US politics (8 Viewers)

There is a groundswell of serious dislike for Irish Americans in Ireland and they are always up for a kicking.
Nevermind that Irish Americans from Chuck Feeney to George Mitchell have changed Ireland for the better, and that mayors like Marty Walsh declare their cities sanctuaries from the worst excesses of fascism.
There's fuck all balance in the discussion.

No I'm not finished attacking the Irish Americans.

this is sarcasm

I just don't conflate with criticism with being anti.

You think? I wouldn't be slow to slag off Irish Americans if I got the chance, but ... well, surely we can all agree that it's ok to slag off the Yanks? And then if we only slag off our own Yanks we can at least be sure we're not inadvertently making fun of some recently-immigrated or oppressed people whose history we don't know
To me they're a lot of people that were starved or poverty'd or industrial schooled or sexually shamed out of their own country and went to the US to do the best they could
Their descendants are taught to be proud they're Irish - just like the Italian kids and the Armenian kids and the Puerto Rican kids are told similar.
They come back to visit, to keep promises and they're told they ain't shit back in Ireland; whether that's just plastic paddy or violent racist or whatever cheap shot anyone feels like slinging.
No one is slow to slag off irish Americans when they get the chance. That's my whole point.
Despite coming back because they are in thrall to the country.
Despite Atlantic Philanthropies, the peace process or whatever other benefits have flowed back.
Any way about it; the love is pretty much a one-way street.

I don't like it, and I don't have to.
And none of you have to agree with me either. It's just a different perspective.

The English are actively trying to undo and renege on the peace process, are barreling us all toward fucking us over with a no-deal Brexit - Englishness is a literal and present threat to the island - and they come over to Dublin by the boatload to show their love on booze, piss and puke parties.
If you're Irish living in England, your English friends likely make Irish jokes about you behind your back if you're lucky, to your face if you're not.
Everyone agrees that it's okay to slag off the yanks. Yes.
The Americans love us, they just don't do it authentically enough for us, the English still just think we're a joke.
But if you say you have a problem with the tans, you're some unreconstructed knuckle-dragger.
I personally can't square that circle.
But I understand instinctively thinking an entire nation is a bunch of fucks.
I have lived and worked in London - a fabulous city - and I have lived and worked in the north of England. Nothing about Brexit has yet surprised me.

I have a busy day today and I really don't want to keep getting into this. I am not arguing. Just stating.
Again, it's just a perspective, and I know not a popular one. No one's gonna change anyone's mind.

Really gotta work.

This video here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@flashback I was thinking about what you were saying a while back, about the Russian lads you know who just grow up knowing not to take anything anyone in government or the media says at face value.

I think I remember reading somewhere that this whole "make the OK sign a white power thing" was dreamt up a few years back as a deliberate troll to wind people up that has now taken on a life of its own.

Like, personally i'd automatically assume someone doing an OK symbol is just saying "OK," but then we know that a fair few cops have connections with white power groups....

If you try and understand this stuff you end up having to litigate every single thing that's out there and it strikes me that the Steve Bannon's of this world have been successful in their quest for breaking everyone's brain and leaving us all lost and mistrustful of everything. It's like everything is a personal rorschach test and we've all found a way of failing it. And there's no going back is there?

What? That 'ok' hand gesture is a white power thing now?

If you try and understand this stuff you end up having to litigate every single thing that's out there and it strikes me that the Steve Bannon's of this world have been successful in their quest for breaking everyone's brain and leaving us all lost and mistrustful of everything. It's like everything is a personal rorschach test and we've all found a way of failing it. And there's no going back is there?
:(
Seems not
The whole dog whistle thing has gotten too complicated for me

To me they're a lot of people that were starved or poverty'd or industrial schooled or sexually shamed out of their own country and went to the US to do the best they could
Their descendants are taught to be proud they're Irish - just like the Italian kids and the Armenian kids and the Puerto Rican kids are told similar.
They come back to visit, to keep promises and they're told they ain't shit back in Ireland; whether that's just plastic paddy or violent racist or whatever cheap shot anyone feels like slinging.
No one is slow to slag off irish Americans when they get the chance. That's my whole point.
Bah
Now I feel bad.

What? That 'ok' hand gesture is a white power thing now?

:(
Seems not
The whole dog whistle thing has gotten too complicated for me

In 2017, the “okay” hand gesture acquired a new and different significance thanks to a hoax by members of the website 4chan to falsely promote the gesture as a hate symbol, claiming that the gesture represented the letters “wp,” for “white power.” The “okay” gesture hoax was merely the latest in a series of similar 4chan hoaxes using various innocuous symbols; in each case, the hoaxers hoped that the media and liberals would overreact by condemning a common image as white supremacist.

