Versatile (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Have ye heard of this crowd? New to me, seems I'm behind the curve cos they've views in the millions on youtube

Irish Die Antwoord kinda buzz. This is a BZANGER

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(video is a bit unsettling though)

Reminds me a lot of this

It certainly achieves what it's going for, which means i'll never listen to it again because my life is stressful enough. Fair play though.

Their new one is a more chill

I sort of see all new music as made through instagram filters these days, it bugs me.

A 20 something in work told me about them. I watched a few videos. Some of it is quite dark. I see they sold out the Olympia. Fair play to em. It's not for me though. Rappers & Dublin gougers, two things I can't stand.

Aww man thats fairly amazing 10/10. First I've heard of it. Too old for that shit now though. Stressed me out just watching it.

And yeah..I don't need to be looking at videos of roadmen pulling wheelies. Halloween just around the corner and all

Just watched a load of their vids. Looks like they started small and grew. Making vids since 2014. Fair play. I still can't work out what comes first, the storyboard or the song.

I still can't work out what comes first, the storyboard or the song.
I actually watched some songwriting advice thing a while ago where the lad was saying that you should work out the audience first, then the video, and base the song on that

Pretty much the exact opposite of most bands' approach, I'd say. Unless you count 'the other people in the band' as the audience

I actually watched some songwriting advice thing a while ago where the lad was saying that you should work out the audience first, then the video, and base the song on that

Pretty much the exact opposite of most bands' approach, I'd say. Unless you count 'the other people in the band' as the audience
Is that the modern version of selling out?

Not being cynical, just thinking about it, try and reach your audience through all the noise by micro-targeting what you think will grab their attention and once you have them interested you can do your actual art? The modern version of writing an accessible single.

Fucking hell

I'd actually say that's how the big pop acts work a lot of the time. If you know what people want there's value in making it for them, right? I'm less and less judgmental about this shit as I get older - obvs that's not the kind of band Stoat is, and I personally don't have a breeze what the masses want, but if I was offered a job on a pop songwriting team making up tunes for Dua Lipa and the like I'd take hand and all

I'd actually say that's how the big pop acts work a lot of the time. If you know what people want there's value in making it for them, right?
Maybe. In a utilitarian way I suppose.

But it also means it can be safely ignored since it has no purpose outside selling more copies or whatever the lowest possible common denominator that can be found in pop music is. It's a pretty dreary ambition but obviously we all want to make bank.

I'm less and less judgmental about this shit as I get older - obvs that's not the kind of band Stoat is, and I personally don't have a breeze what the masses want, but if I was offered a job on a pop songwriting team making up tunes for Dua Lipa and the like I'd take hand and all
I'm all for discussing pop music but that includes making judgements like "this is a shit pop song" instead of just being 100% positive about everything all the time because the kids can't possibly be wrong. Frankly the kids need to be told to shut the fuck up now and then.

Am I out of touch? Not as much as I should be, we live in a 100% information all the time age. The children can still be wrong though.

Not that I don't think you should get a job writing songs for Camila Cabello, fuck it why not? Le Tigre wrote for Christina Aguilera, James Murphy wrote for Britney, Damon Albarn will (attempt to) work with anyone

Last edited:
Haha, just for the sake of clarity I should point out that don't imagine I'll ever be past the "UUURGH TURN THIS SHIT OFF!" stage

it has no purpose outside selling more copies
I dunno about that. People want to dance and sing along with their friends, and it's a joyous thing when they do. It's nice to do things that make people happy, even if those people are morons

I dunno about that. People want to dance and sing along with their friends, and it's a joyous thing when they do. It's nice to do things that make people happy, even if those people are morons

mmm, people generally dance and sing along together to stuff everyone knows though, which mostly means old songs.

When it comes to new songs everyone has been in their private listening bubble for the past few years, there's no pop hits (or very few, get lucky - uptown funk - shake it off - new rules - maybe a few more) that you hear everywhere. The very essence of pop music has become microtargeted, it's kind of contradictory. In the same way there's now no value in seeing your band getting on TOTP or stumbling onto a radio hit, it doesn't matter, no one outside the fanbase is listening anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the fanbase can be pretty massive, sell out the 3 arena big, but frankly a popular meme will be a bigger hit than a song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back