Upgrading... (1 Viewer)

Squiggle

Born-again non-smoker
Supporter
Website
www.myspace.com
My PC is getting a bit old and tired so I was thinking of upgrading it - more ram and larger hard drive at a minimum. I built my current pc about 10 years ago so then I was thinking of maybe totally rebuilding it, but it's been so long that I'm lost. Too many mainboard/processor options! Komplett.ie used to have recommended upgrade kits (mainboard, processor, RAM etc kits) that you could chose from but they don't seem to do that anymore.

Anywhere else I could go to for some advice and suggestions.

a guy i know uses marx computers to build the systems for his business, he says they're good guys.
you could always just go the easy route and buy a dell.

Thanks magicb. will try checking them out. Thanks dudley.

I did consider just buying a D... but every nerve rebels. Have been building my own pc since I was 17 (I still have the original floppy drive) and I just can't bear to think of throwing out the frankenstein result. One or two compenents at a time is as much as I can cope with :)

i don't think you'll really be able to upgrade a machine that is 10 years old though, you'll have to start from scratch, inc case etc. These days that works out so much pricier than a pre-assembled one. worth it for the nerdy pleasure in doing it though!

Thanks Diddles. Happy with the result?

dudley - I think the case might be younger... has a 750w power supply (it's a coolermaster LAN Fire). I performed a body transplant after the old power supply bit the dust sometime after that last serious upgrade.

But yeah, it's mostly the nerdy pleasure that does it for me.

I've had it almost three years now and it's still going great. I've built my own in he past, but when I went to do it the last time it was just too much of a pain to get the individual parts and was also working out too expensive.

Yeah, that's why I liked Komplett's upgrade kits, cheaper and easier than buying individual components (and you know it will work) - overclockers have similar, and they're put together and tested. Thanks again... definitely an option. I replaced my Graphics card only a couple of years back so it might be ok for another year or two (it still meets the minimum requirements of recent releases).

Can I be the guy that says "buy a mac"?

Seriously, if it's not horsepower you need, those 13" MacBook Airs are the bomb. Once you go mac, you'll never look back.

Can I be the guy that says "buy a mac"?

Seriously, if it's not horsepower you need, those 13" MacBook Airs are the bomb. Once you go mac, you'll never look back.

I have a Mac - ibook G4. No good for playing PC games, which is why I also have a PC.

I play the Portals on a Macbook Air & its grand. I don't get the whole Macs are shit for games thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back