US politics (3 Viewers)

I didn't vote for Biden
But the sooner the infighting stops, the better.
If we have a horse, we run with it.
I am sick of the moral superiority of the Bros online, it drives a lot of negativity in the party.
I don't love the party, but we need it to defeat Trump.

Every candidate has negatives. Neither Biden nor Bernie are exceptions to this.

What are Sanders‘s negatives?

What are Sanders‘s negatives?
Most of it around around electibility
Not a Democrat
Lack of connection with black voters
An idealogue that wants to take people's health care away and make you pay for everyone else's college
Marxist

These are what I hear from Democrat voters I speak to, but a lot of it is probably obvious

You could probably throw the heart attack in there, if everyone's on about Joe Biden's brain

It's all moot now anyways

Most of it around around electibility
Not a Democrat
Lack of connection with black voters
An idealogue that wants to take people's health care away and make you pay for everyone else's college
Marxist

These are what I hear from Democrat voters I speak to, but a lot of it is probably obvious

You could probably throw the heart attack in there, if everyone's on about Joe Biden's brain

It's all moot now anyways

Less connected with black and Latino voters than Biden, say?
The man marched and Protested against institutional rasicm from forever.
while Biden just goes around sniffing women’s hair.

and some elements of Marxism are needed by every country I’d imagine.

sometimes I forget a lot of Americans are soft in the mind.
How do you deal with them?
Is there a deeper level of thickness or is it just that there’s more of them / bigger population?

Less connected with black and Latino voters than Biden, say?
Very much so
Biden got 84% of the black vote in Mississippi
Black voters, particularly older ones that vote, love Biden
He took a job as a black guy's understudy and showed him all the respect he had coming.
It's hard for me to explain, but that's a huge deal.

sometimes I forget a lot of Americans are soft in the mind.
How do you deal with them?

Every country's got something.
Americans are also an endlessly positive and friendly people. I find a lot of openness and joy here.

By the looks of things Biden has won it; as many have pointed out he beat Sanders in states he wasn't even campaigning in, this is either proof of his strength or his weakness (no one votes for him the moment they actually see him talking).

It'll be interesting to see what he offers to all the younger voters who voted Sanders and are threatening to not vote for him. Not saying he can't beat Trump but all he is offering right now is a return to the conditions that lead to Trump, have utterly fucked the planet, and where the vast majority of those under about 40 don't see any future whatsoever.

There's a definite similarity to the UK election (also some massive differences but anyway) where the old just want to see through their dotage in peace, the young want change and the defining vote probably lies in the 40-55 year old centrist dads/PMC women who always vote, had a good enough job to see them through the recession, and don't have children old enough yet for them to realise how bad it is out there.

FT has a piece today about how Sanders has won the future of the democratic party regardless of what happens this year.

Last edited:
By the looks of things Biden has won it; as many have pointed out he beat Sanders in states he wasn't even campaigning in, this is either proof of his strength or his weakness (no one votes for him the moment they actually see him talking).

It'll be interesting to see what he offers to all the younger voters who voted Sanders and are threatening to not vote for him. Not saying he can't beat Trump but all he is offering right now is a return to the conditions that lead to Trump, have utterly fucked the planet, and where the vast majority of those under about 40 don't see any future whatsoever.

There's a definite similarity to the UK election (also some massive differences but anyway) where the old just want to see through their dotage in peace, the young want change and the defining vote probably lies in the 40-55 year old centrist dads/PMC women who always vote, had a good enough job to see them through the recession, and don't have children old enough yet for them to realise how bad it is out there.

FT has a piece today about how Sanders has won the future of the democratic party regardless of what happens this year.
Hard to disagree with any of that. Presume that article is behind a paywall?

You'd think the person whose entire political career is being vindicated right now would win the election but oh well. Technically Bernie could still take it, I believe Obama was behind a similar amount in 2008 at this stage, but meh.

Last edited:
Biden said if he gets the nomination his running mate would be a woman could that be the return of Hillary ?

Do you think they would dare? I can't see it happening myself but then they're running Joe Biden in 2020.

I feel like both of them would choose a woman of colour as their running mate, they're practically obliged to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back