Usually not that into Hip Hop these days but... (1 Viewer)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g"]YouTube - M.I.A. PAPER PLANES official video[/nomedia]

that'd be my favourite sampled chorus thing i heard in ages

i wouldnt detract from an emulators ability to emulate anything, i think of it in some ways as a homage to music, creatively they could all do with getting away from the big beat formula, to me it nullifies the creativity in whats going on. what i really think about when it comes to performed vs electronic is the subject of colour, synaesthesia i think is the word. samples by thier nature are more perfectly coloured then acoustic (i just dont mean guitar) sounds, even if they are dissonant they are still by nature an information string thats being fed one direcion or the other.. and by being more perfectly coloured they miss out on dissonance, chance and large parts of the audio/sonic spectrum. they all seem to communicate with audience on a one way level, even when faced with somethign like ableton where the manipulation of the stuff is really at hand, its being manipulated in acordance wih an algorythym that has been programmed in ana office months before the fact of perfomance, so to my ears its all just a little bland sonically, essentialy wallpaper made of images previously deemed to be acceptable, with all thier colour and character toned down to the point where they can sit side by side.

wow, your argument is fundamentally flawed..

if you want to talk about algorithms programmed weeks before, think about the acoustic instrument maker who spends hours making sure the instrument plays well before unleashing it on the musician.. if he don't get his maths right the instrument gonna sound crap..

as for acoustics - they change with every performance and space, regardless of the acoustic/electronic instrument in question.

and re: the perfectly coloured nature of sampled elements.. could you explain that, it doesn't make much sense.. if you mention a sonic palette, an acoustic instrument would have just one colour, a sampler can see the rainbow.. i'm not saying one is better than the other by the way.. i just think both are equally valid..

have you seen any electronic music performed well? (i mean i'm not saying there's some electronic shit out there, but have you ever sat through a singer songwriter night??)

sometimes music can transcend technology to become, just 'good'.. don't forget a guitar is a piece of technology too, a sampler is just a more complicated piece..

imagine a really complicated sampler with strings that trigger the notes at different velocities and it makes its sound from a hole in the middle of it and you can see where i'm coming from.. it's ALL THE SAME

ha, interesting thread

xrich

all my arguments are fundamentally flawed. i agree with all of you all mostly, thats just my extremicised take on what sound is to me. i explained colour terribly, i'll try again. synaesthesia is the concept where people can see music as well as hear it, like the part of your head that the sound goes in is the same as the port where the light goes in, like thier both on the same usb. in my experience i see D as blueish, and A close to red. at a basic level electro music is sine waves, flawless colours. a seven note scale would be like a cartoon rainbow, with all shades completely seprate, sound from an acoustic source is different, attack/decay/defusion/string temperature/guitar temperature is beyond prediction. it means the same scale played on an acoustic (no two of which are the same) is going to look like a more natural blended rainbow.

i'm completely aware that electro based music went well past the sine waves years ago, and that its a much more diverse palette now, but its that flawless core annoys me. i use samples, terrible electric keyboards loads anyways, its all building blocks really, but in my own version of sound ethics i know which one works well in a powercut.'
some deadly acoustics on this

http://ww.smashits.com/music/oldies...6932/Kora-Kagaz-Tha-Yeh-Man-Mera-Revival.html

all my arguments are fundamentally flawed. i agree with all of you all mostly, thats just my extremicised take on what sound is to me. i explained colour terribly, i'll try again. synaesthesia is the concept where people can see music as well as hear it, like the part of your head that the sound goes in is the same as the port where the light goes in, like thier both on the same usb. in my experience i see D as blueish, and A close to red. at a basic level electro music is sine waves, flawless colours. a seven note scale would be like a cartoon rainbow, with all shades completely seprate, sound from an acoustic source is different, attack/decay/defusion/string temperature/guitar temperature is beyond prediction. it means the same scale played on an acoustic (no two of which are the same) is going to look like a more natural blended rainbow.

i'm completely aware that electro based music went well past the sine waves years ago, and that its a much more diverse palette now, but its that flawless core annoys me. i use samples, terrible electric keyboards loads anyways, its all building blocks really, but in my own version of sound ethics i know which one works well in a powercut.'
some deadly acoustics on this

http://ww.smashits.com/music/oldies...6932/Kora-Kagaz-Tha-Yeh-Man-Mera-Revival.html

ha! you got a point with the powercut shit..

interesting, i personally would see samples as much more fundamentally 'flawed' than acoustic sources.. for the simple reason they'd be from completely different acoustic sources, but like a painter a master user of a sampler could assemble them to make a lovely musical whole.. maybe with different velocities/timbres to make it not so uniform, therefore not so monochrome perhaps?

anyway that's just where we differ i suppose, and that's what makes the world go rounggh..

your sound ethics are just as sound as anybody elses..

nice to hear a different perspective.

xrich

Interesting.

I stole this quote from another blog;

In his book Skyscraper, Eric Howeler writes "the complexity of some recent skyscrapers reflects the increased use of the computer as a design tool. Many of the projects in this chapter would never have been built without computer-aided design and 3D-modelling software". Although he’s talking about buildings, he might as well be talking about electronic music.

IMO using electronics, sampling, Ableton or whatever is just a different way to make music. No more or less valid than acoustic music. Of course it's okay to have a preference, as in the OP.

saw aesop rock last year, he was deadly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i think in regards sampling that daft punk(as well as people like dj shadow, who im not a big fan of) have pretty much shown that sampling can be as clever as writing amazing hooks and riffs. theres a great art in picking samples and them deciding how to use them. daft punk also showed that even when they were exposed as serial samplers, no one really gave a shit. a good tune is a good tune. daft punk were basically ripping entire songs and tweaking them, but that doesnt bother me. the art in the tune was selecting that particular tune/sample.

yes, on one hand its a shame that theres tones of bands out there who have made amazing tunes that no one has heard and they never get recognition for them, but one we get to hear them in the end, its allllll goood.

There's a fair few groovy enough electronica type gigs in and around Copenhagen over the summer.

Well, there was the one summer I was there like. Nice chilled out small affairs often, surprisingly good sessions. Grand fizzy beer. Stall over to Christiana for your weed before if you like, and into Ungdomshuset afterwards.

Although that gaff's been exploded now, right?
Anyway. Electronica festivals around Copenhagen over the summer. Win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back