Unpopular Opinions (4 Viewers)

Doing pretty well on your opinion being unpopular, fair play!!

I kinda think along the lines of how hard it actually is to write something that is rediculously simple and good at the same time. He did that consistently. A million people have used those chords and melodic tropes to no effect.

Gonna dig eeper here;
His voice had a lovely timbre but even his vocal melodies were piss weak

for the sake of comparison, give me an example of someone with strong vocal melodies?

Lenny can be marmite. But the man could write a song. right up to the end..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When I was a kid myself and my mate used to put his dads leonard cohen LPs on the 45rpm for the craic.

for the sake of comparison, give me an example of someone with strong vocal melodies?

Lenny can be marmite. But the man could write a song. right up to the end..

When I was a kid myself and my mate used to put his dads leonard cohen LPs on the 45rpm for the craic.

Any of his contemporaries. Tom waits for example.

I find Cohen just ramble-y and has an occasional boring tonal shif. it's lazy, it Totally leans on his rich voice.

The actual tunes are dull and go nowhere. the music is whatever the producer of the time seems to think will work. Mostly it's bearable but beige bland and just a backdrop to his voice.

It's a one trick pony; A very well versed pony with a sexy voice but in a field of shite

I find Cohen just ramble-y and has an occasional boring tonal shif. it's lazy, it Totally leans on his rich voice.

The actual tunes are dull and go nowhere. the music is whatever the producer of the time seems to think will work. Mostly it's bearable but beige bland and just a backdrop to his voice.

It's a one trick pony; A very well versed pony with a sexy voice but in a field of shite

hmm - whatever floats (or doesn't float) your boat.
For me with Cohen there was a point where it 'clicked', there

for me it's the other way round. cohen had genuine insight, genius and poetry in his work. waits is a hack and a fraud. sozzles

for me it's the other way round. cohen had genuine insight, genius and poetry in his work. waits is a hack and a fraud. sozzles

I'm comparing music, not lyrical content.
Cohen wrote some beautiful words and I'm not knocking his talent in that department.
Musically Tom waits wipes the floor with cohen

IMO Cohen's arrangements are terrible once you get past the early stuff, but the songwriting is brilliant. Tom Waits is kinda the opposite - as his arrangements got more interesting the song themselves got more simplistic

I love both of them though fwiw

i think leanard cohen is way overrated. i like some of the earlier stuff like the partisan, etc - basically stuff from songs of leonard cohen album. but anything after that just sounds really sleazy to me; reminds me of serge gainsburg (i hate serge gainsburg). that song "i'm your man", meh

IMO Cohen's arrangements are terrible once you get past the early stuff, but the songwriting is brilliant. Tom Waits is kinda the opposite - as his arrangements got more interesting the song themselves got more simplistic

I love both of them though fwiw

not sure if this counts as 'early' (probably) - but I always thought this was a good balance of somewhat more interesting arrangements, and really strong songs. He does more than mumble on these ones @ernesto . I still find the album he did with Phil Spector almost unlistenable

I've always really enjoyed Cohen songs when *other* people do them
i just listened to the jennifer warnes version of 'famous blue raincoat' for the first time in over 20 years. real downbeat 80s cop show vibe to the opening. the rest of the music is a little bland.

Example of a brilliant Cohen song where the arrangement sounds like it was programmed into a cheap casio keyboard

(FWIW for me everything before the Phil Spector one counts as "early")

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back