USD to EURO exchange rate: (1 Viewer)

A racist, sectarian place of privilege is a weird thing to lionise in this day and age. All ills shall flow away down the Thames off into the sea when England is a republic.

Monarchies may have been formerly racist and sectarian but I'm not sure that's the case anymore, they've adapted with changing times and are, as 7 said, an anachronism, but one that the mass of people under them seem to have no real problem with. A bit of harmless fun.

The idea that the British monarchy, or any monarchy, wield no power and just exist to fill in the pages of Hello magazine is incorrect. Even if they didn't wield any of the more insane powers they have (of which they, in fairness, generally don't) the very concept should be insulting to every person in their country.

Things get very complicated when, for example, the british army start getting involved:

Unfriendly fire: would a Corbyn government lead to a military revolt?

and that's just the tip of the iceberg with the reality of how this simple, anachronistic, dressing up (which seems to be how people want to see the royal family) can massively influence an entire countries way of thinking.

That and, uh, well all the links to fascism. Nothing like a bit of fascism, right? A great bunch of lads.

If you want to inspire people and spend millions doing it then give me the space program any day over royalty.

Monarchies may have been formerly racist and sectarian but I'm not sure that's the case anymore, they've adapted with changing times and are, as 7 said, an anachronism, but one that the mass of people under them seem to have no real problem with. A bit of harmless fun.

Catholics are barred from being British monarch and there are religious rules for various monarchies across Europe and they are racist in the very real sense that blood determines eligibility to reign.

The idea that the British monarchy, or any monarchy, wield no power and just exist to fill in the pages of Hello magazine is incorrect. Even if they didn't wield any of the more insane powers they have (of which they, in fairness, generally don't) the very concept should be insulting to every person in their country.

Things get very complicated when, for example, the british army start getting involved:

Unfriendly fire: would a Corbyn government lead to a military revolt?

and that's just the tip of the iceberg with the reality of how this simple, anachronistic, dressing up (which seems to be how people want to see the royal family) can massively influence an entire countries way of thinking.

That and, uh, well all the links to fascism. Nothing like a bit of fascism, right? A great bunch of lads.

If you want to inspire people and spend millions doing it then give me the space program any day over royalty.

Of course they have powers but these are, for the most part, limited to ceremonial roles with the 'hard' powers rarely if ever used. If a monarch was to start asserting some of the nuttier powers they have they wouldn't be long in getting removed from their position, besides which most seem content to delegate their powers to the elected government.
They may indeed influence a country's way of thinking but that can be a positive as well as a negative - they offer a figurehead for the nation to rally behind in times of crisis while their ever present presence (sorry about that) offers stability in a way that elected governments don't.

On fascism; it was a popular concept for a while, it shouldn't really be surprising that some royalty flirted with the idea, anymore than any other person may have.

Space programmes are great but people like tradition too, a monarch will, for some, appeal to a higher power in a way that elected representatives can't. The elected are, nominally anyway, of the people while the royals are above the people, until such a time as the people find that idea repugnant then why shouldn't monarchies continue to exist?

Catholics are barred from being British monarch and there are religious rules for various monarchies across Europe and they are racist in the very real sense that blood determines eligibility to reign.

Ok, I'll give you the sectarian but racist on the basis of blood lines? Not really, they exclude everyone, black, white or anywhere inbetween, unless they are of that family. There's nothing (to my knowledge) stopping a royal marrying a person of a different race, having a child with them and this child then ascending to the throne.

Of course they have powers but these are, for the most part, limited to ceremonial roles with the 'hard' powers rarely if ever used. If a monarch was to start asserting some of the nuttier powers they have they wouldn't be long in getting removed from their position, besides which most seem content to delegate their powers to the elected government.
They may indeed influence a country's way of thinking but that can be a positive as well as a negative - they offer a figurehead for the nation to rally behind in times of crisis while their ever present presence (sorry about that) offers stability in a way that elected governments don't.

Yeah, you know I'm not OK with that. If we live in a democracy then it's insulting to the electorate to know that there are people who are above the law and better than them for purely blood reasons.

And as for using the royal family as a crutch to get yourselves through hard times... proof positive that they should be utterly removed so people can fucking cop on to themselves. We don't live in medieval times!

On fascism; it was a popular concept for a while, it shouldn't really be surprising that some royalty flirted with the idea, anymore than any other person may have.
Oh it's not surprising, but it's not ok and it's not like they have ever been especially secret that they're still more or less in favour of it. "I never thought Hitler was such a bad chap." and all that

Space programmes are great but people like tradition too, a monarch will, for some, appeal to a higher power in a way that elected representatives can't. The elected are, nominally anyway, of the people while the royals are above the people, until such a time as the people find that idea repugnant then why shouldn't monarchies continue to exist?

One of the few good things about Ireland is that we've been at that time for ages now.

Yeah, you know I'm not OK with that. If we live in a democracy then it's insulting to the electorate to know that there are people who are above the law and better than them for purely blood reasons.

And as for using the royal family as a crutch to get yourselves through hard times... proof positive that they should be utterly removed so people can fucking cop on to themselves. We don't live in medieval times!

Oh it's not surprising, but it's not ok and it's not like they have ever been especially secret that they're still more or less in favour of it. "I never thought Hitler was such a bad chap." and all that

One of the few good things about Ireland is that we've been at that time for ages now.

I don't know, the great mass of Brits, Danes, Swedes, Dutch etc don't seem to be that insulted by the presence of a Royal family.
Not a crutch so much as an inspiration, every nation has some unifying (well, probably not wholly unifying but as near as possible to that) ideal to get behind, why not a royal family for some?
Some members of the royal family may have been in favour of it but it doesn't make sense to extrapolate from that "they're still more or less in favour of it".
Have we been at that time though? We fought to get the British out, not the royal family itself, that just happened to be a side effect. If we had had a royal family of our own who's to say we still wouldn't have one?

The rate is $1.10 and these cunts are charging almost $1.14

That's a live shot from Nenagh.

ApQyXqxfpkSpHTYT6NcVIGVkYyiHnEnLdQrzQGhxpBla.jpg

Looks like the dollar is down against the euro again today {about half a %} I wouldn't be surprised if it drops lower this year though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back