Voices that put your teeth on edge. (1 Viewer)

She's funny sometimes but I have to post this to prove she has the MOST ANNOYING VOICE EVER. Someone once told me I sounded like her...perhaps that's why I'm quiet now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought someone might say Joanna Newsome.
I like her though. Cos she's pretty.
No, cos she's amazing enough to get away with the voice.

I think her voice is marvellous. Its completely untrained on the first album and can get a bit squeaky but on the EP and the second album its fantastic.

The only bands who really get me are those Wolf Parade blokes. Ugh.

too obvious?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not a cover and it's terrible.

It's called The Great Defector. I heard it on the radio once and I was fairly shocked alright. It gets a great write up on wikipedia though, strangely enough.

[edit] Song information

Vocalist Paul Noonan has compared the song's style to that of Talking Heads.[4] The song was recorded in November 2008 in Ballycumber House, "a big, draughty, stately home... ...under the beady gaze of musty portraits of the Lords and Ladies of the estate from the 15th century".[5] Jim Farber of the New York Daily News has praised Noonan's "flair for dialogue and his keen way with a metaphor", claiming "his cruel writing will make you swoon".[6] "The Great Defector" was given its debut live performance on 11 July 2008 during Oxegen 2008 .[7] Following its Irish release, the band performed it on Tubridy Tonight on 21 February 2009.[8][9]

[edit] Reaction

The song has been widely praised in the Irish media; amongst its fans are Today FM presenter Tony Fenton[2] and RTÉ's radio presenter and television chat show host Ryan Tubridy, who has described it as his "favourite hit of the year".[9]

Someone gettin' derep.

Hahaa. I'll never take it back. I just don't get that whole particular seam of indie bands. I just find them dull... except Dan Bejar. He's funny. The rest of those associated lot haven't made any impression on me yet.

Alslo - bonus points to whoever said Colin Meloy. I've never liked him but used to like some of their songs... now I can't bear to listen to them. He sounds like he'd have an annoying personality.

Bell X1 have moved on to imitating the songwriting, school choir backing vocals, lead vocal delivery and instrumentation of Arcade Fire on their new song. I heard it on the radio.

Hahaa. I'll never take it back. I just don't get that whole particular seam of indie bands. I just find them dull... except Dan Bejar. He's funny. The rest of those associated lot haven't made any impression on me yet.

Dan Bejar. I'll add him to my list of horrible voices.

Can't believe no one has slagged off Dave Longstreth yet. I mean, I think its great but everyone else used that as a stick to beat him with before.

The song has been widely praised in the Irish media; amongst its fans are Today FM presenter Tony Fenton[2] and RTÉ's radio presenter and television chat show host Ryan Tubridy, who has described it as his "favourite hit of the year".[9]

There's two prime candidates for voices that grate through me right there. Also add any of those wenches from Expose and Mary Kingston's shrill Cork accent.

Not many singers annoy me that much although Jinx Lennon is the exception to that rule as is the lad from The Thrills.

Really strong Scouse (Jamie Carragher) or Manc (Terry Christian) accents are painful as well.

Both can be a little reedy and grating at times, to me, but it doesn't stop them being MY FAVOURITE BAND!!!!!!!!

I think Dan Boeckner has a great rock voice, just the right amount of tearing his throat up.

That guy from Deathcab For Cutie when he's not doing stuff with Jimmy Tamborello

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back