US politics (3 Viewers)

I work with a US marine

Funniest, goofiest motherfucker I've met here

Thinks he can corner the world market in blimps
oh yeah. I've met a few of those lads. They were pretty sound on the whole. They'd have that lame USMC tattoo. But they'd be a step up from the dorks in the US Army, in the sense they'd have an actual personality, and thoughts and stuff.

Bernie bros gonna bro

" It’s disappointing Senator Sanders’ supporters have viciously attacked the Culinary Union & working families in NV"

Eesh

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They consistently have nothing on Sanders so have to resort to attacking his followers. Also it should be noted that "Bernie Bros" is a racist, sexist, transphobic terms that erases the reality of the most diverse coalition in the 2020 primary.

Winning over people who already have good private healthcare and don't want to risk losing it for something untested is one of the toughest jobs for Sanders for sure though.

Last edited:
Any Dem is better than Trump.

It's a Scotus election as much as a pres.
Trump is already on track to have a quarter of all federal judges. It would be horrible to hand him the Supreme for the rest of our lifetimes.

I'll vote for Bloomberg just as readily as I would for Bernie in a general.
Nothing matters only getting Trump out at that point.

In other news, there's a morning fundraiser happening in my work right now for Kennedy.

Why is that?
The short answer is because Trump is a lazy coward who just wants to go to cool parties while Bloomberg is a cruel, bloodless monster of efficiency who will run the country just like he ran new York, using the Police as his own private military force and changing the laws whenever it suits him. Fascism, we hardly knew ye.

The longer answer involves looking at his history - at least if he buys the endorsement it will destroy any pretence the Democratic establishment still has that they are beholden to progressive values or the rights of minorities or women. It'll be a shot in the heart and the whole thing will likely fall apart at the seams 🤷‍♂️. Awful in the short term sure, but maybe something better will emerge.

on the other hand he might win and we can say hello to more wars, all over the world as the two republican parties both pit billionaires against each other for all time.

The longer answer involves looking at his history, - at least if he buys the endorsement it will destroy any pretence the Democratic establishment still has that they are beholden to progressive values or the rights of minorities or women. It'll be a shot in the heart and the whole thing will likely fall apart at the seams 🤷‍♂️. Awful in the short term sure, but maybe something better will emerge.
The corollary of this is that if Trump gets in, and anything better does emerge later - if you want to call it the President AOC scenario - it would face a possible/likely 7-2 GOP majority at Scotus; every program of hers would be challenged, a lot would die for a generation.
And we lose Roe, the way we lost the Voting Rights Act. These people that hate us don't sleep.

If you're playing the long game on issues that matter, you have to vote Dem in November. No matter who it is.

The corollary of this is that if Trump gets in, and anything better does emerge later - if you want to call it the President AOC scenario - it would face a possible/likely 7-2 GOP majority at Scotus; every program of hers would be challenged, a lot would die for a generation.
And we lose Roe, the way we lost the Voting Rights Act. These people that hate us don't sleep.

If you're playing the long game on issues that matter, you have to vote Dem in November. No matter who it is.
Well for starters what makes you think Bloomberg will bring in dem-friendly or progressive supreme court justices?

Secondly, it's likely a moot point, do you think enough Bernie supporters will vote Bloomberg? They're a big base to lose, can't see anyone beating Trump without them.

Well for starters what makes you think Bloomberg will bring in dem-friendly or progressive supreme court justices?
Well no one knows who Bloomberg might nominate, but he'll need support from the Dem half of the chamber, so he'll need someone with Dem support.
It's also as much about who he doesn't nominate.
What we can say - with some degree of certainty - is what he won't do is nominate a Federalist Soc member - given his campaign on gun rights and his stance on abortion and other key issues.
It's as much about what we avoid; another Gorsuch or Kavanaugh. They have endless guys like this lined up.

Secondly, it's likely a moot point, do you think enough Bernie supporters will vote Bloomberg? They're a big base to lose, can't see anyone beating Trump without them.
I don't know that either.
It seems short-sighted of them to allow Bernie, in effect, to become another Nader and allow another right-wing cabal at the helm.
But they do seem like zealots, and if they want to hamstring the movement for 40 years with a right-wing judiciary, that's what they might do.

The left is always more likely to split because it's a coalition.

Well no one knows who Bloomberg might nominate, but he'll need support from the Dem half of the chamber, so he'll need someone with Dem support.
It's also as much about who he doesn't nominate.
What we can say - with some degree of certainty - is what he won't do is nominate a Federalist Soc member - given his campaign on gun rights.
It's as much about what we avoid. Another Gorsuch or Kavanaugh.

Look at Bernie's history and then look at Bloomberg's history and tell me who would most likely appoint someone you like to the supreme court.

I don't know that either.
It seems short-sighted of them to allow Bernie, in effect, to become another Nader and allow another right-wing cabal at the helm.
But they do seem like zealots, and if they want to hamstring the movement for 40 years with a right-wing judiciary, that's what they might do.

The left is always more likely to split because it's a coalition.
Yep, since the only important thing is to beat Trump and Bernie's base have made it clear they will not vote for anyone else, for those who are unsure who to support it is clear that they must hold their nose and support Bernie Sanders - he's the only one who can have the numbers to beat Trump.

On the plus side, here are all the polls for Bernie vs. Trump and he keeps winning:

Look at Bernie's history and then look at Bloomberg's history and tell me who would most likely appoint someone you like to the supreme court.

That's not the choice we're talking about - it's this one
1582040569189.png

I'd take Warren, Bernie, Amy, Petey way before I take Mike.
But in November it's whoever's wearing blue. There is no other choice then.
If you sit on your hands then, you're letting Mitch McConnell and Stephen miller make your decisions for you.

Bernie's base have made it clear they will not vote for anyone else
Absolutely their call.
It saddens me that they would do it, but a non-vote in this tight election is a vote for the establishment candidate.
The poll numbers don't really mean anything til after the conventions.

I have no issue with Bernie as a candidate.
But the idea that any of the Dems would be worse than Trump is really way far off the mark.

There is nobody on the stage Wednesday that would be worse than the situation we have now.
It's not even a question.

Bloomberg is the only one I'd say would be worse than Trump. There'll be no coming back from the billionaire vs. billionaire contest for US President, and Bloomberg's history as a maniacal and cruel man is undeniable. After that it'll be #Zuckerberg2024 vs. #Koch2024

Last edited:
Trump continuing to move on the Justice Dept and pardon or free utter scumbags

If you are corrupt or get rich through corrupt practices, this president has your back

A couple of drug convictions commuted so he can put grateful black people in his election ads

Remaking the American justice system - in the wrong direction

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back