Upcoming Gigs of Interest (2 Viewers)

Some interesting gig postings on my twitter feed this morning;

CAST greatest hits tour - Nov 24th in the Academy (FAO @Lili Marlene - we're going to this)
Boy Azooga - Grand Social, Oct 5th
Dawn Landes - Whelans, Oct 13th
Frankie Cosmos - Button Factory, August 23

and, if you're into that kinda thing

Bagatelle - Vicar st, Oct 5th

Doyle (The Misfits)
The Bowery, Rathmines 14th/7
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dweezil Zappa in Vicar St. August 1st

Dweezil Zappa - Vicar Street Live in Vicar Street, Dublin 8, Ireland on August 1st,2018

Used to go by the name of Zappa plays Zappa. Until the Zappa estate intervened. Nasty

In April 2016, Dweezil Zappa announced that he would be changing the name of the band to Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa, in response to a cease-and-desist order by the Zappa Family Trust, which represents Zappa's estate. Following the October 2015 death of Gail Zappa, control of the trust was taken over by his siblings Ahmet and Diva Zappa, with Ahmet handling day-to-day operations. The trust holds a trademark on the name "Zappa Plays Zappa", which Dweezil had already licensed from Gail for an "exorbitant" fee; despite this, the Trust ordered Dweezil to cease using the trademark. The Trust also argued that his shows were a "dramatic work", thus ineligible for the blanket compulsory license for live performance venues as specified in section 115 of United States copyright law, and requiring Dweezil to negotiate "grand rights" directly from the trust or be liable for copyright infringement. Ahmet argued that he was not trying to inhibit his ability to tour under his father's name, but wanted to ensure that Zappa Plays Zappa would be "in accordance with the family trust".

A lawyer representing the Trust later told Dweezil that "Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa" infringed on the Trust's trademarks for "Zappa" and "Frank Zappa".[12] In June 2016, Dweezil announced that he would hold a tour to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of Zappa's first album, Freak Out!. In reference to the dispute, it was titled 50 Years of Frank: Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F@%k He Wants – The Cease and Desist Tour.[14]

Shannon & the Clams are playing Whelans on 29th August. They might be fun. I used to listen to 1 of their albums (Dreams in the Rat House I think it might have been called) quite a bit, some really good tunes on it.

Did anyone happen to end up with a spare ticket for the Nick Cave thing in the Abbey Theatre? Tickets went on sale today and I completely forgot, I'm raging.

just got a €100 ticketmaster voucher for the ol' burday. I'd like to get 3 gigs out of that. Give me idea, so far I've only thought of The Breeders and Monster Magnet, I think MM is not ticketbastard though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back