Versatile (1 Viewer)

I asked the kids about these guys. 16 yr old sort of knew them once I described their schtick, interestingly didn't know they were Irish (!), 13 yr old had never heard of them.

Not THAT surprising since the 16yo listens to Cage The Elephant, Sticky Fingers and has recently discovered Neil Young, the 13yo plays fortnite although did once watch every single episode of Trailer Park Boys.

Which brings us to the great DEATH OF METAPHOR 2018 debate where everything must be literal because god forbid people have to put some effort into understanding something, or even worse, like something and still not fully understand why.

Sorry, that's not a dig at you, more at the rapgenius way of liking music these days, I GOT THE REFERENCE = experiencing art.

This is a very interesting point to me and something which I too have both noticed and am no doubt guilty of at times..and I know what the root cause of it is.

You see its like this..using myself as an example for handiness sake..well not just for handiness sake..but because I can really only speak with authority from my perspective...Anyway..I would love to be writing lyrics a la ..lets say..Robyn Hitchcock..full of metaphors and imagery and all that good gear...but it is much harder than it seems!!Its easy to just rattle off a bit of auld doggerel and lash it over a bit of a beat and get the toes tapping so thats what you do..and now with the barrier for entry to creativity being non existent almost..you don't even need to know anything about music..any tom dick or harry can knock out some semblance of a tune about drugs or whatever the lowest common denominator is that week ..I'm looking at you Gucci Gang and bish bash bosh you get a bit of traction and away you go.Great!

Dosent mean I have to like it.Dosent mean its bad either.Although it generally is bad I find.
But havent we always thought most music was shit anyway..I know I have..although I've mellowed out on that front in my dotage.Got a lot more open minded.

But I'm the doorman to my own sonic nightclub and if yer names not down..yer not coming in

TL:DR Metaphors are hard

I watched a Rick Beato video the other day about Why is all New Music Rubbish?, or something like that. They put it in part down to the move away from "Blues" and "emotion" in music. That's something I can relate to. For years I deliberately avoided anything like that in my songwriting. Some got through but really my intention was to completely flatten everything. Poker face music.

I watched a Rick Beato video the other day about Why is all New Music Rubbish?, or something like that. They put it in part down to the move away from "Blues" and "emotion" in music. That's something I can relate to. For years I deliberately avoided anything like that in my songwriting. Some got through but really my intention was to completely flatten everything. Poker face music.
I think I know what you're getting at,

not talking of you cos i don't know your taste but when people talk about poker face music, or similar, I always think of that picture of Refused (or steve albini most of the time) and wonder if they realise just how quietly camp it all is

Refused11.jpg

we r seriuos band
that image to this soundtrack

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

that aside, everything is so meta-ironic these days that there's a fair amount of humourless music to balance it, Adele as the biggest example. I think the genuine loser here is irony done well, it's all just the same 20 twitter jokes endlessly refitted.

Last edited:
musically it's same-old same-old with Dublin accents, is it not?
Well I guess it's not breaking any new ground, but ... well, no. It's in a particular genre, but it's really good IMO. Music doesn't have to be innovative to be good, does it? It's scratching my itches anyway (bigtime)

... and FWIW in my experience drugs don't improve shit music AT ALL

I would love to be writing lyrics a la ..lets say..Robyn Hitchcock..full of metaphors and imagery and all that good gear
TBH my favourite lyrics are often very direct. Lots of metaphors and imagery kinda get in the way, I find (perhaps cos they're usually poorly done). I like to feel like I'm listening to the real person talk. Kinda like Philip Larkin's poetry

Well I guess it's not breaking any new ground, but ... well, no. It's in a particular genre, but it's really good IMO. Music doesn't have to be innovative to be good, does it? It's scratching my itches anyway (bigtime)

... and FWIW in my experience drugs don't improve shit music AT ALL
Yeah, I agree with most of that, a good tune is a good tune.

TBH my favourite lyrics are often very direct. Lots of metaphors and imagery kinda get in the way, I find (perhaps cos they're usually poorly done). I like to feel like I'm listening to the real person talk. Kinda like Philip Larkin's poetry
I suppose it's the difference between the very direct but poetic

And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places

and the equally direct but imho trite

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
I'll remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead"

I mean, don't get me wrong, you can end up with Russians by Sting (great tune, great sentiment, morto lyrics) as well.

That probably explains why someone as technically good as Pharrell is dreadful when left to his own devices.

Hang on - what? Christina Aguilera? Britney? Wow! I didn't know that

Britney one wasn't used but here it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back