Unpopular Opinions (3 Viewers)

my brother in law and his partner are thinking of buying a house in spain, possibly portugal. i think it's a lunatic idea, but am keeping my mouth shut there.

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but @ann post 's post above there reminded me of this.

I'm fine with ostracizing people within my own family, including close family, like siblings or parents. I simply cut off any meaningful interaction with my mother when I was young, including later when she got sick.

More recently I cut off any interaction at all with my brother, to the extent that most of the people I know are surprised to learn I even have a brother. There's a number of people in my life that society in general expects I'd interact with, and I don't.

I think it's fine to just severe ties with people that cause you stress, regardless of who they are. I know this causes pain to people around me, and to people I like in my family, but I also keep doing it.

It's possibly worse than this too. On the whole I find interacting with people stressful, and I avoid it. It's not that I don't like most people, but I almost always feel uncomfortable around others. The concept of loneliness doesn't really exist for me, it's almost always calm relief.

I think it's fine to just severe ties with people that cause you stress, regardless of who they are. I know this causes pain to people around me, and to people I like in my family, but I also keep doing it.

Absolutely agree with this. Although I'm possibly less concerned about others as they probably should be doing the same.

I have a brother I've not spoken to for about 5 years. The ball is in his court,and in that time I've definitely been better for it. I certainly didn't need to add putting up with his shit to the past few years.

Absolutely agree with this. Although I'm possibly less concerned about others as they probably should be doing the same.

I have a brother I've not spoken to for about 5 years. The ball is in his court,and in that time I've definitely been better for it. I certainly didn't need to add putting up with his shit to the past few years.
ok.

Yeah, a lot of people get really bent out of shape about the whole family thing. I've thought about this, but I don't give a fuck in all honesty. There aren't unlimited free passes for people to be shitty. I'll give family members more latitude, usually by virtue of them being around much more and it's inconvenient not to, but ultimately I'm done.

I feel more in common with with an English pensioner who's making wooden bowls nextdoor, or a woman who lives on a boat with 4 dogs up the way than a parent or a sibling, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I don't really care if you're genetically near me or not.

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but @ann post 's post above there reminded me of this.

I'm fine with ostracizing people within my own family, including close family, like siblings or parents. I simply cut off any meaningful interaction with my mother when I was young, including later when she got sick.

More recently I cut off any interaction at all with my brother, to the extent that most of the people I know are surprised to learn I even have a brother. There's a number of people in my life that society in general expects I'd interact with, and I don't.

It's possibly worse than this too. On the whole I find interacting with people stressful, and I avoid it. It's not that I don't like most people, but I almost always feel uncomfortable around others. The concept of loneliness doesn't really exist for me, it's almost always calm relief.
I get on well with my family and have no need to ostracise anyone, but I tend to be very much in agreement with your last paragraph there alright

edit: and I also don't see any problem whatsoever with people cutting out toxic family members. I've an uncle who is a full-blown alco and none of the family will have anything to do with him any more.

my brother in law and his partner are thinking of buying a house in spain, possibly portugal. i think it's a lunatic idea, but am keeping my mouth shut there.
Why though? I would love a house somewhere nice, and the time to avail of it.

as ann post mentioned, easy access to flights may not last. owning a house abroad that you can only stay in a month or two a year (likely for them) is stress and hassle you won't face by simply going for long term air bnbs which will probably be cheaper too.

as ann post mentioned, easy access to flights may not last. owning a house abroad that you can only stay in a month or two a year (likely for them) is stress and hassle you won't face by simply going for long term air bnbs which will probably be cheaper too.
Fair points

I retract my lifelong dream of owning a holiday home on the Algarve (whatever that is)

When I see the crazy shit going on all over the world I am thankful I live in Ireland.
No where is perfect, but it ain't the worst place to be.
That's my perspective of course.

Why though? I would love a house somewhere nice, and the time to avail of it.

I mean we'd all love that - reasons i think it's madness -
Weather changes, ipcc report points at the lowest level of an increase of 4 major weather events a year to 9. Temperature increases will have these places in drought for longer periods.
Also as mentioned - covid type events (my folks ended up trapped abroad for a few months there).
Flights themselves are a huge carbon thing so at the very outset, there isn't a sustainable way to do it.

I mean we'd all love that - reasons i think it's madness -
Weather changes, ipcc report points at the lowest level of an increase of 4 major weather events a year to 9. Temperature increases will have these places in drought for longer periods.
Also as mentioned - covid type events (my folks ended up trapped abroad for a few months there).
Flights themselves are a huge carbon thing so at the very outset, there isn't a sustainable way to do it.
Yeah, but a bit of sun’d be lovely though

my folks just sold their gaff in Spain. Hassle

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He put his back into pronouncing scum there.

It was sort of a scum then there was a small pause just to ensure everyone got back on board after that harsh jolt in the tracks.

Scum would be not part of my vocabulary, because every time I hear it I think of The Sun or something. I feel like saying scum would be a bit like reading UKIP literature, just to see what the fuss is about, and kind of agreeing with bits of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back