In the case of the “okay” gesture, the hoax was so successful the symbol became a popular trolling tactic on the part of right-leaning individuals, who would often post photos to social media of themselves posing while making the “okay” gesture.

One *kinda* positive here. TRumps pro-street military speech with added second amendment/call to arms bonuses didn't incite the supposed waiting army into doing anything. they mostly sat on thier holes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That is heartbreaking.

We haven't dealt properly with slavery, lynching, Jim Crow, redlining - you name it - or any of their effects.
To me the problem goes to the core - the policing problem is just a festering boil because of an internal illness.
Asking not to be killed in the street is just the most basic thing you can ask to claim your humanity, and we continually fail that most basic test.

That poor little girl.

We haven't dealt properly with slavery, lynching, Jim Crow, redlining - you name it - or any of their effects.
To me the problem goes to the core

That is probably not that far from a point I was trying to make a while back.

You could argue what the GOP have done is expose the reality of the situation. Unless you accept a problem exists, you don't fix it. The US might be getting close to the point where they realize that they have a problem, thanks to Trump.

If the US accepts this problem exists, then it can move to the next step of thinking about doing something about it. I don't think we are at that point yet though. I think things have to get even worse than this before the US accepts it has a problem.

What the current Trump admin has done is rip the bandaid off, laughed at the festering wound, poked around in there, told their buddies about how cool it is, and made sure that the rest of the world noticed. They've raised more awareness than any BLM marches. What Biden will do is smile and clap people's backs, tell people things they like to hear, try to ratchet everything back a couple of notches, and buoy up the stock market.

Despite coming back because they are in thrall to the country.
Despite Atlantic Philanthropies, the peace process or whatever other benefits have flowed back.
Any way about it; the love is pretty much a one-way street.

I don't like it, and I don't have to.
And none of you have to agree with me either. It's just a different perspective.

The English are actively trying to undo and renege on the peace process, are barreling us all toward fucking us over with a no-deal Brexit - Englishness is a literal and present threat to the island - and they come over to Dublin by the boatload to show their love on booze, piss and puke parties.
If you're Irish living in England, your English friends likely make Irish jokes about you behind your back if you're lucky, to your face if you're not.
Everyone agrees that it's okay to slag off the yanks. Yes.
The Americans love us, they just don't do it authentically enough for us, the English still just think we're a joke.
But if you say you have a problem with the tans, you're some unreconstructed knuckle-dragger.
I personally can't square that circle.
But I understand instinctively thinking an entire nation is a bunch of fucks.
I have lived and worked in London - a fabulous city - and I have lived and worked in the north of England. Nothing about Brexit has yet surprised me.

I have a busy day today and I really don't want to keep getting into this. I am not arguing. Just stating.
Again, it's just a perspective, and I know not a popular one. No one's gonna change anyone's mind.

Really gotta work.

I don’t really have too much of a problem with Irish-Americans that are only one or two generations old.

Its the cunts coming here claiming their great great great aunties dogs potato was Irish, ruin it for the rest of them

Like all immigrants in the USA, good luck to them. The Irish were probably one of the more racist immigrants though, at least obviously on the east coast in certain period.
And it kind of paved a certain path for a lot of new / younger / up and coming cops, Irish or not, to behave like scumbag cops.

mostly though, and I’m comfortable saying this;
Fuck the American government.
And fuck the British government.

there’s loads more I hate but we’ll stick to the English speaking ones for now.

American foreign policy is probably one of the more racist regimes out there. and their national policies are following suit.

Its the cunts coming here claiming their great great great aunties dogs potato was Irish, ruin it for the rest of them

The Irish were probably one of the more racist immigrants though, at least obviously on the east coast in certain period.
Yeah, that's the attitude I'm referring to alright

No one likes fat annoying thick American tourists.

We like the regular smart ones, thanks.
Like all tourists.
It’s just the american ones are particularly noticeable both visibly and audibly

The US might be getting close to the point where they realize that they have a problem, thanks to Trump.
I don't think you get it.
One half of the US has been saying there's a problem since the Civil War. Ask Emmett Till or Ruby Bridges.

Trumps' inaugural speech was 'American carnage'. He's not saying there's a problem as much as he's saying people of color and liberals are the problem, and he's the solution.

The problem Trump and the GOP thinks exist is that non-white people think they deserve the same rights as 'real America'.

He and Stephen Miller are baiting for a race war while they run the military.

You sure do say a lot of nice things about Trump and about voting for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back