US politics (1 Viewer)

a0QX42O_460s.jpg

For years in the 80s pizzas to me meant those boxes of frozen mini pizzas that were always in my friend john’s house but never in ours. I think places like the bad ass cafe did pizzas and then pizzaland opened and THE REST IS HISTORY. Probably.
Pizzaland on O’Connell st - was that not there from the late 70s?

We need a "shit food from the past" thread

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

these were a particular favorite as a child.
I had them again in my early 20s and thought they tasted and smelt like cat food.
SIMPLER TIMES

these were a particular favorite as a child.
I had them again in my early 20s and thought they tasted and smelt like cat food.
SIMPLER TIMES

yes..that smell.. i just experienced it again at the very thought of it

Those pancakes were the cause of many a grill fire in my student days.
Meatballs were not allowed in my house. Though I remember the ad and it's amazing.

Just to get things slightly back on the topic of the US, I was once forced to watch this ad by an American client who basically didn't like me or the other Irish guy very much. My only response was "That's American shit. No wonder your kids are imagining magical wierdo's, when you feed them processed sugar for breakfast. marshmallow within marshmallow?"

I think I did eat lucky charms at some point as a child. I knew it was wrong even then. 'Merica

Those pancakes were the cause of many a grill fire in my student days.
Meatballs were not allowed in my house. Though I remember the ad and it's amazing.

Just to get things slightly back on the topic of the US, I was once forced to watch this ad by an American client who basically didn't like me or the other Irish guy very much. My only response was "That's American shit. No wonder your kids are imagining magical wierdo's, when you feed them processed sugar for breakfast. marshmallow within marshmallow?"

I think I did eat lucky charms at some point as a child. I knew it was wrong even then. 'Merica

that's right, I'd forgotten about that. A fair number of people in the US seemed to have defined Ireland, and the Irish, from this advert. Back when I first arrived over there'd be people launching into enthusiastic renditions, and I was drawing a blank because I'd no idea what they were on about. You'd recognise the weird accent imitation, know that it was related to Ireland, but then it was up to you to sit it out.

Groundskeeper Willy was another favourite. You'd tough that one out, mention he was Scottish, and brace yourself for more Lucky Charms. One of those jokes that didn't get funnier after enduring it for the 204th time.

I had a colleague in the US years ago who kept saying "criminey" to me because he thought it was a very Irish thing to say, and didn't believe me when I told him I had never heard it before in my life and he carried on using it. He used it as we might use begob and begorrah.

that's right, I'd forgotten about that. A fair number of people in the US seemed to have defined Ireland, and the Irish, from this advert. Back when I first arrived over there'd be people launching into enthusiastic renditions, and I was drawing a blank because I'd no idea what they were on about. You'd recognise the weird accent imitation, know that it was related to Ireland, but then it was up to you to sit it out.

Groundskeeper Willy was another favourite. You'd tough that one out, mention he was Scottish, and brace yourself for more Lucky Charms. One of those jokes that didn't get funnier after enduring it for the 204th time.

I had the impression from this guy that he didn't like American Irish people very much in general, and relished the chance to get one over on us unsuspecting Emerald Islanders. He was a very Polish and very American Polish American. Born in NYC, but could speak Polish before he learned English. I think his ilk might have a chip on their shoulder about Irish people being over represented in American life, whereas the Poles are not (besides that one guy Wachowski who's in every US cop show), or something.

DISCUSS.

Did you ever look at the state of Polish grammar?

Right off the bat there's seven cases in the Polish language, and three genders, meaning you could be looking at TWENTY ONE DIFFERENT WORDS for the word "the" for example. Nightmare.

He's probably got his nose out of joint having to learn all that, then to find out it's fuck all use unless he's in exactly one bleeding freezing Eastern European country.

I see. I've obviously hit on something here.

I love the Poles, they're great craic. There's loads of them here, and generally we understand each other, in a way that I and the English just don't.
RE: Polish grammar, I was once told how to say either "happy birthday" or "merry christmas" in Polish. wow. Kurva!

That's what I mean though. We all like to think "The Irish built America! Henry Ford! JFK!", blah blah blah. There was just as many Poles who built America, they're not represented nearly as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back