Unpopular Opinions (3 Viewers)

i don't think empathy (which i take to mean compassion) can ever be overrated. however, the comment sounds like two people in messed up situations enabling each others bad habits. maybe i read that wrong

i don't think empathy (which i take to mean compassion) can ever be overrated. however, the comment sounds like two people in messed up situations enabling each others bad habits. maybe i read that wrong
Yeah, pretty much.

Just saying "oh that's terrible, let's rant" instead of saying "listen, you're my friend, I've known you a long time. You're being stupid. AGAIN" is not helpful. It just drags down everyone around them.

Yes, you've got to let people figure it out for themselves and not brow-beat them. I think compassion is different.

They are different, hence having different words.

Empathy on it's own isn't essentially a postive or negative. I can feel your boredom at me responding to this topic in this thread again, that doesn't essentially mean it's of value to you that i feel that.
Being naturally empathic which everyone is in some way, but it being a bit part of your person means more shit for you to carry because people wont shut the fuck up.

I can result in a pity party and an endless decent into a wormhole. You see people talking shit about microagressions or violence online in contexts that contain no agression or violence but there are twenty serial empaths there to bolster them and off into a wormhole they skip.

Likewise your covid dad facebook friend doesn't like missing golf because some people are in ICU, and people can empathtihithse with that and all of a sudden you have an anti vax knitting circle,

I live right beside the green line but it takes me 2 hours to get to work when the drive takes me 35-40 minutes. Cycling is 90 minutes (but couldn’t do it often or in this kind of weather).

I've seen MUCH worse public transport systems but I'll also go way out of my way to avoid getting on a busy Dublin bus if there's at all any another method of transport available.

rush hour traffic seems if anything, possibly worse than pre-covid, from what we can see passing our house. lots of people avoiding the bus and driving instead must be a factor.

I've seen MUCH worse public transport systems but I'll also go way out of my way to avoid getting on a busy Dublin bus if there's at all any another method of transport available.
any OTHER, or ANOTHER, not both.

get it together Lili.

It's mid term in Galway and there is no traffic worth talking about. Nobody dares say that a few school buses would sort the place out because it detracts from the bypass lynch mob

While I suppose it’s nice to hear there’s worse out there, it doesn’t really get around the fact that shit public transport affects the worst off in society the most.

Having to leave your house hours early and get home hours late if you work, while trying to look after a family or maintain any kind of work/life balance is hellish. Getting into the city centre is one thing but moving around the periphery of Dublin is impossible. Getting to the airport or the major train stations is challenging, major institutions like any university that isn’t TCD (including hospitals, Beaumont is essentially on another planet for me), or an affordable supermarket can be huge hassle (I can shop locally but trying to feed a family out of the local convenience store is not sustainable).

If you have a disability that affects your movement or a buggy, then you’re doubly fucked. Even getting a taxi that can take a wheelchair can take 5-6 times longer than a regular one based on the FreeNow predicted times. Then I start to think about moving around Ireland as opposed to moving around Dublin and my head melts.

even getting into the city centre can be a ballache - my sister used to spend 3+ hours a day on a bus (getting from ongar to the city centre and back) years ago.
after her employer fucked her over in a way that was comical, she ended up getting a job 5 minutes walk from her house. she almost didn't know what to do with the spare time.

Public transport transit times have an awful lot of randomness involved. When I used to work in the city centre I could get from my house to Charlemont St (beside Ranelagh bridge) in around an hour (by bus/dublin bike). I live in rural Co. Meath, and it's a distance of >60km. Took some of my workmates who lived in Dublin longer to get in than me

Last edited:
While I suppose it’s nice to hear there’s worse out there, it doesn’t really get around the fact that shit public transport affects the worst off in society the most.

Having to leave your house hours early and get home hours late if you work, while trying to look after a family or maintain any kind of work/life balance is hellish. Getting into the city centre is one thing but moving around the periphery of Dublin is impossible. Getting to the airport or the major train stations is challenging, major institutions like any university that isn’t TCD (including hospitals, Beaumont is essentially on another planet for me), or an affordable supermarket can be huge hassle (I can shop locally but trying to feed a family out of the local convenience store is not sustainable).

If you have a disability that affects your movement or a buggy, then you’re doubly fucked. Even getting a taxi that can take a wheelchair can take 5-6 times longer than a regular one based on the FreeNow predicted times. Then I start to think about moving around Ireland as opposed to moving around Dublin and my head melts.
My opinion is that public transport in Ireland should be like sewage pipes: not there to make a profit, there to work with as few problems as possible and free for all paid for by tax (maybe a nominal fee, MAYBE) and also plentiful.

Moving out to the sticks I dramatically cut myself off from public transport to the point of having to get a car, I accept this as reality right now, but I also know that it need not be the case in a better world. I believe better things are possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back