Were you at any of these gigs? (1 Viewer)

How about this:

Strokes, TBMC on June 16th, 2001

?

Moldy Peaches supported who I found really grating.

Remember the place was 2/3s full at best, and not being really that into them at all.

Exploded that summer with heavy airplay from Lamacq, Peel et al.

Just never got them at all...only went because some guy from school badgered me to go and hyped them to the hilt.

I have a photo with myself and an extremely drugged up Julian Casablancas somewhere.

Last edited:
That is because you are the pure head of Jim O'Rourke if I remember correctly from some Thumped event.
:cautious:

There were earlier shows around then...Idlewild/Wilt..no issue with id for that one. Remember spotting Bob from Idlewild in a phone booth on Dame St... gnarly character.
I have a photo of me with him at one of the music centre gigs lol. Ah there were some great gigs in the Music Centre, considering it was a horror of a venue.
How about this:

?

Remember the place was 2/3s full at best, and not being really that into them at all.

Just never got them at all...only went because some guy from school badgered me to go and hyped them to the hilt.

I have a photo with myself and an extremely drugged up Julian Casablancas somewhere.
Nah, I was very resistant to them for ages because I wanted rock music to be more like ATDI.

I came around to that debut album when I realised that:

a) I was either going to have to get into something a bit more mainstream in university or live a life with no friends.
b) Girls actually liked them. Sorry metal and punk, these things matter.

Fucking great album!

That is because you are the pure head of Jim O'Rourke if I remember correctly from some Thumped event.

I got in. My strategy to pull a beanie hat firmly onto my head worked. Still got IDed with impressively shit fake id. Four months shy of 18.Two lads I was queuing with didn't get in. They had to go to someone's sister's apartment, and watch American Psycho instead - talk about sickened haha! "Yeah, I was watching an overhyped movie from a no-mark director whilst At the Drive-In were tearing the arsehole out of TBMC." Desperate.

Had a rake of pints too. Great fuckin' night.

There were earlier shows around then...Idlewild/Wilt..no issue with id for that one. Remember spotting Bob from Idlewild in a phone booth on Dame St... gnarly character.

Agreed. Certainly their emergence was a gateway, and also noticed a shift in the music mags covering more angular, noisy stuff too...

Murder City Devils supported and some band from the North... Clearspot...or shot? I think Clearshot? also played Witnness around then. Murder City Devils did nothing for me.
I have a memory of Murder City Devils being very drunk. Did the singer puke on the stage?

I have a memory of Murder City Devils being very drunk. Did the singer puke on the stage?
Yes. I think they were kindred spirits or maybe even shared members with Dwarves, so vomiting and onstage boozing were very much in their DNA.

I don't think you can play that type of gutter hardcore punk without being drunk tbh.

I somehow fell asleep at Underworld in the mean fiddler. I thought they were shit but a friend wanted to go.
It was around the time of that larger, larger, larger bullshit.

I thought Murder City Devils were great I think it was one of the last,if not last gigs of the tour. So may have helped how drunk they were.

The great miss for me was that cancelled Sweep the Leg Johnny gig in Whelan's...talk about the gigs that could have been.

Here's one I tried to Google, and did it happen, and how did I miss it?

Q and Not U in The Hub, put on by Skinny Wolves.. possibly 2004 or 2005? Did this show actually happen?

Si Schroeder played one of those festival booker's gigs in the Netherlands one time. Lykke Li was on the bill with us. We had lost a keyboard at the airport and needed to borrow one. We asked her crew. They told us to fuck off. I knew then she was going to be huge :)
*We did end up getting a loan of keys from a lovely Estonian band called Röövel Ööbik who were huge Fall fans and who I promised to email but never did :(

Sweep the Leg Johhny played Giros cafe in Belfast. That was a great gig. I wasn't at the Dublin one.
What year?
I don't think the show happened...unless they played Ireland at an earlier date. Was cancelled due to injury or illness, the Whelan's one. Think it was supposed to be put on by Jimmy Cake blokes.

Must have been 2000 as they were touring on the Sto Cazzo! record. Pretty sure I organised it but all I remember is they were really good,and not many people showed up. In fact,not even the opening band did,so my band opened at no notice.

Given this is now more than twenty years ago, and some chaps on here are roughly the same age as me, and pivotal moments in secondary school music discovery, who here was at this:

At the Drive-In, Temple Bar Music Centre on December 10th, 2000

?
Great gig, was there just as much for Murder city devils, as At the drive in. Both bands were phenomenon.

Given this is now more than twenty years ago, and some chaps on here are roughly the same age as me, and pivotal moments in secondary school music discovery, who here was at this:

At the Drive-In, Temple Bar Music Centre on December 10th, 2000

?
Friends of mine snuck in the side door, I stayed outside and talked to girls in the cold. They were an awfully overrated band in fairness.

Si Schroeder played one of those festival booker's gigs in the Netherlands one time. Lykke Li was on the bill with us. We had lost a keyboard at the airport and needed to borrow one. We asked her crew. They told us to fuck off. I knew then she was going to be huge :)
*We did end up getting a loan of keys from a lovely Estonian band called Röövel Ööbik who were huge Fall fans and who I promised to email but never did :(
I saw Lykke Li in the Sugar Club way back (I think the first single had just come out) and my memories are that there were barely 50 people at it.

How about this:

?

I remember the Moldy Peaches supporting them in the point depot. Fucking dreadful band.

How about this:

?

I was at that gig. I went because one of my friends wanted to see Moldy Peaches. I actually really enjoyed them but it was also one of the first times I took yokes. I thought the Strokes were a bit rubbish. It was my first time hearing them. I was the same as @Lili Marlene , I was hoping for something like ATDI based on the hype and to me they just sounded really average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back