US politics (7 Viewers)

I never said NYC is any more or Less racist than LA or seattle.

In fact i didnt mention them at all and i dont Know why youre mentioning them. Im referring to The racist Irish cops that were on the east coast, so why would i mention the west coast?its irrelevant

The timespan i was referring to was the first wave of mass migration / post famine; late 18th C / Early 20th C

I dont know if youre arguing with me that it didn't happen (because it definitely did) or something else
I'm saying that describing any ethnic group of people as being violent racists is unhelpful and usually inaccurate
Talking about any ethnicity that way is rarely helpful

The only way the cartoon works is if you believe Irish Americans are, as a group, violent racists

What the Kerry girl drew was basically an updated Punch cartoon and I have a problem with the depiction

ETA
(I acknowledge that this is a widely held view though and there is not a whole lot of love for Irish Americans in
Ireland
Probably belongs in Unpopular Opinions - "I think Irish Americans are mostly alright")

Last edited:
The only way the cartoon works is if you believe Irish Americans are, as a group, violent racists

What the Kerry girl drew was basically an updated Punch cartoon and I have a problem with the depiction

ETA
(I acknowledge that this is a widely held view though and there is not a whole lot of love for Irish Americans in
Ireland
Probably belongs in Unpopular Opinions - "I think Irish Americans are mostly alright")

I don't see it that way. I see it more as an interception of the friendly lovable leprechaun. Conor mcgregor, that one who sang the prince song with the baldy hair framed at a cliffside. I was an irish in america for a while, i'm not immune to the concept from a 1st person perspective. It interrupts the hagiography at a time where we were all going for a free ride on the magical virtue carpet of supporting the people protesting the murder. Its much worse for me have be on that magical virtue carpet without being honest, much worse.

I'm saying that describing any ethnic group of people as being violent racists is unhelpful and usually inaccurate
Talking about any ethnicity that way is rarely helpful

ETA
Ireland

We are talking about Actual history.
Aka: the past
Its not unhelpful to look at how they got to where they are now and neither is it Inaccurate to say that there was a plethora of racist Irish cops.

I am, however, saying That It is important to look at historical context and point out that some of our recent ancestors Were as racist as it got. Which is contrary To wider knowledge.

Not Completely unlike a Brit that totally accepts they were imperial cunts and acknowledges Churchill's genocide

I never stated That all ameican-Irish are racist. I think it is fair to say that alot of them certainly Seem to have have form for it, especially Those in working Police Departments

We are talking about Actual history.
Aka: the past
Its not unhelpful to look at how they got to where they are now and neither is it Inaccurate to say that there was a plethora of racist Irish cops.

I am, however, saying That It is important to look at historical context and point out that some of our recent ancestors Were as racist as it got. Which is contrary To wider knowledge.

Not Completely unlike a Brit that totally accepts they were imperial cunts and acknowledges Churchill's genocide

I never stated That all ameican-Irish are racist. I think it is fair to say that alot of them certainly Seem to have have form for it, especially Those in working Police Departments
My objection is to the Punch cartoon not you.

This is a timeline going back to 1606 and up to today written by a respected black commentator - it does not mention Ireland or the Irish, but it does mention the British and the Dutch; imperialist slave countries.

The cartoon is just a sneer at a group no one in Ireland really likes anyways and doesn't address an issue anyone else is bringing up.
There is a groundswell of serious dislike for Irish Americans in Ireland and they are always up for a kicking.
Nevermind that Irish Americans from Chuck Feeney to George Mitchell have changed Ireland for the better, and that mayors like Marty Walsh declare their cities sanctuaries from the worst excesses of fascism.
There's fuck all balance in the discussion.

Last edited:
My objection is to the Punch cartoon not you.

This is a timeline going back to 1606 and up to today written by a respected black commentator - it does not mention Ireland or the Irish, but it does mention the British and the Dutch; imperialist slave countries.

The cartoon is just a sneer at a group no one in Ireland really likes anyways and doesn't address an issue anyone else is bringing up.
There is a groundswell of serious dislike for Irish Americans in Ireland and they are always up for a kicking.
Nevermind that Irish Americans from Chuck Feeney to George Mitchell have changed Ireland for the better, and that mayors like Marty Walsh declare their cities sanctuaries from the worst excesses of fascism.
There's fuck all balance in the discussion.
I see plenty of idiots on Twitter bringing up the "Irish were slaves" myth as an argument against the protests. About one tweet every 5 minutes, poor @Limerick1914 can't keep up.

I mean, they're probably all inconsequential bot accounts and the like but I think in light of that the cartoon is justified, you're probably correct about her audience being mostly homegrown Irish though.

It was made in solidarity as well, the last post before that was about racism here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is a groundswell of serious dislike for Irish Americans in Ireland and they are always up for a kicking
You think? I wouldn't be slow to slag off Irish Americans if I got the chance, but ... well, surely we can all agree that it's ok to slag off the Yanks? And then if we only slag off our own Yanks we can at least be sure we're not inadvertently making fun of some recently-immigrated or oppressed people whose history we don't know

Umm..

You think? I wouldn't be slow to slag off Irish Americans if I got the chance, but ... well, surely we can all agree that it's ok to slag off the Yanks? And then if we only slag off our own Yanks we can at least be sure we're not inadvertently making fun of some recently-immigrated or oppressed people whose history we don't know
Sorest winners going. Think of how often Trump, the most powerful man on the planet, paints himself as the victim. It's not enough to completely dominant the world, the world has to be nice to you too.

I suppose we have our own version of it as well, in our heads we're always under the boot of the British empire or the church, forever oppressed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back