Vinyl Download Codes RIP (1 Viewer)

chris d

Supporter
This has been the case for a while now, but here's me crying about it anyway.

Obviously it's too big a pain in the hoop for artists/labels. But here's me, no spotify, and buying records from shops. Left out.

Anyone else have this problem? I have mostly been getting around it by having to get a dodgy torrent of the album, but that's not always easy and I don't like doing it.

I still buy CDs too. But my new laptop doesn't have a CD player, so I have to RIP them on my old broken laptop that has a smashed screen. My life is shit.

Yeah, it's annoying. In general I find it handier to just download a torrent than to key in a download code but if the album is on bandcamp it annoys me that I have the LP but it's not in my bandcamp collection (which has hardly anything in it anyway)

download codes are handy alright. you still get them here and there. for the most part i rip my lp's to mp3 (audacity + easytag). it helps that i work from home these days

A lot of official download codes still seem to be mp3 only - is that your experience? These days I like FLACs which you will generally get on the torrents, somebody will have already ripped it and shared.

Last one I can remember getting a code in was Stephen Malkmus Sparkle Hard, 2018. But I am fairly poor so don't buy that much vinyl. A couple of records a year.

Going to check Soulseek tonight for the newish Róisín Murphy so.

Last one I can remember getting a code in was Stephen Malkmus Sparkle Hard, 2018. But I am fairly poor so don't buy that much vinyl. A couple of records a year.

Going to check Soulseek tonight for the newish Róisín Murphy so.
rough trade still do them - last new record I got with them had them for sure.

my 3 year old son 'bought' me elis/cave's carnage for fathers day - I must check if it has them.

one of the many multitudes of things I stopped doing over the past few years is doing the downloads

I've only bought 4 records this year. I think they all had download coupons with them.
I always use them. Save the onto some external hardrives. Burn them on to a CDR.

PJ Harvey - Is this desire? - Yep
The emerald Isle - The emerald Isle. Via bandcamp. download from BC & a DL card.
Menehan street band - The exciting sound of ... - Yep, I think so
Magick brother & mystic sister - Magick brother & mystic sister - Not sure if there was a DL with this .

Last edited:
As far as I know labels have to pay double royalties if they include a download code so it might be something that’s being dropped by some labels to cut costs. It’s a tough world for independents these days so I understand it unfortunately.

I have a problem...

I got my computer wiped and reloaded recently.

I can't log onto bandcamp via google chrome on my mac.

I can log on via safari but when I go to download anything in my library it says "preparing" with that little shower of icon...

I emailed them but I may as well have emailed a black hole.

Anyone encounter anything similar with this bucks?

That Roisin Murphy album is great btw.

As is her criminally slept upon Hairless Toys album.

She had a bit of breakdown on twitter a few years back when she released this amazing song and video and it was absolutely ignored by everyone

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have a problem...

I got my computer wiped and reloaded recently.

I can't log onto bandcamp via google chrome on my mac.

I can log on via safari but when I go to download anything in my library it says "preparing" with that little shower of icon...

I emailed them but I may as well have emailed a black hole.

Anyone encounter anything similar with this bucks?
Ain;t come across that but sounds like it might be something to do with ad-blocking/pop-up blocking? Also if you are downloading hi-res it can take 30 seconds or so for the file to prepare... Anyways- switch to Firefox..

When stuff like that happens I always check the browser console in chrome dev tools - CTRL-SHIFT-I on a PC dunno about Mac. Often there’s an error message in there that can point you in the right direction.

Few years ago (2014?) I got a cd with a download code included in it. I suppose inbuilt cd drives haven't been that common since about 2010.

Few years ago (2014?) I got a cd with a download code included in it. I suppose inbuilt cd drives haven't been that common since about 2010.
I bought a new laptop earlier in the year, never checked if it had a cd drive. It doesn't. So now with any new CDs, i need to rip them using the old smashed laptop that only has half a working screen. Is this progress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back