Unpopular Opinions (4 Viewers)

Eek I hope I haven't hurt your feelings, I just think it's funny the way people can build stories on top of stories on top of stories

@Deadmanposting I'd say your acquaintance's interpretation is v likely wildly wrong. I don't know any creative people who'd be that literal with stuff they produce

Eek I hope I haven't hurt your feelings, I just think it's funny the way people can build stories on top of stories on top of stories
I don't think i'm correct and others are wrong, but this is what I took from it. If someone else wants to say,
for example, that it's about the repercussions of two middle-aged men not being able to express their feelings and I recommend therapy, as i've read elsewhere,
that's fine too but there's little space in that reading for anything i'm interested in.

@Deadmanposting I'd say your acquaintance's interpretation is v likely wildly wrong. I don't know any creative people who'd be that literal with stuff they produce
Not really presenting it as a solution, as I don't think there is one

Just how once something is out there, it's interpreted a million different ways
You haven't hurt my feelings either :-D

I'd assumed it was a long form advert from the Woke Vegan Lobby.

Had Jenny simply stuck to a plant based diet, none of this nonsense would have kicked off.

I don't think it has a single thing to do the with the war. The war is not much more than the thunder or whatever that movies do for pathetic fallacy - like the coen brothers and their bloody clouds. Trying to mechanically fit the script over the war is a waste of time IMHO. It's about a man and another man and a young man and a woman who while they had some kinship and share a tiny claustrophobic island space have very different ideas about how to spend their life and end up on very disporate paths because of these philosophical outlooks on life. Hilarity ensues. I demand anyone who thinks the war is anything more than a thunderclap watch it again as a human story.

I mean, all of this is coming from our own anxiety that the yanks seem to like it and he's followed around by a mini donkey and they probably think it's realism.

I haven't seen it. It isn't on in any of my local cinemae. I've decided that's a word.

It sounds like typical McDonough to me. I've seen most of the movies and I think all of the plays, they're all much the same. Tarantino in Hiberno-English, a few laughs, dark cleverish twists. I don't even mind the spoilers that much because it's all been exactly what I'd expect.

It's gotten a lot of traction on these pages anyway, I suppose I'll have to check it out.

I haven't seen it. It isn't on in any of my local cinemae. I've decided that's a word.

It sounds like typical McDonough to me. I've seen most of the movies and I think all of the plays, they're all much the same. Tarantino in Hiberno-English, a few laughs, dark cleverish twists. I don't even mind the spoilers that much because it's all been exactly what I'd expect.

It's gotten a lot of traction on these pages anyway, I suppose I'll have to check it out.
the entire plot is essentially in the trailer anyways. It's just a nice well acted watch

I've never seen any of his plays but a friend of mine has and she says this film is cannibalized from a bunch of them and that was her main complaint about it.

I probably need to watch it again, but for me it was "about" Ireland's relationship to its artists.

The artists hack pieces off themselves to create their beautiful art and then hurl it back at the rest of Ireland, who respond in a pretty shocked way, why are they saying this about us? We used to be mates.

The artist gets all sorts of plaudits from people abroad, who want to study with and learn from the artist, but for all that it does nothing for those back home who are busy killing themselves, leaving in disgust, and, when they can't get the artist to be nice, burning down the artist's house/reputation in petty revenge. It's a pretty negative view of the whole thing, but i'm fairly negative about Ireland so, yeah.

I suppose i'm deliberately leaving a lot of space for interpretation (what's with the old woman? or the donkey? etc.) because I really don't enjoy allegorical interpretations of stuff where x is a direct stand-in for y, I like a good messy metaphor.

and they move to London in the final scene?

I don't think it has a single thing to do the with the war. The war is not much more than the thunder or whatever that movies do for pathetic fallacy - like the coen brothers and their bloody clouds. Trying to mechanically fit the script over the war is a waste of time IMHO. It's about a man and another man and a young man and a woman who while they had some kinship and share a tiny claustrophobic island space have very different ideas about how to spend their life and end up on very disporate paths because of these philosophical outlooks on life. Hilarity ensues. I demand anyone who thinks the war is anything more than a thunderclap watch it again as a human story.

This is how I actually watched it. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy discussing all the allegories and whether he meant any of them is beside the point imo.. It's an enjoyable discussion with no major consequences for anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back