Were you at any of these gigs? (1 Viewer)

when Green Day were popular people would say that about their gig in the atic

when Green Day were popular people would say that about their gig in the atic

niall mcgurk is the man with the attendance sheet for that one

I was at that one too.

I was there and I'd say the attendance was about 30 people support band included.

I was there meself too. If only we'd known...

how did you manage it? I couldn't get in.

I was a student in UCD at the time. I heard that the Ents pricks in both colleges had a mutual arrangement where they let each other into each others gigs for free. I pretended I was an Ents prick from UCD, and the TCD ents prick let me in.

I was a student in UCD at the time. I heard that the Ents pricks in both colleges had a mutual arrangement where they let each other into each others gigs for free. I pretended I was an Ents prick from UCD, and the TCD ents prick let me in.

When I was in college I would phone up promoters looking for review comps for the Trinity News - and they always gave them to me - little did they realise that said publication did not do live reviews...

Almost got a Mark E. Smith interview out of that scam - but he ended up too drunk...

I saw XTC at McGonagles on Oct 3, 1978. Visiting from Toronto Canada and was looking for something to do on my first night in Ireland. I remember the band being pretty energetic. The main thing I remember was that Steve Katz, the guitar player from Blood, Sweat & Tears was in the audience. I think he was in Dublin to produce an album for some local band.

Given this is now more than twenty years ago, and some chaps on here are roughly the same age as me, and pivotal moments in secondary school music discovery, who here was at this:

At the Drive-In, Temple Bar Music Centre on December 10th, 2000

?

Given this is now more than twenty years ago, and some chaps on here are roughly the same age as me, and pivotal moments in secondary school music discovery, who here was at this:

?
I have a pile of photos of that. All blurry terribleness, but still. What a gig! I have refused to see them post-reformation on the basis that they would never top that.

Also, loads of people got turned away for being underage at that, I was only 17 but managed to get in without being ID'd.

I've never even heard of the Top Hat.

The 3 gigs I was at in the top hat:

Metallica & Danzig October 4th 1988
Sepultura & ? November 1990
Kreator & Death 1990

I only recently found out that Death performed without Chuck Schuldiner.

Last edited:
I was at it. It was life changing.

?

Kreator & Death 1990

I had a Kreator T-shirt for a few years in my early teens. No idea where it came from or where it went afterwards. I’ve never listened to Kreator or even known anyone who does. I’ve never solved the mystery of that T-shirt.

?

I was at it, I thought they were awful. The band I was in at the time was asked to play it too,but we turned it down .

Kreator & Death 1990

I’m fairly sure I was at that kreator/death top hat gig but have no recollection of it. Metallica twice, wasp, ozzy, slayer & nuclear assault, faith no more & prong, anthrax, onslaught & crumbsuckers, suicidal tendencies & M.O.D. I think I was at sepultura as well. Seems unlikely that I wouldn’t have been.

Last edited:
I have a pile of photos of that. All blurry terribleness, but still. What a gig! I have refused to see them post-reformation on the basis that they would never top that.

Also, loads of people got turned away for being underage at that, I was only 17 but managed to get in without being ID'd.
That is because you are the pure head of Jim O'Rourke if I remember correctly from some Thumped event.

I got in. My strategy to pull a beanie hat firmly onto my head worked. Still got IDed with impressively shit fake id. Four months shy of 18.Two lads I was queuing with didn't get in. They had to go to someone's sister's apartment, and watch American Psycho instead - talk about sickened haha! "Yeah, I was watching an overhyped movie from a no-mark director whilst At the Drive-In were tearing the arsehole out of TBMC." Desperate.

Had a rake of pints too. Great fuckin' night.

There were earlier shows around then...Idlewild/Wilt..no issue with id for that one. Remember spotting Bob from Idlewild in a phone booth on Dame St... gnarly character.
I was at it. It was life changing.
Agreed. Certainly their emergence was a gateway, and also noticed a shift in the music mags covering more angular, noisy stuff too...
I was at it, I thought they were awful. The band I was in at the time was asked to play it too,but we turned it down .
Murder City Devils supported and some band from the North... Clearspot...or shot? I think Clearshot? also played Witnness around then. Murder City Devils did nothing for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back