Unexpected covers (1 Viewer)

Probably most of these

this is a staggering work of genius:
SISTERS OF MERCY - Jolene. March 1983 Kid Jensen session.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Eldritch had the idea early on to play seemingly completely unsuitable covers in the absolute deadpan style of their own songs. the Sisters became masters of this and it was a big part of their repertoire.
other covers included a 7 minute version of HOT CHOCOLATE's 'Emma', 2001 tour version of 'Sugar Baby Love' and 'Comfortably Numb' among many others. Despite this the band rarely recorded the many covers they played at gigs.

''Of course I'm taking the piss - It's the only way to be serious about it. Same as it ever was.''
- Andrew Eldritch 1987

It's bit like those youtube videos where someone does song A in the style of Band B

Like this, but better

ffs prefuse

EQFLOLQUUAE0Tuo.jpg

The only Elton John touch I could detect was a slightly inappropriate honky tonk piano trill after YoYo Ma's solo

Can we have a morotorium on Miley Cyrus singing covers in this thread anyway? Clearly she's working her way through the entire classic rock genre and none of this is unexpected anymore.

10 year old me with a Toyah button badge on my school bag is giving you the frowning of a lifetime
Here though, does she actually have any decent songs? I've genuinely gone looking and come up blank. I love a good hype even if it's just a spoilt rich theatre kid like Toyah pretending to be a rebel, but you have to at least have some good tunes, no??

Here though, does she actually have any decent songs? I've genuinely gone looking and come up blank. I love a good hype even if it's just a spoilt rich theatre kid like Toyah pretending to be a rebel, but you have to at least have some good tunes, no??
It's a mystery alright

Ah leave Toyah alone.
I first became aware of her due to her regular appearances on day time TV. Yeah she's a bit middle England but harmless.
At one stage she and Robert were on some quiz for celeb couples presented by Philip Schofield.
They were trying to explain who Robert Fripp was on Saturday evening TV and mentioned Bowie and folks he had played with but never mentioned King Crimson

I will never forgive her for burning that copy of Eerie

I think Toyah can handle my dismissiveness, but within the realms of amazing early 80s pop culture and tunes she's pretty much the bottom of the barrel and I can't for the life of me understand why she was on the cover of a magazine pretty much weekly.

Jubilee's a great film! Mental stuff. That was her career high point as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back