Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

The parents came over recently, with steak, rashers and white pudding. No one here knows what white pudding is. Nor do I actually, come to think of it. I don't think I want to know.

The thing is, while the rashers they've brought are from well reared pigeens from well run farms, and is certainly a superior quality of meat, it's just too much for me. Maybe I've been conditioned to believe that "bacon", as they call it here, should be smoked, thin and fatty af.
We are all killing ourselves with pork

But what a way to go...

All of that sounds disgusting.
I’m not vegetarian but I might as well be because most if it churns my stomach.

Yeah, I know. The carnivorousness of the parents does take me and my siblings aback a bit, seeing as we're all in various parts of the world and seen other things. And they grew up hungry, so they overfeed us. When I go home it's like "Yes I can eat a full Irish, and then have a steak for dinner every night, but should I? I'll get gout". "OK so, I'll get a rotisserie chicken from Supervalu instead. And another one for the rest of us".

I've gained a whole new appreciation for those late 90's & early 2000's US pop punk bands.
Most of them have at least 1 good song. Usually a few good tunes.
I have to say I love Blink 182’s self titled album. It’s their “mature” one. Loads of great tunes and Travis Barker’s drumming is absolutely amazing. Everything else by them is grand but I love that album.

The parents came over recently, with steak, rashers and white pudding. No one here knows what white pudding is. Nor do I actually, come to think of it. I don't think I want to know.

The thing is, while the rashers they've brought are from well reared pigeens from well run farms, and is certainly a superior quality of meat, it's just too much for me. Maybe I've been conditioned to believe that "bacon", as they call it here, should be smoked, thin and fatty af.
Rudds do a deadly white puddin. I'd ate a whole one between two slices of toast smothered with red sauce

Have to admit that it's much harder to be a veggie in Ireland than the US.

Weirdly enough, given that you'd think Yanks are all about their meat. In the States I'd sort of just ended up being more or less veggie without specifically meaning to. My diet just drifted that way. That would be a hard thing to do here I feel.

There's just an enormous amount of meat in this country, and it seems extremely cheap too. I dunno, it might be because I'm living off in the country too.

Arguably vegetarians should black and white pudding with the blood in it.
It's mostly vegetarian already and the animal part would otherwise be thrown away.
You aren't gonna catch fire.

It's mostly vegetarian already and the animal part would otherwise be thrown away.

"Arguably vegetarians should eat animal products" is a pretty hot take

You could say that about most animal products. If the animal part wasn't there it would be vegetarian. Kinda pointless comment really. If the animal wasn't killed for human consumption there wouldn't be any blood left over to be thrown away.

Have to admit that it's much harder to be a veggie in Ireland than the US.

Weirdly enough, given that you'd think Yanks are all about their meat. In the States I'd sort of just ended up being more or less veggie without specifically meaning to. My diet just drifted that way. That would be a hard thing to do here I feel.

There's just an enormous amount of meat in this country, and it seems extremely cheap too. I dunno, it might be because I'm living off in the country too.
Yeah
They have lots of cuisines in the US as just part of the landscape

You could be eating Mexican or Asian or even Italian and not even know you're eating veggie

Yeah
They have lots of cuisines in the US as just part of the landscape

You could be eating Mexican or Asian or even Italian and not even know you're eating veggie
Even in the shops here.
Like more than a third of the supermarket is dedicated to meat. When I came back I was blown away just by the amount of space dedicated.

Alternatively, in the US I remember being surprised by the amount of space dedicated to crisps etc. lol.

Even in the shops here.
Like more than a third of the supermarket is dedicated to meat. When I came back I was blown away just by the amount of space dedicated.

Alternatively, in the US I remember being surprised by the amount of space dedicated to crisps etc. lol.

Yeah, they got aisles after aisles of snacks.

You could say that about most animal products. If the animal part wasn't there it would be vegetarian. Kinda pointless comment really. If the animal wasn't killed for human consumption there wouldn't be any blood left over to be thrown away.

Vegans are strictly not into animal stuff right? vegetarians have varying lines they will self establish which may include eggs and dairy and whatever the fuck is in gummy bears etc etc etc. It's the one niche part of the animal where it pretty much is going to landfill or getting fed to the chickens otherwise.

I was gonna say eggs don't involve dead chickens, but there is wholesale slaughter of baby male chicks cos they're basically useless for eggs or anything else

Live baby animals sent down into a shredder by the millions

in fairness, horsing them all into a shredder is much easier than trying to snipe them off floating in a lake somewhere.

Here, speaking of grossly unethical shit. I was off fishing in the kayak, because there were some mackerel around and I love mackerel.

So I was fishing away, like a prick, and there were little pollock all over the place, and I'd be releasing them because they were too small anyway.
I'd noticed a seal keeping a very close eye on me, and I was thinking, aww, seal. Cute.

Then I realised, every time I was releasing an undersized pollock back, the seal would vanish, and pop back up a minute later to resume watching. I began to understand that the small pollock might not have had a great day, even after I'd set them free.

On the plus side, we had mackerel for lunch.

I was gonna say eggs don't involve dead chickens, but there is wholesale slaughter of baby male chicks cos they're basically useless for eggs or anything else

Live baby animals sent down into a shredder by the millions

Soy milk involved the murder and possible extinction of a load of stuff which about 15% of which is dairy alternatives. Then someone posts the palm oil infographics.... Like i'm not saying it's fucking class that there is leftover pig that died for someone's hangover which is a huge slice of that market in ireland that you can either throw away or eat, but vegetarians are a diet minority so the byproducts are gonna be about for another few years. If we got to a good place with smallholder vegetable farming in ireland direct to the local market, a pig is actually a kinda biodiverse place to store all those leftover veg cuttings that dont make the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back