US politics (1 Viewer)

Yeah. There seems to be a whole industry built up around flogging ex-mil stuff to PDs. R & D for those things are quite high I'm assuming, and if your sole market is US Mil and they decide to switch to a different vehicle you'd be up shit creek.

So just flog them to the Alabama PDs etc. Cops bang on relentlessly about how dangerous the job is (despite the fact it's not very dangerous), so the stuff sells itself.

I was slightly incorrect, the defense contractors don't sell to the PD's, it comes from the military direct and I think it may be free. A lot of the military high ups in the US have said "we don't need all this stuff" when the government puts in big orders for new tech, or at least it's more a case of "that's not what we need" because I'm sure they're happy to have such a large budget spent on them. But the politicians keep ordering that shit because a) the money is paid to the defense contractors that donate to their campaigns b) the military budget is basically a jobs programme for the constituents of many of them and no one wants to be in a biannual election cycle and be blamed as the guy who got the town's tank factory shut down.

So the military gets all this new shit, despite having perfectly adequate killing machines already and by law excess stock has to be made available to the police. The local departments go "oh that tank is cool, I'd like that please" and all of a sudden they have a tank. And what's the point of having a tank if you're not going to use the tank? Even college campus and school district police departments are in possession of ex military tech. The LA school district police department (TIL that school districts have police departments BTW) own 3 grenade launchers and the Ohio state campus cops own a "Mine Resistant, Ambush Protected" vehicle complete with its own machine gun turret. Considering that Arizona State owns 70 ex military M-16's (The Rambo 2 gun) I'm sure that Ohio State has a few of them to stick on top of their MRAP as well.

Obama actually signed an executive order limiting some of the things that could be made available to the police but obviously Trump rescinded that,

(thank you wikipedia, ma fren)

Live youtube: white house rosegarden with explosions in the background

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It depends what you hear when you hear words apparently.

why did he specifically call out the 2nd amendment rights?
Is there any way to read it other than he's asking for his supporters to start shooting protesters.
He's baiting for a race war.

That Biden though, too centrist on some issues. Hard to decide on who to pick in November.

b9k1fix0fp151.jpg

I was slightly incorrect, the defense contractors don't sell to the PD's, it comes from the military direct and I think it may be free. A lot of the military high ups in the US have said "we don't need all this stuff" when the government puts in big orders for new tech, or at least it's more a case of "that's not what we need" because I'm sure they're happy to have such a large budget spent on them. But the politicians keep ordering that shit because a) the money is paid to the defense contractors that donate to their campaigns b) the military budget is basically a jobs programme for the constituents of many of them and no one wants to be in a biannual election cycle and be blamed as the guy who got the town's tank factory shut down.

So the military gets all this new shit, despite having perfectly adequate killing machines already and by law excess stock has to be made available to the police. The local departments go "oh that tank is cool, I'd like that please" and all of a sudden they have a tank. And what's the point of having a tank if you're not going to use the tank? Even college campus and school district police departments are in possession of ex military tech. The LA school district police department (TIL that school districts have police departments BTW) own 3 grenade launchers and the Ohio state campus cops own a "Mine Resistant, Ambush Protected" vehicle complete with its own machine gun turret. Considering that Arizona State owns 70 ex military M-16's (The Rambo 2 gun) I'm sure that Ohio State has a few of them to stick on top of their MRAP as well.

Obama actually signed an executive order limiting some of the things that could be made available to the police but obviously Trump rescinded that,

Where is all this going to go? There's no specific aims from the protesters except real change and neither the Trump administration nor the cops look like they're going to back down... the Dems are largely dead in the water and the election is half a year away anyway. Is it going to end/start with an actual massacre of civilians?

Where is all this going to go? There's no specific aims from the protesters except real change and neither the Trump administration nor the cops look like they're going to back down... the Dems are largely dead in the water and the election is half a year away anyway. Is it going to end/start with an actual massacre of civilians?

If anyone's up late in Ireland, this is starting right now
Angela Davis is always worthwhile

View attachment 14022

And probably obvious, but there's been a shitload more of this surplus stuff since the Iraq and Afghanistan wars

Oh yeah, meant to post this re: Bernie losing

Our own Angela Nagle and MIchael Tracey, vaguely controversial article but worth a read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back