Trigger Warning (2 Viewers)

This is what's wrong with today's schooling! Once upon a time if you were stupid teachers would tell you, over and over and over, and so when you got older if you had a dumb opinion you'd know it was dumb and wouldn't be trying to convince the world you were right.
so long as you are now also allowed tell teachers what they are really like, fair enough.

what's the old adage*? something like there's a difference between knowing enough about a topic to think you're right, and knowing enough to know you're wrong?

*it was just in a youtube ad featuring neil degrasse tyson, so it must be true.

Not really preparation for the workplace though?
I haven't had a job since 1995.

If I have my own bedroom, a computer with internet and pair of runners to go walking, any other luxuries are a bonus.

calling people names shouldn't be acceptable.
in the long run an invaluable benefit I got from school is learning how NOT to treat people but at a heavy cost.
many teachers were lovely though and led by example going above and beyond at times.
I've said all this before...

calling people names shouldn't be acceptable.
They don't do that in schools anymore, at least not in my (or any of my friends') kids' schools

My Da's primary school teacher used to call him "The Chinaman" because he was so bad at spelling. Mind you that was super-mild compared to the physical punishment that used to be meted out on a daily basis.

They don't do that in schools anymore, at least not in my (or any of my friends') kids' schools

My Da's primary school teacher used to call him "The Chinaman" because he was so bad at spelling. Mind you that was super-mild compared to the physical punishment that used to be meted out on a daily basis.

not brilliant at spelling here either but my main speciality is leaving words out of sentences.

even with a bad boss you are an adult and know your rights.
with kids when I was young you weren't told your rights and your ignorance and lack of experience could be used against you easily. so I don't think it's fair comparison.

a couple of male teachers at my school from 89-93 would call somone they considered stupid or an eejit "an Arab".
they had clearly said this for a long time (pre Gulf War etc) and the odd kid would say this too.
a local thing that is long gone thankfully.

I worked for a couple of years after school, the worst individual thing a boss did to me was mimic my voice a few times on the phone. so nothing major really.
the problem was working on a piggery was causing me to be very depressed and I became a vegan and then strongly against my parents wishes quit when I had nothing else lined up.
the day I left that gig was last day of my life I suffered with depression.

the second guy I worked for was my friends father. I got paid far less but was treated brilliantly and I am still close friends with guy and met him for 90 minutes a few weeks ago.

a couple of male teachers at my school from 89-93 would call somone they considered stupid or an eejit "an Arab".
they had clearly said this for a long time (pre Gulf War etc) and the odd kid would say this too.
a local thing that is long gone thankfully.
where you from more or less
I remember the phrase 'a filthy arab' being used to describe kids spitting, farting etc in portlaoise in the 80s?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

he even got a "hear hear''!
anyone remember this? BACK TO THE PLANET were big on the crusty/traveler scene and signed to a major label in 1993.
I can't find the actual video for their down with the kids minor hit Teenage Turtles which goes
''I blame the Turtles"

anyone remember this? BACK TO THE PLANET were big on the crusty/traveler scene and signed to a major label in 1993.
I can't find the actual video for their down with the kids minor hit Teenage Turtles which goes
''I blame the Turtles"

I had completely forgotten about Back to the Planet. I'm almost sure I saw them live somewhere

Where is the 90s nostalgia thread?

''I blame the Turtles"

What is this

No wonder everyone became a fucking Tory

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back