Wanted: Bassist & Drummer. North Dublin (Phibsboro) (1 Viewer)

bend_sinister

Bass player and drummer wanted for North Dublin band (Phibsoro/Ashtown area).

Two EPs previously released and a debut album due for release shortly - looking to play launch gig(s) but find ourselves short-handed.

The type of stuff we play: weirdo shambling folk-y downbeat pop with occasional outbreaks of noise-rock. We like stuff like The Fall, Bonnie Prince Billy, Smog, Sparklehorse, Mogwai, Neil Young, Tom Waits...also big fans of post-punk, soul, hip-hop and electronica...we could go on at some length about the stuff we like but you probably get the jist.

Looking for someone to pluck a bass and someone else to bash the drums. If either bassist and/or drummer could also strum the occasional guitar or muck around on keyboards from time to time, that would also be handy. We're not looking for virtuosos but it would obviously be helpful if you can at least play a bit.

Being brutally honest, we need to point this out upfront: this band is an omni-shambles. We're perennially under-rehearsed and can't really play. We don't have good equipment, apart from some nice guitar pedals. We don't have our own rehearsal space and can't guarantee any payment (Payment?? For playing music? Are you having a laugh??).

Being brutally honest again, bitter experience teaches us that what we don't want in a bandmate is as important as what we do want. Therefore: No gear fetishists need apply. No metal fans need apply. No-one who values technical ability above anything else need apply. No Muse fans need apply. No Red Hot Chili Peppers fans need apply. No U2 fans need apply. No one who favours the phrase "funk-rock" need apply. No one with a mod haircut need apply. No one who wants to jam on Hendrix, Led Zep, Stone Roses or Beatles covers need apply. Current band-members are late-20s/early-30s so if you're a teenager you probably won't want to apply.

If you like rough-hewn, slightly strange pop melodies, can play a bit and don't mind a bit of vaguely shambolic musical fumbling, you probably should apply.

We realise that all of the above makes us appear as if we're simultaneously both a) incredibly elitist, and b) complete amateurs. Both of these impressions are entirely correct. We're nice enough people though, honest.

If you've managed to make it through all that (well done, by the way) and are still interested (and let's face it, who wouldn't be?), send me a pm and I will reply with a link to some of our old and new music.

Thanks

Best "Wanted" ad in ages. I hope the band is actually called omni-shambles ......

Brilliant ad.

"Time wasters welcome" should have been added on at the end.

I'd join this band in a heartbeat if I wasn't in London. You should see the ads over here.

I've seen "Must have the right aesthetic" more than once I shit you not.

Edit : Best of luck lads.

Further Edit : If you've already released 2 e.ps why don't you lash up some links bend_sinister; ?

Thanks for the kind words guys.

hugh: If only I had thought before of calling the band Omni-shambles...a missed opportunity for sure.

washingcattle - "Must have the right aesthetic"...*shudder*

I'll pm the links to you if that's ok washingcattle - don't really want to advertise the fact that the band is a total shambles any more than I already have done by publicly naming and shaming ourselves. I mean, being a shambles is fun and all, but I'm hoping that some day - some golden, shining day in the future - we won't be a total shambles...

Hello,

Just bumping this ad because we now require a new bassist once again.

Since originally posting the ad here and elsewhere in May 2013, we did indeed acquire a bassist and drummer and have sucessfully become *slightly* less of a shambles. Check out our stunning achievements:
  • Released an album and some more EPs.
  • Played an album launch gig in Sweeney's on Dame Street.
  • Album got some decent reviews as well as a review in the Irish Times (albeit a bit of a sniffy, two-star review - bastards), and we even sold some copies.
  • Played a bit around Dublin, eg. a few gigs in the Grand Social.
  • Played the Vantastival music festival earlier this year.
  • Have a new EP/mini-album recorded and ready to release.
However, sadly our super-funky bassist is now moving to the USA (boo hoo!) so we need someone to step into his shoes. All of the stipulations in the original ad still apply. Please bear in mind the bit about us being a shambles. If you get irrirated by such things as lateness, frequent technical malfunctions and guitars remaining consistently out of tune, you probably don't want to know us.

Please note, through sheer luck we actually ended up with a really good drummer and bassist so we are looking for a bassist who can actually play at least a wee bit, as we've now grown accustomed to having a competent rhythm section. Our rehearsals tend to turn into a series of long meandering jams that never go anywhere, so if you can improvise a little bit and pick up stuff "on the hoof" that would be good.

Incidentally, we'd also be interested in recruiting another guitarist/multi-instrumentalist, ideally someone who can play slide/lap steel guitar, perhaps a bit of keyboards...banjo, even?... But this isn't as urgent as the bassist.

Anyone who is interested, send me a PM and I will reply with links to the music we have made.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.

I was so on this until the 'funk-rock' thing. I love the phrase funk-rock.

Of course I meant "irritated" and not "irrirated", which sounds like some kind of radiation poisoning or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back