Upcoming Gigs of Interest (2 Viewers)

The merch cut thing is a bullshit thing that loads of venues do now. On the other hand, because of Brexit, loads of venues now actually have to handle band merch that gets delivered in the days before a gig, so there is at least some justification for it now (this was happening before Brexit with some gigs, but nowadays it's pretty much every gig)

Edit: Actually when I think about it, if a band's merch gets delivered to the venue with nobody from the band there to look after it at time of delivery, then the venue really should take a cut of it, or just leave it outside on the street.

This is certainly being highlighted now but hasn't this always been happening. Not that that it makes it any better.

That delivery situation you explain must be a massive pain for venues. A disaster waiting to happen.

First time I was aware of it was about 1990 at a Lemonheads gig on London. They sold t-shirts from their van outside because the venue wanted a cut.

It's probably the best venue of it's size in Dublin and I think it suits rock/punk/metal gigs well. It's a bit uncomfortable when sold out though. Descendents was class last week, about 7 years ago Suicidal Tendencies there was amazzzzzin.
Olympia sucks for heavy gigs, cause there's hundreds of people upstairs that just have to sit there. Like for proper full on metal, for a bit more proggy stuff it's grand. It suits Gary Numan really well. Vicar Street is probably the best of the 3 for metal stuff, the Academy is only about half the size of that though.
Descendents and Suicidal Tendencies we’re both excellent there. And Dillinger Escape plan were amazing. Afghan Whigs were too. And Mastodon. And the Interrupters. In fairness, I’ve seen a lot more decent gigs than bad ones there. I actually like it as a venue. Even as a short arse I always have a pretty decent view of the stage from most parts of it.

The Academy 2 was shit though

I was only down there twice; once for a friend’s band and once for Uncle Acid. It is mindblowing how bad it is as a venue.
Uncle Acid was actually Green Room, it's the middle floor, Academy 2 is the one in the basement, it's shiiiiite. Green Room is pretty sucky but not as bad as basement, the Uncle Acid gig was actually good I thought.

I think the only academy 2 gig I was ever at was Murder by death. The layout reminded me of the tap, like it didn't seem that much bigger?

Uncle Acid was actually Green Room, it's the middle floor, Academy 2 is the one in the basement, it's shiiiiite. Green Room is pretty sucky but not as bad as basement, the Uncle Acid gig was actually good I thought.
This was 9 years ago, think they’ve played again more recently. It was the basement rooms with the support struts blocking almost every view of the stage.

Trying to see who else is playing. ( Still no idea) ticket says doors 6:30,grand social website says 7:00,with a poster attached saying 8:30 ?????????

Now I'm starting to wonder is the other information even right.

Trying to see who else is playing. ( Still no idea) ticket says doors 6:30,grand social website says 7:00,with a poster attached saying 8:30 ?????????

i was thinking of some other gig - this is where i got the info from anyway...

Only two local bands opening. Half eight seems right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back