US politics (3 Viewers)

On this day, let us take a moment to consider the real victims of repealing Roe Vs. Wade, the religious right

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That thread. America is so fucked.

Is Pelosi trying to provoke China into invading Taiwan so we can call them a bully and eradicate Taiwan with a never ending proxy war on another front or what?

I look forward to becoming a Taiwan expert anyway.

Oh hai.

Taiwanese seem fairly happyish with the status quo there. They won't declare themselves independent because it'd trigger an invasion, but the reality is that they're basically independent anyway so don't feel the need to. Polling for actual independence, as well as for (re)integration with Beijing both score very low.

No clue what Pelosi is playing at though, the beeb are saying that no one ranked as high as her from the US since Gingrich (also house speaker) has been there in 25 years. Not sure what the Chinese reaction to that at the time was.

White house are basically saying "we can't control her, she does what she wants," and the Chinese are saying as the third highest ranked person in the US government she should be on board with their foreign policy positions. I think both of them aren't exactly approaching their positions from a fully honest spot, I'd be more ready to believe the white house if she were from a different party to the administration.

IIRC the Americans are bound by law to defend Taiwan in the event that the Chinese invade.

It could be that everyone is posturing because the Chinese were warned off supporting Russia in Ukraine and want to do some dick waving.

Oh hai.

Taiwanese seem fairly happyish with the status quo there. They won't declare themselves independent because it'd trigger an invasion, but the reality is that they're basically independent anyway so don't feel the need to. Polling for actual independence, as well as for (re)integration with Beijing both score very low.

No clue what Pelosi is playing at though, the beeb are saying that no one ranked as high as her from the US since Gingrich (also house speaker) has been there in 25 years. Not sure what the Chinese reaction to that at the time was.

White house are basically saying "we can't control her, she does what she wants," and the Chinese are saying as the third highest ranked person in the US government she should be on board with their foreign policy positions. I think both of them aren't exactly approaching their positions from a fully honest spot, I'd be more ready to believe the white house if she were from a different party to the administration.

IIRC the Americans are bound by law to defend Taiwan in the event that the Chinese invade.

It could be that everyone is posturing because the Chinese were warned off supporting Russia in Ukraine and want to do some dick waving.
Lol at the idea of the US being "bound by law" to do anything except what they want, when they want, but right yeah, China does anything stupid and we get a full scale nuclear war, class.

Lol at the idea of the US being "bound by law" to do anything except what they want, when they want, but right yeah, China does anything stupid and we get a full scale nuclear war, class.

It'd be convenient for them if they're spoiling for a fight. I actually looked it up though (as opposed to pulling semi remembered information from my brain like I did at first) and I was wrong, the law in question says that they have to provide defensive weapons to Taiwan*, which they've been doing for years anyway, so your concern in the earlier post, another never ending proxy war, is a feasible result.

In all this, as with Russia and Ukraine there's a big lot of "look at what you made me do" in the language, to me anyway.

Edit: Deeper reading, prior to 1980, if the PRC invaded the US had to go in, that was superseded by the law which just talked about defensive weapons.

Oh hai.

This is on Pelosi - she's gone from her gig in November most likely, and this is likely some kind of curtain closer
She's been putting it up to the CCP at least since the massacre at Tiananmen. Like she visited there after all those students were murdered and unfurled some banner iirc.
And I know she passed something or other on the ethnic cleansing of the Uyghurs.

The White House supposedly didn't want the headache/ballache of any of this, but Pres. can't tell Congress what to do, and once word is out, you can't be seen to back off from Chinese aggression. Or so the thinking goes. Not that I accept anyone's bona fides on this, but that passes the sniff test.

Not sure there's any law as such on going to war over Taiwan, just that they sell them weapons and vague "assurances" on defence. Every area of the OneChina policy is grey and blobby. No one knows what anyone will do. It makes the NI protocol look like a nursery rhyme.

The CCP and Xi have an official (mid-century, I think?) time line on absorbing Taiwan, either by negotiation or force.
If you were a betting man, you'd have to fancy them getting that.
And their rreaction to Biden and Pelosi being from teh same party and not being in utter cahoots on this is basically "would ya ever fuck off like?"
They also - even more than the US - can't be seen to be backing off from provocation.

Taiwan is a de facto independent and democratic country, but almost no one will recognise it - not even us or Europe or the UN - it because the Chinese are such utter headers about the whole thing, to put it mildly.
Taiwan gotta be shitting themselves since Feb 24

ETA, I came back to fix typos and got tired

I don't know much about it, but it was on the radio a lot today, and I did a little Googling. Jones....well, what can you say?

Hopefully something will come up that the Jan 6th people can use.

A reminder of how bad this guy is

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back