Van der Graaf - The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome (1977) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 2
ALSO ON MY FIRST LISTEN

Right now it just sounds like all the 70's playing at the same time. I'm enjoying it though.

Ok, one listen in and I doubt there will be any more.

I like it well enough but I'm just not that into prog like this - I like when a band goes off on one for a track or two on an album (a good example being 4ever 2Gether on ABC's Lexicon of Love) but for a whole album, hmmm. Its kind of like the proggiest Kate Bush bits I suppose. Is there a pop album by them I could listen to? Even Gentle Giant have this yoke.

It's cool that music like this was coming out on a pretty big label in 1977 though. We could do with a bit of that in 2018.

This is as close to pop as they came really. Apparently they thought that their previous album (World Record) was going to be a hit in the dance clubs, but that was a delusional notion.

Is this one really prog though? It sounds kinda normal rock to me, but in my head it sits along side other vdgg albums like Pawn Hearts and Godbluff so I can't be sure.

I suppose it's not the dancing gnomes with disco gregorian chanting side of prog, no. Wiki calls their stuff "art rock" which is probably a bit more accurate.

I'd be curious on how to connect this kind of shape-shifting songwriting with someone I like, say Throwing Muses, who also have songs that go all over the shop but are never accused of being prog.

Last edited:
Only seeing this now,I listened to this the other night!

Cracker. I love Peter Hamill

ALRIGHT .|..|
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But more dates to come apparently. I wish they'd announce them all in one go so I could pick the best one for traveling to. I'd rather go to a more rock venue than these concert halls. Still though.

ALRIGHT .|..|

But more dates to come apparently. I wish they'd announce them all in one go so I could pick the best one for traveling to. I'd rather go to a more rock venue than these concert halls. Still though.

Really looking forward to seeing them in September 😢

New 20-disc boxset (incl 5.1 remixes 😐 ) and vinyl reissues on the way apparently.

New stereo mixes in this upcoming boxset too, apparently as a by-product of the 5.1 mixes. I dunno what I think about remixing classic albums, if they were classic why do they need remixing? But sure why not. I always thought Still Life (vdgg album) was mixed a bit flat, the drums in particular seem a bit lifeless on the original. This new mix of Pilgrims is the business, everything seems even more deadly than before.

👍11245 🏅3425 💗426

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back