Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

seanc

There's nothing, as such, wrong with miming on stage. It depends on whether you're doing a "gig" or a "performance" I guess.

I mean, Dragonforce perform to a backing track. Because to be fair to them, it'd ruin the illusion to the ticket buying public if they made a mistake playing live. And of course they would make mistakes if they played live, because y'know, it's really difficult to play Dragonforce songs.
They do play on stage apparently, but what you hear is playback.

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I saw Nicki Minaj in the point once, and there was a pre-recorded version of the lead vocal that'd play whenever she wasn't singing/rapping and that'd be ducked whenever she was. I didn't mind, I was there to party (and party I did, I think it might actually have been the most fun night out I ever had in my life)

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I always enjoy seeing how a band pulls off live what they have cooked up in the studio; I much prefer it to sound way different live than to just be a million plugins and pre recorded backing vocals on tape making it sound pristine.

Obviously, not every artist is a band though and their performance might be more about spectacle.

With the advent of poptimism as the default approach to music for the younger folk, I'd say preferring "live" vs pre-recorded is actually a relatively niche position these days.

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I've talked before on here about seeing Janelle Monae a bunch of times circa her debut, the first time she had a small band, the second time it was expanded to include a full horn section, and the next time there was also a string section. It sounded precisely the same every time, which kinda wrecked it for me.

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
i'd say depending on the audience, there are acts which probably get flak for not playing what would be the studio versions too. janelle monae wouldn't strike me as an artist who would have that problem though.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
i'd say depending on the audience, there are acts which probably get flak for not playing what would be the studio versions too. janelle monae wouldn't strike me as an artist who would have that problem though.
Yeah, can you imagine the Rolling Stones playing Satisfaction on a synth and getting away with it?

ernesto

Stank you very much
Supporter
Solutions
Website
strikeaction.bandcamp.com
This is what Whigfield did a few years when I saw her. and alot of pop singers do that live with backing tracks; Just sing along to the original and only do the easiest harmony bit live
I saw Nicki Minaj in the point once, and there was a pre-recorded version of the lead vocal that'd play whenever she wasn't singing/rapping and that'd be ducked whenever she was. I didn't mind, I was there to party (and party I did, I think it might actually have been the most fun night out I ever had in my life)

Cormcolash

Website
geocities.com
I've talked before on here about seeing Janelle Monae a bunch of times circa her debut, the first time she had a small band, the second time it was expanded to include a full horn section, and the next time there was also a string section. It sounded precisely the same every time, which kinda wrecked it for me.
That Prince cover she did was good though

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Hopefully not! We’ve been through it before but The Residents have done the definitive cover of Satisfaction. I said it and everyone backed me up. Everyone. Not one dissenter. And no one is going to contradict me right now. No one.

Splunk

Users who are viewing this thread

21 Day Calendar

Behemoth, Arch Enemy, Carcass
Olympia Theatre
72 Dame St, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 K135, Ireland
Brigid Mae Power & Band @ Bello Bar, Dublin
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Anvil
The Grand Social
35 Liffey St. Lower, North City, Dublin, D01 C3N0, Ireland
Destroyer
The Button Factory
Curved St, Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads