Weekly comic subscriptions (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Anyone know anything about comics? My (almost) 10 year old (currently) wants to be a comic artist when she grows up, and wants a subscription to a marvel comic for her birthday ... I'm thinking Ms. Marvel or Champions or Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

Any ideas where might do a subscription in Ireland that'd post it to us (we live in the sticks)? And does these things come out weekly or monthly?

Definitely not as cool as an actual comic landing on your doormat, but if you sign up for Amazon's Kindle Unlimited it includes access to a load of comics and magazines. Also worth a look is Amazon Prime - there's a subset of the Kindle library available through that too, also with access to magazines and comics. You don't need a kindle to read them - the Kindle app is available for most phones/tablets.

(full disclosure: yes those are affiliate links and yes they pay if someone signs up for 30 day free trial accounts through them. A man's gotta eat.)

I can't answer your direct question but, tangentially:

One of my brothers is heavily involved with the independent comic stuff in Ireland, there's some seriously top level work out there that I'd never in a million years have come across without that direct contact. Much like music though, tell her if she wants to make money she is not to get involved with the independent scene.

But you know, it might enhance her life in lots of non-monetary ways that'd never happen with any of the corporate work. If you're into that.

Semi-joking aside it'd be worth keeping an eye on for when she gets a bit older, if she wants to meet some people around Ireland who take this stuff seriously

http://www.irishcomicnews.dreamhosters.com/

Dublin Comic Jam

I don't know anything about Marvel comics these days but if she's interested in illustration and the art, I would pay for a hard copy and not a digital copy. Even if she is going to draw digitally in the long run, having physical comics that she will pick up and read more than once or at least flick through for ideas is a lot nicer in my opinion.

As for weekly/monthly, I imagine most of the Marvel titles are monthly.

Also, there are some amazing comics out there for when she is a bit older (Saga is probably the best thing I've read in years but she would need to be at least 5 years older as the humour/plot is fairly grown up) but I'm no good for recommendations for a 10 year old unfortunately! 2000AD/Judge Dredd are stereotypical boy comics but let's face it, the idea that comics are for boys any more is dead. I know recent 2000AD has pushed a lot of creative work by women but I'm not a current reader so no idea where to start.

Directly from marvel might be as good as good a place as any. I would check what the costs are anyway they say they use a private courier for international which might be better than the USP since they raised their forgein rates allot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back