UK Garage, My Arse! (1 Viewer)

Here, if you want to nail the Manics to a cross here's a good quote about new-age travellers from 1993:

So I then suggest that none of what he's just said justifies the state treating them like cattle: that the Manics must feel some sympathy with any victims of police violence. And, like one of those gnarled old blokes in the pub who professes undying loyalty to the law and the institutions of British democracy, Nicky suddenly says this:

"I think they should be treated more harshly, actually. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't care if they were rounded up and put on an island. I don't think they do any good. I don't think they perform any worthwhile role in society.”

"You know, this idea that the land is ours – that's a very obscure, pathetic notion. We live in a 20th Century democracy, where people buy land: farmer's land is their own land, and you can't accept New Age travellers reclaiming it. What the f*** have they done to earn it? I think they deserve total hatred and contempt. They are against everything we believe in as a group."

From this interview. It's a good read, but I repeat, they are not, and never were, a band to go looking for a coherent viewpoint from. In fact, i'd argue that a representation of and despair at the incoherence and cruelty of the modern world was more what their whole project was/is about.

Here, if you want to nail the Manics to a cross here's a good quote about new-age travellers from 1993:

So I then suggest that none of what he's just said justifies the state treating them like cattle: that the Manics must feel some sympathy with any victims of police violence. And, like one of those gnarled old blokes in the pub who professes undying loyalty to the law and the institutions of British democracy, Nicky suddenly says this:

"I think they should be treated more harshly, actually. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't care if they were rounded up and put on an island. I don't think they do any good. I don't think they perform any worthwhile role in society.”

"You know, this idea that the land is ours – that's a very obscure, pathetic notion. We live in a 20th Century democracy, where people buy land: farmer's land is their own land, and you can't accept New Age travellers reclaiming it. What the f*** have they done to earn it? I think they deserve total hatred and contempt. They are against everything we believe in as a group."

Ah yes I recall Nicky 'pull my' wire giving out about capitalism and then being laughed at because he's signed to fucking Sony or some massive shit

Kerrang ran an article (or at least part of a retrospective article) about 20 years ago where they looked back at that Prince cover and tried to wash their hands of it, like having him on the cover was a terrible secret that needed purging.

Kerrang ran an article (or at least part of a retrospective article) about 20 years ago where they looked back at that Prince cover and tried to wash their hands of it, like having him on the cover was a terrible secret that needed purging.
Probably 1999/2000, career low points for Prince. He was still going by a symbol for a name, dressing like this, and censoring his own songs to make them more Jehovah's Witness friendly.

R.162bd6d9dd621df4c8d9168ad2d94fde

There's loads of good music by him around then in retrospect but christ, I think people just wanted him to go away.

It was horrendous but purely because of the managers [unless you were lucky enough to work on the 2nd floor with the uncharacteristically pleasant Cork fellow.]
Was he a small guy with very short blond hair and glasses?

Was he a small guy with very short blond hair and glasses?
That's Ian from Yorkshire or somewhere Northern, I reckon. Both wore glasses and were, I'm guessing here, 5 foot 9 - in that ballpark of neither tall or desperately small... the manager was grey back then, whereas Ian could be considered blonde in a Damien Duff sort of way.

Ian was a cool guy. Very intense, and often prickly. A real sharp-witted gay man perennially smoking silk cut purple, always drank gin and tonics... he was like a character from the Bizarro Coronation Street... would have given Bet Gilroy a hard time in the Rovers Return with some withering snarks. He wouldn't have taken any shit from Mike Baldwin either. Big into Throbbing Gristle and other extreme music, and was an avid fan of Big Brother. Ian knew the floor like the back of his hand, but was probably too much of a nutter to ever make full floor manager.

The 2nd floor manager was very placid. You'd sometimes have to adjust the volume on him. How he made manager is a mystery to me; He lacked that psychiatric quality that seemed woven into the place.

That's Ian from Yorkshire or somewhere Northern, I reckon. Both wore glasses and were, I'm guessing here, 5 foot 9 - in that ballpark of neither tall or desperately small... the manager was grey back then, whereas Ian could be considered blonde in a Damien Duff sort of way.

Ian was a cool guy. Very intense, and often prickly. A real sharp-witted gay man perennially smoking silk cut purple, always drank gin and tonics... he was like a character from the Bizarro Coronation Street... would have given Bet Gilroy a hard time in the Rovers Return with some withering snarks. He wouldn't have taken any shit from Mike Baldwin either. Big into Throbbing Gristle and other extreme music, and was an avid fan of Big Brother. Ian knew the floor like the back of his hand, but was probably too much of a nutter to ever make full floor manager.

The 2nd floor manager was very placid. You'd sometimes have to adjust the volume on him. How he made manager is a mystery to me; He lacked that psychiatric quality that seemed woven into the place.
I’ve totally lost the thread here. Where are ye talking about?

lololol, just imagining richie edwards knocking out a tune about how transgender snowflakes are ruining brexit
🎶Deny, deny, look at your own wasted body and cry
crucify yourself in a mirror
but you can't change the wasted lies
inside the Dachau of the wilted British Mind 🎵

Hit after hit

edit: that was my attempt but thinking about it he pretty much already covered that subject in Sculpture of Man

Ah ok. I'm probably thinking of Ian then. The reason I ask is that he looked very like a lad I went to school with in Cork, even in his mannerisms. And I always wondered whether it was indeed him or someone else who looked exactly like him.

Ha! You'd be on safer ground saying that he couldn't, or didn't, play beautiful Johnny Marr-esque jangle guitar, shredding he very much could and did do. More of a wailer than a shredder I guess though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back