US politics (8 Viewers)

It's been fascinating to watch the New York Times do their very best to ignore Bernie in the democratic debates, literally using pictures like this to represent it

12debate-ledeall-castrobiden-jumbo.jpg

or this doozy the other day

"In a national poll released by CNN on Wednesday, Mr. Biden was supported by 35 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents who were 65 or older. Ms. Warren was next at 22 percent. No other Democratic candidate exceeded 5 percent."

with no further comment on any other age groups.

It's not that they aren't allowed to have their favourites but they're still trying to put themselves forward as unbiased. The jig is up lads.

Last edited:

He's going to continue to ignore the law, as is his way.

He's already trebled down on the law breaking thing as POTUS, since he is apparently definitely above the law as POTUS.

Afterwards (assuming afterwards exists) he's above the law as a rich person living in the US. By the time any cases might grind through court, although big if, he's going to drag everything out until he dies. At that point the... offspring... will have distributed and vanished any money between them.

43% of Americans support this creature.

No matter how disgusting he gets, nothing, literally nothing, can change the mind of 43% of Americans. It's frightening. The only thing that I can compare it to is religion.

43% of Americans support this creature.

No matter how disgusting he gets, nothing, literally nothing, can change the mind of 43% of Americans. It's frightening. The only thing that I can compare it to is religion.
I was listening or watching or reading some THING the other day talking about this, saying that "the left" has been too afraid to embrace their side like a religion, which is exactly the kind of fervour that is needed to actually win in politics and this is why "the Right" is constantly winning.

I was listening or watching or reading some THING the other day talking about this, saying that "the left" has been too afraid to embrace their side like a religion, which is exactly the kind of fervour that is needed to actually win in politics and this is why "the Right" is constantly winning.

The Rs have pretty much nailed down the Christian religious fanatic vote, by sort of co-opting Christianity. I suppose the idea that getting being a Christian to be synonymous with being a Republican, turning Republicanism into a religion.

The Dems they almost have a religious element with Beto And Obama. People adore the idea of them even if they might be a bit vague on the details.

I think it's a bad idea, it's getting near demagoguery and away from any sort of issue based voting. It clearly works though.

If that's the path they choose to go down we're in trouble, two warring demagogues... yeah. At the moment it's a demagogue versus a politician.

I know it's still very, very early days but last time I checked Beto has been polling at about 1% for ages now.

Blurgh

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway, it's looking more and more like Warren will win the nomination and then we'll have a year or so of Trump calling her Pocahontas and then an election that'll be totally up in the air.

VOTE BERNIE YOU PRICKS.

His government was constantly in chaos, with officials having no idea what he wanted them to do, and nobody was entirely clear who was actually in charge of what. He procrastinated wildly when asked to make difficult decisions, and would often end up relying on gut feeling, leaving even close allies in the dark about his plans. His "unreliability had those who worked with him pulling out their hair," as his confidant Ernst Hanfstaengl later wrote in his memoir Zwischen Weißem und Braunem Haus. This meant that rather than carrying out the duties of state, they spent most of their time in-fighting and back-stabbing each other in an attempt to either win his approval or avoid his attention altogether, depending on what mood he was in that day.
There's a bit of an argument among historians about whether this was a deliberate ploy on Hitler's part to get his own way, or whether he was just really, really bad at being in charge of stuff. Dietrich himself came down on the side of it being a cunning tactic to sow division and chaos—and it's undeniable that he was very effective at that. But when you look at Hitler's personal habits, it's hard to shake the feeling that it was just a natural result of putting a workshy narcissist in charge of a country.
Hitler was incredibly lazy. According to his aide Fritz Wiedemann, even when he was in Berlin he wouldn't get out of bed until after 11 a.m., and wouldn't do much before lunch other than read what the newspapers had to say about him, the press cuttings being dutifully delivered to him by Dietrich.
He was obsessed with the media and celebrity, and often seems to have viewed himself through that lens. He once described himself as "the greatest actor in Europe," and wrote to a friend, "I believe my life is the greatest novel in world history." In many of his personal habits he came across as strange or even childish—he would have regular naps during the day, he would bite his fingernails at the dinner table, and he had a remarkably sweet tooth that led him to eat "prodigious amounts of cake" and "put so many lumps of sugar in his cup that there was hardly any room for the tea."
He was deeply insecure about his own lack of knowledge, preferring to either ignore information that contradicted his preconceptions, or to lash out at the expertise of others. He hated being laughed at, but enjoyed it when other people were the butt of the joke (he would perform mocking impressions of people he disliked). But he also craved the approval of those he disdained, and his mood would quickly improve if a newspaper wrote something complimentary about him.
Little of this was especially secret or unknown at the time. It's why so many people failed to take Hitler seriously until it was too late, dismissing him as merely a "half-mad rascal" or a "man with a beery vocal organ." In a sense, they weren't wrong. In another, much more important sense, they were as wrong as it's possible to get.
Hitler's personal failings didn't stop him having an uncanny instinct for political rhetoric that would gain mass appeal, and it turns out you don't actually need to have a particularly competent or functional government to do terrible things.

LOL, I think that's the first time Hitler has felt relatable, good job Tom Phillips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back