US politics (5 Viewers)

I can handle gendered words to some extent, like in Spanish you can more or less tell from the ending, unlike German where it's all one big mystery.

English used to have genders like German even.

But this bollocks of constructing sentences, using the right one of the seven forms of the right gender, ON THE FLY while you're talking, and if you get it wrong it completely changes the meaning of the sentence can GTFO. There's no need for that.

And that's only the beginning. The more you look at Polish grammar they more frightening it all gets until you peer into it and recoil in the same way you enjoy the pain of pressing a blister on your tongue onto a tooth.

Hungarian is another lunatic one. I was in Hungary for a short while, I heard Hungarian spoken most days for a couple of years, and I might understand about 4 words, all of which escape me at the moment. Sometimes Hungarian can sound like Finnish, apparently they're related.

Finnish is clearly great though, and Finns are the funniest population on the planet.

RE: Polish grammar, I was once told how to say either "happy birthday" or "merry christmas" in Polish. wow. Kurva!
Sto_Lat.gif

I see. I've obviously hit on something here.

I love the Poles, they're great craic. There's loads of them here, and generally we understand each other, in a way that I and the English just don't.
RE: Polish grammar, I was once told how to say either "happy birthday" or "merry christmas" in Polish. wow. Kurva!

That's what I mean though. We all like to think "The Irish built America! Henry Ford! JFK!", blah blah blah. There was just as many Poles who built America, they're not represented nearly as much.

I often wonder to what extent the irish influence on the states comes from our early transition from organized crime to politics.
That and the fact in the timeline of migrations a shitload of irish had arrived by the mid 1800s, whereas other nationalities arrived later.
The fact that a lot of the polish immigrants to the states in the mid-late 1800s were Jewish may have a bearing (in terms of what subsequent generations identify as)

I often wonder to what extent the irish influence on the states comes from our early transition from organized crime to politics.
That and the fact in the timeline of migrations a shitload of irish had arrived by the mid 1800s, whereas other nationalities arrived later.
The fact that a lot of the polish immigrants to the states in the mid-late 1800s were Jewish may have a bearing (in terms of what subsequent generations identify as)

We used our whiteness and became the cops. Maybe we were better at English? 🤷‍♂️

This threw me a little when it appeared in my suggested videos. I subscribed to his channel a long time ago when I attempted (and failed) to learn the banjo.

It reflects a conversation on Thumped recently where someone suggested American country music is inherently racist., (something I still think is nonsense by the way). Someone else pointed out that many Americans don't make a distinction in genres and that country music is simply "music", which I feel is closer to the truth.

This surprises me because in my mind American folk music is traditionally left-leaning; think Pete Seger, Woodie Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Leadbelly, etc. So to hear this "right-wing" take on the Kyle Rittenhouse case was a bit of a shock, to be honest. Reading through the comments, all positive, they believe that justice was upheld and the people who died deserved what they got. Gun rights and the right to self-defence were upheld, never mind alternative narratives.

It's like a real-life Bob Roberts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This threw me a little when it appeared in my suggested videos. I subscribed to his channel a long time ago when I attempted (and failed) to learn the banjo.

It reflects a conversation on Thumped recently where someone suggested American country music is inherently racist., (something I still think is nonsense by the way). Someone else pointed out that many Americans don't make a distinction in genres and that country music is simply "music", which I feel is closer to the truth.

This surprises me because in my mind American folk music is traditionally left-leaning; think Pete Seger, Woodie Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Leadbelly, etc. So to hear this "right-wing" take on the Kyle Rittenhouse case was a bit of a shock, to be honest. Reading through the comments, all positive, they believe that justice was upheld and the people who died deserved what they got. Gun rights and the right to self-defence were upheld, never mind alternative narratives.

It's like a real-life Bob Roberts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'll take your word for it.
like watching a video of Queen playing Sun City, no way am I looking at that.

I watched half and then clicked through to see that he's clearing about 6 grand a month on patreon. I clicked out then because i didn't want to add any more watch data to the robots.
I wasn't sure about posting it at all because I don't want to drive up his clicks, but it seemed topical, and sure if we can't discuss this kind of thing here, then where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back