US politics (5 Viewers)

It's not really comparable other than looking at a technology change, but the much loved but also assasinated Kennedy was the first television president - I think Obama was the internet 1.0 president kinda.

It's not really comparable other than looking at a technology change, but the much loved but also assasinated Kennedy was the first television president - I think Obama was the internet 1.0 president kinda.
At the time he was elected I remember there was a lot of talk of the Obama team's social media usage being a big thing in getting the vote out.

Could have just been nonsense talk of course, he was a young, handsome, charismatic black guy who went out of his way to not scare the rich donors, I don't know if early Twitter was actually a big factor.

At the time he was elected I remember there was a lot of talk of the Obama team's social media usage being a big thing in getting the vote out.

Could have just been nonsense talk of course, he was a young, handsome, charismatic black guy who went out of his way to not scare the rich donors, I don't know if early Twitter was actually a big factor.

I remember him having a spotify playlist, some pepsi looking twitter graphics and a lot of facebook astroturfing kinda stuff floating around. It was more he used the web as a platform more than Wee George Bush did, if he did at all.

Trump would be more of a web 2.0 using the outrage machine to just be in everyones face all the fucking time.

His spotify playlists and reading lists still make headline news every six months!

1633607048998.jpeg
1200px-Pepsi_logo_2014.svg.png

Wasn't Hilary supposed to have the most online campaign ever, both in terms of using the big data to plan her failure (and ignoring calls from the ground in battleground states saying "errr, we're in trouble here") and also all that dumb "what 3 emojis best sum up your feelings about your college debt" shit?

Perhaps it's my own online circle including a lot of people who big into the whole "pantsuit nation" thing that skewed my observations of it a bit.

Wasn't Hilary supposed to have the most online campaign ever, both in terms of using the big data to plan her failure (and ignoring calls from the ground in battleground states saying "errr, we're in trouble here") and also all that dumb "what 3 emojis best sum up your feelings about your college debt" shit?

Perhaps it's my own online circle including a lot of people who big into the whole "pantsuit nation" thing that skewed my observations of it a bit.
Huh. Didn't hear that one.

She probably spent more money online than anyone ever, but seeing as she's cynical bastard riding on her husband's resume who felt she was owed the presidency because she put up with her cynical bastard husband, it fell flat.

Obama's and Trump's online campaign left her for dead.

was reading a thing recently about how the best way to understand the contemporary US is to read pretty much all politics as the shadow of factional struggles within the security state (similar to Russia, Pakistan, plenty of other places). a bit simplistic, obviously, and not entirely persuasive, but worth thinking through as a frame.

anyway, with this in mind, US inter-elite factional struggles result in the weirdest billboards

Surprise, surprise Glenn Greenwald is in a fight with someone on twitter, but I thought this reply sums up a lot of the culture war stuff we see talked about constantly

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Surprise, surprise Glenn Greenwald is in a fight with someone on twitter, but I thought this reply sums up a lot of the culture war stuff we see talked about constantly

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here, are you very well versed in Twitter, or am I profoundly out of touch.

Well, ok, let's rephrase that.

Are you very well versed in The Twitter?

I keep looking into the whole twitter thing, and it seems probably quite bad. I got into it once because a dickhead Texan cyclist was talking shit about someone I was mates with's sister, and there seemed to be info to be had. So I did it for my mate. But in general it's frightening.

Would you say you're more informed than the average Twiiter user, or normal?

Let's say I'm using the word informed from the perspective of... like, Twitter. There's clearly info to be had. I'm thinking I'm too tired and old to dredge through it though.

Twitter used passively is a link source.

Twitter used actively is a computer game and if you "get into it" on there and forget that then you're losing the computer game.

There's an American lad I know from another forum from years ago. The forum is no longer around but we follow each other on instagram. Always liked the dude, seemed like a nice lad.

Some sort of Latino guy, not sure of his exact background but I remember that he used to call people people on the usage for terms like "illegal immigrant" ("undocumented actually"). Whatever happened to him his brain seems to have been eaten by Trump worms because his insta stories these days are some seriously deranged shit. Quite sad really, it's not like he's just moved to the right a bit, he's gone full loon.

There's an American lad I know from another forum from years ago. The forum is no longer around but we follow each other on instagram. Always liked the dude, seemed like a nice lad.

Some sort of Latino guy, not sure of his exact background but I remember that he used to call people people on the usage for terms like "illegal immigrant" ("undocumented actually"). Whatever happened to him his brain seems to have been eaten by Trump worms because his insta stories these days are some seriously deranged shit. Quite sad really, it's not like he's just moved to the right a bit, he's gone full loon.

I saw the same thing in-real-life sort of deal. Two Serbian/American brothers, both pretty much with the same set up in life.

I watched as one of the guys went from a friend, to a person I'd be happy to meet up with, to someone who'd say strange things at Christmas dinner, to multiple conspiracy theory advocate, to racist Republican, to Trump supporter seething with hatred of almost everyone, within the space of around 10 years.

There were a couple bouts of mental illness, some strangeness when he started having sex with the mother of a woman he failed to flirt with, and then moved in with the mother. I lost contact with him around the full on racism Republican campaigning stage. But he was pretty much a normal guy when I met him, I'd be over in his apartment, going for bike rides, beers at his Apt complex pool. Happy, integrated into the US, extremely close with his family and happy to speak Serbian etc in public, almost into the abyss.

The other brother's path was almost the exact opposite.

Not sure what he's up to these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back