Using adblockers on sites that depend on advertising (1 Viewer)

Does that explain why I sometimes get that polite message from you on logging in and sometimes don't? Also, how can I easily disable my adblocker? I didn't install any so I'm guessing the browser (Chrome) has one.

yup

chrome doesn't have one built in, but i think a few other extensions do the same - noscript, ghostery and the like

Does that explain why I sometimes get that polite message from you on logging in and sometimes don't? Also, how can I easily disable my adblocker? I didn't install any so I'm guessing the browser (Chrome) has one.
i got this on my phone a couple of times. chrome on a z3. i have never installed or enabled an adblocker. i'm happy to click the ads like a diligent non-subscriber.

HMMM

To be honest it's as much an art as a science. I've no idea how the ad blocker detection works but I do know that in the past the bloke who wrote it had to do multiple versions in quick succession because of the very thing you're describing.

I haven't a notion about any of it. Just had a look on the phone there and ads feature, only two though, there's generally three or more on the laptop/tablet.

it depends on the ads - some don't render correctly because of the HTTPS on the site, some just don't render at all

So, in the coming weeks, we will restrict access to articles on WIRED.com if you are using an ad blocker. There will be two easy options to access that content.

You can simply add WIRED.com to your ad blocker’s whitelist, so you view ads. When you do, we will keep the ads as “polite” as we can, and you will only see standard display advertising.
You can subscribe to a brand-new Ad-Free version of WIRED.com. For $1 a week, you will get complete access to our content, with no display advertising or ad tracking.

How WIRED Is Going to Handle Ad Blocking

also: Google display ads to switch to 100% HTML, will ban Flash in 2017

Sounds like a fair system to me

I assume there'll be an ongoing battle between the adblockers and Wired to detect the blocker though? Or is that not even a thing

but we understand that some people just don't like ads. Our belief is that if someone doesn't like them, and they won't click on them
pfft, yeah, as if there's anyone who doesn't like ads

I've just removed the third-party Google ads from the site*. The only ads that should appear now are ones that have been placed directly by the ad agency I work with (1.5 party ads?).

What this means is anyone using the "I BLOCK ADS BECAUSE THEY WILL GIVE YOU INTERNET CANCER" excuse for ad blocking can now sleep easy since there's almost zero risk from pre-screened ads**. I doubt anyone really gives a shit about this though***. It also does away with most (but not all****) of the tracking stuff the advertisers do, so your privacy is a little better protected.

And in return for this, will people whitelist thumped.com in their ad blocker?

I won't be holding my breath.

* Not that easy since the agency uses Google's DFP to deliver their campaign ads

** You'll find that almost every time a publisher's ad network has been exploited in the past to deliver ransomware or whatever, it was possible because the affected publisher was using an automated system that allows their ad space to be auctioned off to the highest bidder in real-time, with little or no oversight. This means ne'er do wells can buy ads for fake sites that actually redirect to pages running exploit kits which abuse the site's visitors unpatched applications and operating system to install whatever they want (cryptolocker, backdoors, whatever). Of course if people spent half as much time keeping their patching up to date as they do whining about DANGEROUS ads... never mind.

*** See previous note about patching.

**** As mentioned above, the ad agency uses the same Google DFP infrastructure to run their ads here. And as for other tracking, the three OMG EVIL TRACKER things used here for gathering statistics are Google Analytics, Chartbeat & Intercom. That's it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back