Unpopular Opinions (3 Viewers)

To der hornenthread

Spalko2.jpg
Sexy Commie, ackchewly

I think a lot of people are not very good at dealing with people who've died. I think some people use it, maybe unintentionally, for sympathy, attention, social media reactions. But you know, we're all of us not getting younger, this is what happens, find a way to deal with it. You might be able to help the next person.

I'm saying this on the back of someone offloading on me about a mutual friend OD-ing. Second kiddo this year. The first death shook the heck out of all the party kids, now they have another and they're a bit lost.

But my opinion seems to make people think I am aloof and unsympathetic. I don't think I am.

*and yes, I realise the contradiction of posting this here. Someone unloaded on me, now I'm unloading on you. But as the counsellor I was drinking with last night said "chatting is counselling".

I guess the death thing is sad when it's suicide. I've had friends, family, and a partner who offed themselves. That's always felt deeply sad. The tendency for me (presumably implying a God complex) is to think I should have noticed, I should have done more. I replay the last conversation, last email, last texts etc.

But when it's just... I suppose a regular death, then I'd generally not be that upset myself, although I'd feel bad for the people who I knew they were close to, kids in particular.

I guess the death thing is sad when it's suicide. I've had friends, family, and a partner who offed themselves. That's always felt deeply sad. The tendency for me (presumably implying a God complex) is to think I should have noticed, I should have done more. I replay the last conversation, last email, last texts etc.

But when it's just... I suppose a regular death, then I'd generally not be that upset myself, although I'd feel bad for the people who I knew they were close to, kids in particular.

You've touched on a couple of things there, that I could have elucidated on better.

I called our mutual friends "party kids". Well, this is what happens. And they all know it's not really a party, many "are you ok mate, lets have a chat " candidates in that bunch. And they're not all kids, 20-60 years old. Old and experienced enough to know better. It's not a god complex, I think if this is the life they choose to live, or find themselves in, then they should look out for each other better. They are experts at this stuff. The wake for the first guy was like a rave. I felt a bit sick.

You and I, that don't live this squatter heroin or-whatever-is-going lifestyle don't have the inside knowledge.

But even a regular death, such as the ex-wifes grandmothers' death, at the age of 98 or something. I think we can agree that's a good run. She lost her shit. We nearly got kicked off the train home. She felt justified for being shitfaced BECAUSE!!

I think a lot of people are not very good at dealing with people who've died ... but you know, we're all of us not getting younger, this is what happens, find a way to deal with it.
Is it something you get good at? Or even want to get good at? The death of someone close to you is supposed to shake you up, surely?

Is it something you get good at? Or even want to get good at? The death of someone close to you is supposed to shake you up, surely?
True, but I think there's a bit of narcissism involved. Everyone look at *ME*, *I* feel terrible. Yeah, we all do.

Maybe I just don't understand social media or young-ish people. And I guess I only notice the ones that are making the most noise, there probably are plenty of people being helpful without shouting about it.

True, but I think there's a bit of narcissism involved. Everyone look at *ME*, *I* feel terrible. Yeah, we all do.

Maybe I just don't understand social media or young-ish people. And I guess I only notice the ones that are making the most noise, there probably are plenty of people being helpful without shouting about it.
Yeah, for real. The younger ones process things online - it's how they validate their experiences
It can look way weird from the outside.

This sounds like a doomed group, trapped in addiction.
Just awful, man. I'm sorry.

the crocodile hunter guy, whatever his name was: cunt. you read reddit these days and they idolise him. seriously annoying character. probably not that unpopular an opinion around here though amirite?

I know exactly what you're saying, I feel the same as you about it, it's weird watching what almost looks like a competition on social media to be the most upset

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back