Twin Peaks: The Return (spoilers) (1 Viewer)

tumblr_oqh8qur4AD1ucbsp6o1_1280.jpg

Why a 1940s Novelty Song Was the Perfect Soundtrack for Twin Peaks’ Creepiest Scene

'Picture the biggest song of the summer, except it’s “Mairzy Doats,” and you’re not at the club, you’re in a death struggle with global fascism, and you begin to have some idea how often the average American was hearing this song in 1944. A war correspondent for the Chicago Daily News reported hearing it blasting from the loudspeaker system of a battleship shelling Normandy on D-Day. An American pilot told the Chicago Daily Tribune that he sang the song on a forced march at a Japanese prison camp. And the same paper reported that when the Allies took Italy, the Venetian gondoliers learned to sing it to please (or annoy) American soldiers on leave.'

should i rewatch the old ones before starting this?
I wouldn't think so. once you know the craic with cooper by the end of season 2 , that's all you need. gonna give FWWM a watch over the weekend. apparently there will be links with that, nothing too major though i'd say.

Finally watched them all over the last couple of days. I didn't love the first two hour one, at least not while it was happening. Now that I've settled into the style and rhythm of the new Twin Peaks, I'm enjoying it a lot more but it feels more like Inland Empire than Twin Peaks. The humour is flat, there is no way enough Angelo Badalamenti going on and the digital effects are largely very poor (the body under the bed covers in the first episode looked like something from a decade old video game).

That all said, the strands of story are developing really well. The Black Lodge sequences are amazing and Parts 3 and 4 have me hooked. There are so many different elements that I think I might need to start taking notes.

I wouldn't think so. once you know the craic with cooper by the end of season 2 , that's all you need. gonna give FWWM a watch over the weekend. apparently there will be links with that, nothing too major though i'd say.
There's been a fair few details calling back to FWWM so far. Based on the plot so far, I reckon FWWM will become more important.

Oh and I was re-reading a book of David Lynch's art last night and found this interesting link between the world depicted in Twin Peaks and that of Blue Velvet:
IMG_7699.JPG IMG_7700.JPG

Makes me wonder if Frank from Blue Velvet could be seen as a Bob-like manifestation of evil?

really shouldn't need spoilers but anyway...
Diane is Laura Dern! Brilliant. Gonna be interesting to see what that character brings to the table

6 episodes down, I am really fucking enjoying this. Was finding Dougie a bit of a drag last week but am warming to him. having said that, hopefully Coop snaps into action at some stage. no Audrey Horne yet, I'm predicting her arrival when the keys arrive in the post at the Great Northern.

Still pretty much impossible to see where it's going but the Laura Palmer reveal tonight was pretty interesting.

the encounter between dougie and that nutcase with the ice pick should be a good laugh..
Ike the Spike! What a name and what a character!

I'm surprised how long they're taking to resolve the Dougie/Coop transition. Lots of people losing their shit over it but it's playing out beautifully. You can see Coop emerge slowly in everything he does, MacLachlan is doing a great job of playing the different doppelgängers (tropplegängers?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back