walton's georges st closing/moving to blanch (1 Viewer)

That's a shame. I don't think it was the best music shop around but good to have it there nonetheless. Will the music school be gone too then?

The branch in Blanch is actually pretty good by the way.

Yeah think a lot more people go in there for the school rather than the shop these days

Pretty shitty though, Geoge's st will be just coffee shops and hairdressers soon

Had a few shit experiences with them in George’s st in my early 20s. Haven’t stepped foot back inside since.
Been out to he one in Blanch and they were pretty Sound and happy to get me out of a pickle

with one or two notable exceptions they've were a bit poor on the customer service. I've bought osme big items off the old fred st store, but only oddments (strings etc) from georges st.

i will always have happy memories of calling in there on pissy wet Saturday day trips from portlaoise as a teenager to play 'across the universe' on the gibson 12-string they had in the acoustic room.

Could see this coming. Soon anything that can be bought online will cease to be sold in shops. Leaving city centres with nothing but food/drink outlets and apartment buildings. I saw this recently in Toronto and London. Pity.
Anyway, waltons. I met Niko McBrain in the Fredrick St Waltons. I've been in the Blanch one more times than the george's street one in the last few years. It is a decent shop.

What is the sale like?

I was on the receiving end of pretty bone-headed rudeness in there a couple of times, the first time I thought I had misheard, so next time I needed something I went back, and got the same. I was scouting around for my current drumkit for about a year, and against my better judgement went in there for a browse once. I was looking at a nice Premier kit and the guy came over to me, and - unbidden - said "I don't think you can afford this one". Genuinely. Fuck them, fuck their shop and good riddance. This was one of those shops that needed for some reason to have drums in the window but never put any thought into how they worked or how to sell them.
I went straight across to Music Maker and bought my dearly beloved Tama Starclassic with the fistful of wedge I had in my pocket. Still boils my piss when I think of it...I COULDN'T afford it, but I had the money, and had made a decision to spend it. The last thing I needed was some no-mark fuckwit ruining my day like that. Off out to the sticks with yiz.

Wasn't a shop conducive to buying gear. But it was at least a place for young 'uns to go look at guitars on a saturday afternoon.

Don't suppose they are planning on selling off tab books on the cheap?

Soon anything that can be bought online will cease to be sold in shops. Leaving city centres with nothing but food/drink outlets and apartment buildings.
I tried to replace a few lost CDs from Tower at the weekend. Out of 4, I couldn't find one. Had to go the amazon route.

Brendan Benson - Lapalco. 72p
Weezer - The Blue Album £1.32
SP - Siamese Dream. £1.79
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. £5.32

I was on the receiving end of pretty bone-headed rudeness in there a couple of times, the first time I thought I had misheard, so next time I needed something I went back, and got the same. I was scouting around for my current drumkit for about a year, and against my better judgement went in there for a browse once. I was looking at a nice Premier kit and the guy came over to me, and - unbidden - said "I don't think you can afford this one". Genuinely. Fuck them, fuck their shop and good riddance. This was one of those shops that needed for some reason to have drums in the window but never put any thought into how they worked or how to sell them.
I went straight across to Music Maker and bought my dearly beloved Tama Starclassic with the fistful of wedge I had in my pocket. Still boils my piss when I think of it...I COULDN'T afford it, but I had the money, and had made a decision to spend it. The last thing I needed was some no-mark fuckwit ruining my day like that. Off out to the sticks with yiz.

Have to say I'd be in the same boat as yourself. Found the customer service in there fairly shite and the staff really rude at times.

Having said that, they seem to be dead sound in the Blanch one. And it's a 10 minute walk from where I work now. Score!

Kinda imagine there's a certain institutionalization with music stores. going from a person who likes music to person who has to see 80 people come through the door a day and repeat the same process. You could forget entirely what you are selling and what i means to a person who doesn't have your job and pulled all kind of hours just to have this day where they get the tools the want to express themselves in a way which suits them. You could just see everyone as another fucking pleb interrupting the nice showroom you spent the morning building.

Jesus I'm bitter, but i'm certainly moving to a point in life where if you aren't playing music at ground level you can get the fuck out of the rest of the industry, compliments of me telling you to fuck off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back