True Detective Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Whattya mean why? Cos you can. Why were people in this thread trying to guess what was going to happen, no one in here is the writer.

Last edited:
It's fucking ridiculous at this point how blindly people jump on bandwagons of hatred or positivity with modern culture.
Hyperbole rules!
Well, exactly. People are in the tank against something before they've seen it. It is the dumbest shit going.
Gawker were running "Who is the True Detetctive? shit months before it aired. Totally tipped their hand.
Very few people in the media or the 'hot take economy' wanted to like this.

We get the Twittersphere we deserve.

John Steppling loved it and thinks if you like it you are a much smarter person than anyone else

Running across the entire landscape that Pizzolatto creates in the second season is a sense that desire is twisted and bludgeoned while we are still children, and that nobody escapes. Velcoro (Colin Farrell) is perhaps the character in all of modern TV who is most obviously, nakedly, marked for death.

Dementia Morbidity

Last edited:
Both series of True Detective drew in and betrayed viewers by laying out murder investigations that hinted at deep, complex conspiracies and state corruption, then utterly failing to follow through. The first series pinned everything on a lone in-bred psychopath with only a vague relationship to the shadowy Dionysian cult who initially ritually killed the forgotten-about girl found bound by a tree, the second on a couple of angry orphans who have somehow managed to construct normal and apparently successful professional lives, working in Hollywood and as a PA to a high-ranking official, just so that they can throw it all away by taking bloody revenge on crooked cops. Both endings were literal cop-outs, the truth ultimately discovered by the 'true' detectives almost by accident.

In both series, I noted that it takes a good clearing-out of the balls before the magic happens. Rust had to aggressively fuck his partner's wife from behind (albeit in flashback) before he could properly channel the spirit guide and realise that the stars are meaningful, despite previously so many spent years telling everyone they are in fact meaningless that you'd have expected him to at least be a bit embarrassed at his volte face. Meanwhile, after his first fuck since his wife was raped, inspiration hits Velcoro as he suddenly links an old photo of two kids with some cameraman he saw off in the distance in episode 3, solving the crime in such a trivial way that suggests Caspere must have been the stupidest man alive not to have copped on to who his secretary was. The crow's mask? Meaningless! Just like the cult-killing first time round. The guy who writes this stuff is a prick.

Running across the entire landscape that Pizzolatto creates in the second season is a sense that desire is twisted and bludgeoned while we are still children, and that nobody escapes. Velcoro (Colin Farrell) is perhaps the character in all of modern TV who is most obviously, nakedly, marked for death.

Load of bollocks.

John Steppling loved it and thinks if you like it you are a much smarter person than anyone else
My internet boyfriend, Alex Pappademas, also loved it. He kind of waved away all of Wesley Morris's criticisms the way you would talking about someone that you're in love with.

you should respond to his blog with your post above

Thanks but it's perhaps a bit besides his points... tl;dr but I scanned it and saw Kristeva mentioned in there. If applying feminist psychoanalytic theory is how he engages with a cop show, he might regard my qualms about the plot as somehow trivial.

Thanks but it's perhaps a bit besides his points... tl;dr but I scanned it and saw Kristeva mentioned in there. If applying feminist psychoanalytic theory is how he engages with a cop show, he might regard my qualms about the plot as somehow trivial.
Ah now, the show has a lead character whose entire personality is based on the fact that she was raped as a child, you can't pretend it's not applicable.

My internet boyfriend, Alex Pappademas, also loved it. He kind of waved away all of Wesley Morris's criticisms the way you would talking about someone that you're in love with.

I kind of found it lacking, both for all of what oh Shit said above, and the fact that it's only point seemed to be "man... those bad guys in power are pretty bad", the whole "bad men doing bad things" theme.
That's already the starting point for half the shows out there but True Detective seemed to want to be congratulated for this.

The weird obvious machoness all throughout wrecked my head as well. To take a random example, and there are probably hundreds including everytime Frank opened his mouth; why have the simpering milksop guy leading the sexual harrassment seminar? The guy we all have a laugh at as Ani derails the seminar by detailing her sexual exploits to all the moronic, cavemen also in the seminar. Hur hur, sexy woman like sex, thinking is bad. It was the kind of situation Joey in Friends would end up in.

Are we still writing shows like this? Really?

Last edited:
In both series, I noted that it takes a good clearing-out of the balls before the magic happens. Rust had to aggressively fuck his partner's wife from behind (albeit in flashback) before he could properly channel the spirit guide and realise that the stars are meaningful, despite previously so many spent years telling everyone they are in fact meaningless that you'd have expected him to at least be a bit embarrassed at his volte face. Meanwhile, after his first fuck since his wife was raped, inspiration hits Velcoro as he suddenly links an old photo of two kids with some cameraman he saw off in the distance in episode 3, solving the crime in such a trivial way that suggests Caspere must have been the stupidest man alive not to have copped on to who his secretary was. The crow's mask? Meaningless! Just like the cult-killing first time round. The guy who writes this stuff is a prick.
But the first epiphany fuck didn't lead to the solving of the crime, in fact it actively postponed it by years by pitching a rift between the main characters. And at least in the first season the cult and conspiracy aspect was vividly and eerily portrayed and in the end, real. The lone hick didn't piss me off because it wasn't like there weren't others, he was just the only one left by the time they got their shit together.

The second series just made very little sense in terms of a crime narrative but the case was a side-show to a load of personal melodrama. If you liked the latter you excused the former.

It's fucking ridiculous at this point how blindly people jump on bandwagons of hatred or positivity with modern culture.
Hyperbole rules!
I loved the first episode. But it got progressively worse from there. I know you weren't saying it but I definitely wasn't just waiting to jump on it's shortcomings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back