Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

chris d

Supporter
That fancy coffee lad on twitter sure likes telling us how sound he is.

IM SURE HE'S SOUND THOUGH.

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
Is he famous? How? I don't understand Twitter at all

His advertising budget is basically him taking time from his other work on the job to tweet, (someone else in work does the insta) so he tweets a lot about his coffee/trying to sell it/about where the money goes.

The coffee isn't cheap, I happen to think that it's very good, but part of the appeal to me at least is that my money is going to things that I notionally approve of instead of just the bank account of the person who owns the business.

Last edited:

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
His advertising budget is basically him taking time from his other work on the job to tweet, (someone else in work does the insta) so he tweets a lot about his coffee/trying to sell it/about where the money goes.

The coffee isn't cheap, I happen to think that it's very good, but part of the appeal to me at least is that my money is going to things that I notionally approve of instead of just the bank account of the person who owns the business.
he's very fair to the coffee producers, often taking no profit on what he sells, and 2% of all takings go to Womens Aid. He's also very passionate about what he does and what he sells. It's infectious.

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
he's very fair to the coffee producers, often taking no profit on what he sells, and 2% of all takings go to Womens Aid. He's also very passionate about what he does and what he sells. It's infectious.

There's also 2% that goes to projects in the producer areas. They've funded a couple of foot bridges in Colombia. 1% also goes as a revenue share to the employees. He says that in the last year 16% of what would have been their profits otherwise was distributed in that manner.

During repeal I asked him if he'd contribute some beans for a coffee morning my local group were doing to raise a bit of cash. I was expected a 250g bag or something if he said yes. He gave me kilos of the stuff, too much in fact.

As it happens I want to start a little side business this year and I've decided to follow what he does and ringfence a percentage of anything that comes in for charitable contributions. I reckon it won't hurt so much if I do it from the beginning, and as it wouldn't be my main source of income I wouldn't miss it. There's social value in businesses genuinely not being cunts and letting people know they aren't even if it just encourages others not to be.

I hope he doesn't get milkshake ducked.

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
i think his main problem is that if he wants to grow the business further, he needs to look past twitter; that helped get him to where it is now, but i suspect most of the gains to be made there have been made. he's gotten some positive press recently too, but i don't know if he's seen any effect from that on sales.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
I'm very wary of Twitter people and their online business ideas. The partner of someone I know secretly mortgaged their home to fund some mad idea that failed. They lost their house over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

21 Day Calendar

Lightning Bolt
Whelans
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland
UK Subs + The Outcasts + The Lee Harveys
Grand Social
35 Liffey St. Lower, North City, Dublin, D01 C3N0, Ireland
Flogging Molly + Paranoid Visions
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Minami Deutsch - Whelans August 20
Whelans, Wexford Street
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin, D02 H527, Ireland
We Come In Pieces at Fibbers with SUpport from The Nilz plus more
Fibbers
80/81 Parnell St, Rotunda, Dublin 1, D01 CK74, Ireland
Panikatax, Chimers (Australia), Fierce Shook, Carpark Sci-fi
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Trouble Pilgrims + Thrash Blues play the Alternative Sunday Social Club in The Wild Duck
The Wild Duck
17/20 Sycamore St, Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads