Vocal coaching - any use? (1 Viewer)

The only thing I worry about is cracking, whatever else it sounds like I just take as a given. I don't sing very often so that doesn't help, but I find humming is a good warm up and nothing is going to help more than practicing, obviously.

I think this is a good video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did a bunch of vocals this evening and my voice was cracking a good bit. We left them in as they added a bit of character.
Ever hear very early Neil Young or Liam Gallagher? If they didn't get some kind of advice/training I'll eat my hat.

(disclaimer: not a Liam Gallagher fan)

If this is the case -- and I'd be surprised if it is -- I imagine they got their money back.

I learned a lot from watching singing lesson on youtube(where else!)

I think you can't go wrong getting more learning regardless of the topic

So I say ..Go For It!

I did a bunch of vocals this evening and my voice was cracking a good bit. We left them in as they added a bit of character.

If this is the case -- and I'd be surprised if it is -- I imagine they got their money back.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but I think Liam Gallagher is a great singer.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but I think Liam Gallagher is a great singer.
@snakybus
This is what he started out sounding like. I'm not a big fan but his voice learned to carry a tune and was had the power for what I think are a number of undeniably great tunes from the first album. (I actually like a song or two from later albums, tbh)

Stephen Stills used to apologise for Neil's voice when Buffalo Springfield played shows. Even on his first solo record it's quite weak. Whether you like his voice or not now, you surely have to agree that he can sing well.

Incidentally, I'm reading a Thin Lizzy biography and it mentions that in the early days Philo's voice was out of key too often or whatever so he went to England and got his tonsils out while visiting his ma.

Does this method work?????

decent over a limited range i think, there's a strong possibility it sounds shite to everyone else though

it's still much the same but i struggle more to hit the right note

i only sing around the house and in the car etc.

So, 5 years later - I've been going to singing lessons, and I HIGHLY recommend it. I bought some books and stuff, and practised stuff from them, and it made fuck all difference. A good singing teacher has made a big difference. Just wait til ye all hear the next Stoat record and PREPARE TO BE AMAZED

Lessons via zoom with this woman Mornington Vocal Academy EUR20 for a half hour lesson, which is around the same as I pay for the kids' piano lessons. Bulk discount if you pay for a few up front

when you mentioned singing lessons in passing on another thread
I was actually thinking about how some training might stop a grindcore
vocalist losing their voice.

they must be tough 'cause none of them ever mention that happening.

when NAPALM DEATH did their first Peel Session in 1987, Danielle Dax was also there
recording a BBC session and she gave Lee Dorrian a lecture about how he was going
to damage his vocal cords.

most grind bands I like are so obscure they rarely play gigs anyway.

i'm amazed that most singers (any genre) don't lose their voices more.
some folks come back from concerts they attended hoarse.

my wife did some vocal coaching with a woman called lynn hilary a couple of years ago and found her excellent.
my wife had been in a chamber choir many years ago but was out of practice so just wanted some catchup to get back to speed.

The Zen of Screaming is worth a look for warm ups/singing without blowing your voice out

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back