likable characters, a few assholes for good measure, a plot that's cool and engaging on it's own terms (husband and wife in a car race around Australia in the 50s or 60s) while also getting into some fairly serious stuff (Aborigines). I think it'd have been even better if I'd read it a bit faster, it's very easy to read.

Lili Marlene

Wanna Get Out
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
A Long Way From Home by Peter Carey. I really liked it, classic Carey really, I suppose, in a kind of a low-key way - mostly likable characters, a few assholes for good measure, a plot that's cool and engaging on it's own terms (husband and wife in a car race around Australia in the 50s or 60s) while also getting into some fairly serious stuff (Aborigines). I think it'd have been even better if I'd read it a bit faster, it's very easy to read.
I really didn't find it that easy to read. It wasn't purposely going out of its way to challenge you but I couldn't breeze over pages or anything. I mostly found it grim going.

snakybus

Supporter
Threads
Website
www.groomtheband.com
After reading American Gods I wasn't in a hurry to get back to Gaiman
Hey Dez, I just got American Gods, to read after my current book. I read Sandman a few years ago and it wasn't really my thing, but I was recently really impressed by the Graveyard Book. As it's quite substantial, what's AG like? I don't really fancy getting tied up in something that proves to be a chore.

travispickle

Supporter
Threads
Hey Dez, I just got American Gods, to read after my current book. I read Sandman a few years ago and it wasn't really my thing, but I was recently really impressed by the Graveyard Book. As it's quite substantial, what's AG like? I don't really fancy getting tied up in something that proves to be a chore.
Howdy Mike; I should actually adjust that quote; I must have been a bit cranky posting that!. I enjoyed AG, it's sprawling and kind of veers off here and there, and I think I got a bit fed up at times but it's worth reading tbh. I liked the whole premise of it.
I've read more Gaiman since then - Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett) is great, as is The Ocean at the end of the lane. I haven't read the Graveyard Book yet, but have heard good things.

Bernie Lomax

Threads
Yes but The Corn Maiden is definitely the best of the two.

The photographer did a series of photos based on Hopper's paintings so you're bang on the money. One of the stories is based on the same painting, hence it being used.
I'm reading The Corn Maiden based on your recommendation. It's terrific. The title story and the story about the twin brothers gave me the heebie jeebies. Just started the last story today.

snakybus

Supporter
Threads
Website
www.groomtheband.com
Howdy Mike; I should actually adjust that quote; I must have been a bit cranky posting that!. I enjoyed AG, it's sprawling and kind of veers off here and there, and I think I got a bit fed up at times but it's worth reading tbh. I liked the whole premise of it.
I've read more Gaiman since then - Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett) is great, as is The Ocean at the end of the lane. I haven't read the Graveyard Book yet, but have heard good things.
deadly, thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads