Using a Roland SP 404 live (1 Viewer)

george mcfly

My Name Is Prince.
quick question for anyone who has used one of these live..

should i run it through a 4 channel mixer on stage

and if so..
what about outputs from the mixer?
is it going to have to run into 2 DI boxes

thanks for any help yo, i've only ever used synths in a live set up

I would recommend a mixer and then use 2 D.I. boxes. You could get away with using the 404 straight into 2 D.I. boxes too though

I haven't used mine live yet but I've played it through a P.A in my space.

I've found that by going from 404 into a mixer into PA fucks up the samples. I don't know what kind of sounds you have on yours but I do a lot of my work before I put them onto 404 so they are really specifically EQ'd and the mixer just made them sound wrong. Saying that though using the EQ on the 404 was fine and adjusting the EQ on the PA was fine.

I've found the best thing is to just go from the phono out on the 404 into a channel on the PA which would probably translate live as phono out on the 404 into DI box.

I've found that by going from 404 into a mixer into PA fucks up the samples. I don't know what kind of sounds you have on yours but I do a lot of my work before I put them onto 404 so they are really specifically EQ'd and the mixer just made them sound wrong.

yeah, same here.
but it's probably just cos i've been using a shitty behringer mixer, makes some of the samples sound really thinny and dips the volume a bit, etc

using these 404's you need to be a bit careful. they sort of compress the sound and it has this weird sheen which i like to call the, 'roland sheen'.

sort of cheap distortion.

two things you can do to avoid this

1. never run the sampler past 50% of volume, adjust the volume at the mixing desk. these things distort to fuck if you have the volume up over half way.

2. leave a lot of headroom in the samples you are putting on to the 404.. like take a look at the waveform, if it's a massive block go and rebounce it or whatever until it looks healthy with transients etc.

this should help a bit anyway.. and also come out of the phonos to quarter inch jack not headphone output..

good luck with it

rich

using these 404's you need to be a bit careful. they sort of compress the sound and it has this weird sheen which i like to call the, 'roland sheen'.

sort of cheap distortion.

two things you can do to avoid this

1. never run the sampler past 50% of volume, adjust the volume at the mixing desk. these things distort to fuck if you have the volume up over half way.

2. leave a lot of headroom in the samples you are putting on to the 404.. like take a look at the waveform, if it's a massive block go and rebounce it or whatever until it looks healthy with transients etc.

this should help a bit anyway.. and also come out of the phonos to quarter inch jack not headphone output..

good luck with it

rich

good man, Richie!

thanks.

trial by fire next thursday!

yeah, same here.
but it's probably just cos i've been using a shitty behringer mixer, makes some of the samples sound really thinny and dips the volume a bit, etc

I was also using a shitty behringer mixer. Bleedin shit wha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back