Wanted: Blank Reel to Reel Cassettes (1 Viewer)

_Katie_

Hello Thumped Heads.

I'm looking to purchase/trade/be gifted blank reel to reel tapes by a kind benefactor.

I have a Ferguson reel to reel (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
)

Many thanks.

Is that 1/4 inch? He's got 1/2 himself but says he might have some old, old 1/4 inch from way back that could be taped over if that's any good to you?

Is that 1/4 inch? He's got 1/2 himself but says he might have some old, old 1/4 inch from way back that could be taped over if that's any good to you?
Ah great - thanks for asking! I have a good few tapes with pre-recorded stuff on them I could record over but the stuff on them is so interesting I wanted to avoid that! I got them with the machine, random folk covers and stuff from the radio, etc. I might find a more boring one and record over that. I better not take any more tapes unless they're blank or my housemates might kill me (they're clunky!)

I can't find any kind of manual online, either - which is a pain! I can only find the service manual which is a pain. Ah, the rabbit hole of defunct gear.

Lots of people swear by tape, obviously Albini. But it can be a rare enough commodity. I read that when the Waterboys recorded Fisherman's Blues they used up all the tape available in the country at the time. I'd say your best bet would be if you know anyone works in or is studying sound engineering or the like in one of the colleges.

Lots of people swear by tape, obviously Albini. But it can be a rare enough commodity. I read that when the Waterboys recorded Fisherman's Blues they used up all the tape available in the country at the time. I'd say your best bet would be if you know anyone works in or is studying sound engineering or the like in one of the colleges.

Its a nerd's feat alright! That's a great story. I really want to give this a try: How to Make Your Own Analog Tape Delay Using an Old Reel-to-Reel

I'll have to have a think, do I know anyone doing that... The only other Irish band I know using reel to reel is Woven Skull, time to send them a message!

There's a thing on the making of the final magnolia electric company record, recorded live, with Steve Albini in Electrical Audio where SA was remarking how efficient the band were and how little tape they had used.

There's a thing on the making of the final magnolia electric company record, recorded live, with Steve Albini in Electrical Audio where SA was remarking how efficient the band were and how little tape they had used.

Oooooh yeah, that's the stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back