US politics (1 Viewer)

I reckon it would be quite hard to give a sympathetic interview. He's lashing out and changing his opinion so quickly he'd have a fight with himself at this point.

If they stuck to topics like how handsome and big and strong he is, and how good looking all them blonde bitches he nailed were, you might be able to pull it off, but you'd need to keep on your toes. It's like petting a dickhead cat. You're petting away, and the cat is purring, and then the cat gets mortally offended by one pet, takes a massive swipe at you and storms off set.

Yeah. I completely agree with this, this is almost exactly what I was trying to say before re: the Biden admin will sit, and normalize and calm things, in preparation for the next sociopath the GOP finds to distract people with while they drive.

The "Biden's gonna save us all!" magical thinking seems more pronounced than the "Obama's gonna save us all!" magical thinking was.

But there's no alternative I guess. It was magical thinking on my part imagining that the current shock and revulsion might force change.

I guess the option of Biden picking a capable VP, and fucking off a few months in, is still on the table.

I've never seen a more shameless human being. He cracks me up.:ROFLMAO:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He's a marketing guy, sure. It makes complete sense. It was only a matter of time before a marketing person, who politicians have been employing for decades to sell them, worked out that the "political" bit of the message was unnecessary to win.

He invented the term "fake news" which everyone uses now. There hasn't been such a widely-used term since the Ronseal guy said "It does exactly what is says on the tin". Crooked Hilary, Sleepy Joe Biden* - more marketing terms. It also helps that he's sociopathic.

(* I much prefer "Weekend at Bernie's Biden" from the above article though, haha)

He's a marketing guy, sure. It makes complete sense. It was only a matter of time before a marketing person, who politicians have been employing for decades to sell them, worked out that the "political" bit of the message was unnecessary to win.
So the only way the Dems can defeat them now is with a team of marketing guys plus an actor who's better on stage than Trump. Is that what AOC is? I mean I love her, but ... y'know she says what I wanna hear, and that dancing video really won me over. Is it people like me the Dems are aiming at now? GUYS! I DON'T HAVE A VOTE IN THE US! TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

So the only way the Dems can defeat them now is with a team of marketing guys plus an actor who's better on stage than Trump. Is that what AOC is? I mean I love her, but ... y'know she says what I wanna hear, and that dancing video really won me over. Is it people like me the Dems are aiming at now? GUYS! I DON'T HAVE A VOTE IN THE US! TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

Voting in the US is confusing and a monumental pain in the hole (from what I've seen). In Ireland I'd come home from work, my dad would drop by, and we'd breeze down to some cavernous empty Church hall with a rake of aul wans sitting behind tables, and vote. It was a simple process, no stress.

In the US even finding when are where you're meant to vote is not completely straight forward. Then you have to get there, it might not within walking distance, so you might drive, you won't be able to park though. Then you find your polling place, and you join the line. There's lines out the doors, round the building, and you stand there shuffling along.

It's Americans, so there's a lot of "yeah, let's so DO THIS THING!", but even if you've managed to get there on time, it's not raining, you're not worried about getting back to cook the kids dinner something, even then it's still a pain in the hole.

So loads of people just do not vote. If you made it easy to vote even catastrophically shit candidates like Hillary or Biden win easily. But you have to be jazzed about the candidate because voting is hard and it sucks, and fundamentally the prospect of taking a chunk of your day to vote for someone you don't really like is miserable.

So yeah, they can and do try to make the likes of Hillary Fuck My Life Clinton etc seem like an exciting prospect, but the voting system itself is designed to repel people. If you could do ranked choice voting, then people could vote for someone they liked, and then fill out the ballot including Clinton Mk II. Or if they made voting really easy, and not so that you have to shape your day around escaping work / kids / missing a meal, again people might not need to be quite so fucking jazzed to vote.

Ah. Post is too long.

Essentially: voting here is onerous, and doesn't allow you to vote for the person you want anyway. You can try to do what you're saying, keep getting people excited (OMG AOC/Obama!) but that's going to be very difficult to do consistently. Alternatively you could just fix the disaster of a voting system. (Which to be fair, if they got mail in votes that would make things better.)

I dunno, Boris Johnson is similar though, right? Funny-haired cartoon character. Marketable. It's like in that Simpsons documentary years ago, where Matt Groening reasoned that to make a cartoon character work it has to be immediately identifiable in silhouette, a la Mickey Mouse, hence Bart's spiky hair. That's all you need. We won't be laughing when a báinín-wearing Healy-Rae becomes Taoiseach, bans biology in schools and raises the drink-driving limit in rural areas to fifteen pints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back