US Election 2016 (1 Viewer)

So, outside of my relatively sane echo chamber, are millions of Americans really still supporting him? It's hard to get the head around.

So, outside of my relatively sane echo chamber, are millions of Americans really still supporting him? It's hard to get the head around.

There's a lad in my trigeminal neuralgia circles whos completely pro trump and thinks obamacare is terrible. Like he literally has the same disease as me and is vocally opposed to universal health care. I'm pretty sure it might be the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed in my life.

I'm hazy on the details but isn't the issue with Obamacare that regardless of your salary and tax band, a large chunk of your wages goes into it? So some people on lower incomes are screwed? Here and in other countries we have different tax bands to ensure no one is literally impoverished by PRSI. Something like that anyway?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The thing is with trumps main policies. I think they are perfectly entitled to want to control their borders & immigration. We have no understanding about the scale of illegal immigration in the US and the problems it causes in their society. I tend to agree with him that its wrong for the massive american multinationals to get away with paying little or no tax & using cheap labour around the world. (Of course trump does the same thing himself)

I hate him more on a personal level. More for the arrogant, egotistical, obnoxious, bullying, spolit, privilaged rich kid, lying conman, bullshitter that he is.

But I've always been fascinated by horrible people.

Trump’s white support was not determined by income. According to Edison Research, Trump won whites making less than $50,000 by 20 points, whites making $50,000 to $99,999 by 28 points, and whites making $100,000 or more by 14 points. This shows that Trump assembled a broad white coalition that ran the gamut from Joe the Dishwasher to Joe the Plumber to Joe the Banker. So when white pundits cast the elevation of Trump as the handiwork of an inscrutable white working class, they are being too modest, declining to claim credit for their own economic class.
The focus on one subsector of Trump voters—the white working class—is puzzling, given the breadth of his white coalition. Indeed, there is a kind of theater at work in which Trump’s presidency is pawned off as a product of the white working class as opposed to a product of an entire whiteness that includes the very authors doing the pawning. The motive is clear: escapism. To accept that [whiteness] remains potent even now, some five decades after Martin Luther King Jr. was gunned down on a Memphis balcony—even after a black president; indeed, strengthened by the fact of that black president—is to accept that racism remains, as it has since 1776, at the heart of this country’s political life. The left would much rather have a discussion about class struggles, which might entice the white working masses, instead of about the racist struggles that those same masses have historically been the agents and beneficiaries of. Moreover, to accept that whiteness brought us Donald Trump is to accept whiteness as an existential danger to the country and the world. But if the broad and remarkable white support for Donald Trump can be reduced to the righteous anger of a noble class of smallville firefighters and evangelicals, mocked by Brooklyn hipsters and womanist professors into voting against their interests, then the threat of racism and whiteness can be dismissed. Consciences can be eased; no deeper existential reckoning is required.

The First White President

The thing is with trumps main policies. I think they are perfectly entitled to want to control their borders & immigration. We have no understanding about the scale of illegal immigration in the US and the problems it causes in their society. I tend to agree with him that its wrong for the massive american multinationals to get away with paying little or no tax & using cheap labour around the world. (Of course trump does the same thing himself)

I hate him more on a personal level. More for the arrogant, egotistical, obnoxious, bullying, spolit, privilaged rich kid, lying conman, bullshitter that he is.

But I've always been fascinated by horrible people.

Yeah but you fully expect the president of the US to be a douche its a given and actually one of the things that made him the perfect candidate. I certainly wouldn't ever expect any other scenario. But what is weird is that only now everything is supposed to going down the tube as if everything was perfectly fine before him. I honestly don't think it's even possible for him to be worse than previous administrations including the last one.

edit: for the impatient, watch the first 20 seconds then skip to 3:40

Donald Trump is a preposterous golem who is afraid of Mexicans. He is so afraid that he wants to build a twenty-billion dollar wall that everyone knows will accomplish nothing. So we’ve purchased a plot of vacant land on the border and retained a law firm specializing in eminent domain to make it as time-consuming and expensive as possible for the wall to get built.

On Day 1, all Cards Against Humanity Saves America recipients will get an illustrated map of the land, a certificate of our promise to fight the wall, some new cards, and a few other surprises.

Cards Against Humanity Saves America

WHAT ARE YOU SAVING AMERICA FROM?
Injustice, lies, racism, the whole enchilada.
YOU SAID YOU WEREN’T GOING TO DO ONE OF THESE COMPLICATED HOLIDAY PROMOTIONS AGAIN.
We’re liars, just like the president.
I DON’T LIKE THAT YOU’RE GETTING POLITICAL. WHY DON’T YOU JUST STICK TO CARD GAMES?
Why don’t you stick to seeing how many Hot Wheels cars you can fit up your asshole?

That's the way you drink.

(Did he forget that he didn't have a straw?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back