Unreal live versions of songs you forgot you loved or whatever (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 368
  • Views 20K
  • Watchers 3
The band I played in in New York , Jones Crusher,were a kinda Screaming Lord Sutch garage punk knock off.

They're still going and all ,they played Mr Beerys in Long Island on Saturday Night. Great little room that I played it a bunch of times.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Full set [Apologies]

Where are they playing??? The size of this place. Are they as big as Oasis in Philadelphia or something? Heartening that a man* with this sort of sound can fill a place like that. It's like Radiohead at Glastonbury 97 ffs.

*band

Best yt comment:

"just gets better after 80 listens better than sonic youth top5 post-rock 90s bands{splinta 73}"

80 times better than Sonic Youth who fucking suck [for the most part, and mostly because of Thurston Moore].

Post-rock. Such a dirty word though. Just call it rock, dude.

I think of post-rock as rock that's minus blues or funk, but is ok with jazz.

Not gonna watch an hour long video of a band i never heard of, especially if they're promising post-rock.

I think of post-rock as rock that's minus blues or funk, but is ok with jazz.

Not gonna watch an hour long video of a band i never heard of, especially if they're promising post-rock.
THat's surprising- even I've heard of Polvo and I'm... well..me.

Thinking about it, it's probably a record label thing. You get really into one band on a label and start to pick up the other bands through osmosis and name recognition but Touch and Go records is a bit of a blind spot for me.

That and i'm fucking allergic to anything approaching math-rock.

Full set [Apologies]

Where are they playing??? The size of this place. Are they as big as Oasis in Philadelphia or something? Heartening that a man* with this sort of sound can fill a place like that. It's like Radiohead at Glastonbury 97 ffs.

*band

Best yt comment:

"just gets better after 80 listens better than sonic youth top5 post-rock 90s bands{splinta 73}"

80 times better than Sonic Youth who fucking suck [for the most part, and mostly because of Thurston Moore].

Post-rock. Such a dirty word though. Just call it rock, dude.

I'd have to guess they were supporting someone big in Philly?!
here's a list of gigs from the venue (Theatre of Living Arts) from that time:
that's all I can find ( I love being nosey)
I remember lazy comparisions with S.Y. when Polvo's first LP came out.
The post rock and math rock labels don't do them any favours, they're better than anyone else I've heard lumbered with those tags.
John Peel used to say in 1993 that Polvo reminded him of Beefheart (he was playing one track from Trout Mask Replica on every show at the time).

Thinking about it, it's probably a record label thing. You get really into one band on a label and start to pick up the other bands through osmosis and name recognition but Touch and Go records is a bit of a blind spot for me.

That and i'm fucking allergic to anything approaching math-rock.
But you have a big thing for... Dischord? Faraquet?

'Hissing Prigs in Static Couture' by Brainiac. Probably the best album ever released by Touch & Go. They have released some underwhelming acts though.

They're a little bit mathy... but it's a very boozed, jam-band type of math... like a reckless alcoholic maths teacher the school are desperate to get rid of, but he's just too good with the honours students.

When I think of math, I think of the precision of metalcore, or that very clean tap-heavy style of Minus the Bear. Or Don Caballero ... drums following guitars following drums - once again the tapping, and the octopedal drumming. And the tens of scions that follow in the Don Caballero mode.

But you have a big thing for... Dischord? Faraquet?
I mean, I listened to Faraquet and mostly disliked them because it was math-rock x10000 . Their one song that was better than their other songs was decent though. I like a few Dischord bands, not that many in fairness but i've given a lot of them a chance for whatever reason. Most of it a long, long time ago.

'Hissing Prigs in Static Couture' by Brainiac. Probably the best album ever released by Touch & Go. They have released some underwhelming acts though.
Alright, i'll give it a listen.

They're a little bit mathy... but it's a very boozed, jam-band type of math... like a reckless alcoholic maths teacher the school are desperate to get rid of, but he's just too good with the honours students.
Polvo? Sure I might like them. There's some weird post-punk and prog stuff from the 70s and early 80s that is pretty much indistinguishable from late 90s and early 2000s math rock. I'll give them a whirl at some point.
When I think of math, I think of the precision of metalcore, or that very clean tap-heavy style of Minus the Bear. Or Don Caballero ... drums following guitars following drums - once again the tapping, and the octopedal drumming. And the tens of scions that follow in the Don Caballero mode.

Yeah, i'd differentiate between post-rock and math rock, just wiki has math rock in the Polvo description and I figured I probably wasn't looking in their direction over the years for that reason.

Just checked, the last Dischord I listened to was Red Hare or Priests but the last Dischord I listened to a lot was Q and Not U way back in 2004.

Enough of this math rock nonsense

You must be out of your tiny minds!

Just checked, the last Dischord I listened to was Red Hare or Priests but the last Dischord I listened to a lot was Q and Not U way back in 2004.
Easily the best non-Fugazi band the label ever released.

Listened to the first one a shit-ton on cd, the last days of portable cd players, and still break it out. Second album is an absolute cracker too. Third one.... hmmm.

I'm still slightly sickened I may have missed Skinny Wolves or whoever putting them on back in the day [Maybe they cancelled though].

When the song breaks down, and the clapping comes in - gets me every time.

And the bang off these guitars here:

I never understood why everyone turned against them on their third album... I suppose it all sounded a bit too like what was going on the UK or something? Faint embarrassment that a band from the holy land could like something that the NME was promoting?

I liked their debut but it was a bit Dischord by numbers, albeit very good by numbers, their second and third did it for me.

edit: listening to the debut again now, it's not quite by numbers but it feels like a gradual step building on what came before while the second album felt like a real change, a real step forward, not an incremental thing.

Last edited:
Here, get this thread back on track, Prince doing Raspberry Beret on a soundcheck in 1982, teaching it to his band and basically inventing what the War on Drugs have turned into a career

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back