• Trump/Pence

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Monsoon/Heenan

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah I don’t see anything wrong with what trump said... liberals fetishising “war heroes” is way more repugnant
it's an arms race though (pun unintended!), isn't it?
the republicans/tories/whoever salivate over their war dead, and everyone else has to follow lest they be seen as unpatriotic/ungrateful. cf. the usual shitstorm over the wearing of the poppy.

anyway, it's possible to honour and respect the dead while being highly critical of the actions that led to them being sent off to die, but that's not a discourse that gets much airtime.
regarding america's relationship with its war dead, this is an interesting vignette. and a rather weird story. worth a listen.

on that topic too, it's services day today. apparently the air corps will be doing a low flyby over dublin and people are being encouraged to stand outside and applaud them as they fly past. i expect all dublin based thumpeders to do their civic duty.

This is a trick he does a lot. Someone is doing a story. They contact the White House to get a comment or interview. They get no reply. So if the story is unflattering Trump can say it's all made up anonymous sources & they never contaced him to get the facts.

"The president denounced the story as a “hoax” designed to damage his reelection chances. He complained the magazine never reached out to him for comment on its allegations, though The Atlantic wrote that the White House did not return multiple requests for comment until after publication. "

This is the bit that baffles me about this. Surely denigrating the military is pretty much the best way to piss off and alienate the traditional GOP case. And Trumps gun-toting white nationalist fanclub as well. There's nothing in it for him to do this surely? I suppose the obvious answer is he's just too dim to hide this stuff. Is that it?

We know he didn't have a series of mini strokes, because he ruled that out.

I dunno. It's pointless thinking about it. I shouldn't have been drawn by him saying stupid shit to a father standing at his son's grave I suppose.

It's not him that's the worry, as usual, it's the phalanxes of people who adore him.

Good man though. He's clarifying the situation. He has to be making it a tiny bit more difficult for on the fence GOPers to ignore reality, and those that are left are the true believers. He's clearing the ground between those types and the rest.

Maybe he'll drive up the poll numbers in general. Although that's always forecasted, and doesn't happen.

Another thing that seems to be surfacing with Biden is he's so clearly empty when it comes to understanding gender / race issues is that other people are stepping up to fill those voids. And I think Biden realises that the voids exist and should be dealt with. So... yeah. My best possible take; he might be savable, assuming lots of people sort his shit out for him.

on that topic too, it's services day today. apparently the air corps will be doing a low flyby over dublin and people are being encouraged to stand outside and applaud them as they fly past. i expect all dublin based thumpeders to do their civic duty.

in Ireland several things in this vein have materialised over the last decade.
particularly the now regular 1916 Easter commemoration on O'Connell Street
which has a lot of military involvement.
a real nadir was the huge army parade in 2016 which was in desperately poor taste.

also I know of no other country where the president comes on to the pitch before
every national team home match and gets a photo opportunity with both teams.
this was an occasional problem before but it's chronic now.

Ireland certainly isn't as bad as NATO countries at this but it's a trend that this
country is far from immune from.

Yeah in fairness it should be the Ra doing that one.

yeah, the 1916 commemoration stuff was just done to appease republican
bores who were tempted to defect to SF.

I would love to see someone from an immigrant background tell the Irish
media how redundant nationalism is.

in other news Ireland just lost to Finland.
Ah c'mon lads, the Finns never bet us before - FFS.
the lads, they just can't score - they can't hit a barn door.

maybe it's time to get back to Trump and Biden...

all i want is Prez Mike D to stay in the stands. just don't go on the pitch.

the team were really poor today and surprisingly gave away a lot of chances.
the finishing was weak as usual.

This is the bit that baffles me about this. Surely denigrating the military is pretty much the best way to piss off and alienate the traditional GOP case. And Trumps gun-toting white nationalist fanclub as well. There's nothing in it for him to do this surely? I suppose the obvious answer is he's just too dim to hide this stuff. Is that it?
Just on this, from what I can see the traditional GOP is gone. The dems in 2020 are closest to the traditional GOP in terms of 1) You must respect the troops, 2) We love capitalism, 3) we need a steady conservative candidate to win, nothing radical 4) the amount of republicans from the 90s and early 2000s coming out in favour of the Dems.

The 2020 GOP on the other hand is absolutely insane, e.g. getting QAnon senators in and supporting Trump no matter what he says. His voters are the rich who vote for no taxes, the comfortably well off (i.e. the weekend racist middle manager who votes on cultural issues), and the desperate who just want absolute destruction in a system that gives them nothing (and know that the Dems believe the system itself is fine). It's completely unstable and if Trump wins god knows what will happen.

lol Trump continues to break ranks with the elites

His hypocrisy is blatent but once again he's not wrong. Damn, maybe I shouldn't have guessed Biden was gonna win after all.

Does this mean Trump is technically more left wing than Biden now

I don't think he has any ideology, other than authoritarian leanings and intense cronyism/loyalty allied with vendettas for anyone who fails to fall into line and declare fealty.

The article @Lili Marlene put up there is interesting. He's sort of pushing back against the mil industry complex, which... yeah, that's something the likes of Biden/Clinton etc would never do in a million years.

I'd guess this is simply because he's got no specific relationships with chiefs in Lockheed / Palantir / etc etc, and or they haven't paid him off or complimented him. He's absolutely mercilessly self centered, if people don't come to him with money and compliments he has no interest in interacting with them. (Unless they are wealthy authoritarians.) Since he personally has nothing to gain from Lockheed flogging F35s to NATO, he has no interest in that happening.

In my mind left-wingism is aspirations of living in a society with a more evenly distributed wealth. Trump doesn't give the remotest of fucks about anything along those lines, or any other lines, as long as he has money. And bitches I guess. And people to bully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back