Vin Chateau d'Aldi (1 Viewer)

Catwoman

I'm very poor all of a sudden and need to stop spending quite so much money on alcohol. I could always drink less, but that's never going to happen.

I've tried the beer in Aldi which is quite nice but I'm wary of their wines and spirits.

Anyone sampled the delights of the Aldi (or Lidl) booze section?

They're acceptable. Some of the Aldi wines are actually pretty good. I've paid more for much worse wines - if that's any help.

Well, recommendations are difficult as that depends very much on what you like. I guess the best starting point would be to pick a region/grape that you would usually go for. Choosing their mid-price ones is also a good bet.

Will be interested to hear how you get on.

tesco chilean cab sauv for 5 euro is cheaper than most lidl/aldi wine and quite ok also.

Steer clear of all cheap versions of classic wines such as Bordeaux, Chianti, Chateauneuf du Pape etc. these will always be crap no matter where you buy them.

Ones to go for are cheap wines from the South of France, Chile, Argentina, Southern Italy (esp. reds), Spain and Australia.

there's a great french wine(i forget the exact one but i'll get back to you on it) in tesco for 5.89. I don't know too much about wine.

There's a wine that comes out this time of year called Beaujolais Nouveau which rocks. I'm just finishing off a bottle now. It's a tenner and can be got from the offie on the corner of connacht st phibsboro.

I don't know much about wine either but I likes the Tesco south Oz Shiraz.

Buckfast is good too. I think it's about €8.50 in Dunnes.

Buckfast is good too. I think it's about €8.50 in Dunnes.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tax may Buck trend towards boozy binges[/FONT]
391551_thumb.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday November 20th 2006[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]THE DEPARTMENT of Finance is considering imposing a tax on popular student drink Buckfast.
The fortified wine, which has been linked with anti-social behaviour due to its high alcohol content, could be hit with a 30pc tax increase in next month's Budget in an effort to curb its use among teenage drinkers.
The move comes after a Galway politician said housing estates and the historic Spanish Arch in the city were plagued with under-age drinkers guzzling the medicinal wine.
Critics claim the drink, which has a 14.8pc alcohol content, is like drinking "liquid speed" that sends drinkers "wild".
"Buckie", as it is often called, is synonymous with college students who claim that "Buckfast gets you f..ked fast."
It currently retails at about €8.69 a bottle in most off-licences, is extremely popular in the west of Ireland and is available on tap in Lurgan, Co Armagh.
"The primary difference between Buckfast and other drinks is you can buy it in a corner shop which only has a wine licence," Fianna Fail councillor Michael Crowe said yesterday.
"I believe Buckfast should be considered for some form of a tax. It was once seen as a medicinal drink, but times have changed. The reality is it's bought by and for underage drinkers and it's associated with anti-social behaviour."
The Irish Independent can confirm that officials at the Department of Finance are considering the imposition of a tax on Buckfast, but the Department would not comment yesterday.
This is not the first time that Buckfast - which is made by Benedictine monks at Buckfast Abbey, Devon - has hit the headlines.
Scottish Health Minister Andy Kerr last month condemned the drink as "seriously bad" in relation to social behaviour.
Paul Melia

[/FONT][SIZE=-1]© Irish Independent
[/SIZE]

"The reality is it's bought by and for underage drinkers and it's associated with anti-social behaviour."

I'm 26 and I buy and drink it. They should just ban all alcohol, that should solve the problem of underage drinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back